Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my first salt water tank. I am going to use a 55G tank for my sump. I have an ATI BM 250 skimmer. I also have two external pumps that were given to me. I tried to design a sump that will be able to use the above two pieces of equipment as well as maximize the size of the refuge section. In addition, i did not want to have TONS of flow in the refuge section.

With these goals in mind i drew up the plans below. Notice the "raised refuge" section. I will T off a smaller tube from my inlet to send pre-skimmed water to the refuge. This allows me to control the flow in the refuge. This section is raised to allow water to flow to the return bulk heads. I could potentially use the 2 inches at the bottom to hold carbon bags, or any other number of goodies.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• sumpLessBaff.jpg
    sumpLessBaff.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 239

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Nice design you got their, one thing it will cost you a lot more to design something like this, you can eliminate a lot of the glass by putting fuge on one side and skimmer are on the other side and making your return are in the center. By t'ing of your drain you can still be able to control flow to the fuge without going nuts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sorry. I am working onsite and cant take a pic until the weekend. But its pretty much an empty 55G tank with two holes cut on the side that fits two bulkheads. The tank and the bulkheads were given to me.

there are no baffles placed inside yet. I will get some acrylic and put the sump together once i finalize the plans.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Our setup is a lot like the one rkaragolzer posted. Except for the fact that the drains are divided. One goes into the fuge and the other into the skimmer. Both overflow into the center chamber where the return pump is.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that design. Its makes it much simpler, and still allow me to set perfect heights in my refuge and skimmer section. And the return section much easier to deal with in terms of ATO, and dosing.

I just need to make sure i do a good job with the silicone, since the baffles will be against only one pane of the tank.

[ninja edit] can you also send me the sketchup file. Thanks. [/ninja edit]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the gap is to have the skimmer section and the refuge section independently fed and drained. If i get at least 10" inside the skimmer section i should be good. But you are right... i might need to make the front section 1" wide instead of 2".

I actually prefer the skimmer, then fuge. The fuge space will reduce the amount of microbubbles further going into the display.

I know that's how I liked mine too but it seems like he'd rather have the fuge first that's why I suggested it in that order. But if you think about it though, wouldn't the extra the nutrients be good for a fuge over the fact of decreasing microbubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: