Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may know me from RC and if you do not, I am Ninja. I have a build thread on RC but didn't realize how many locals from LI and Manhattan were on here.

I'm new to reefing but I'm determined to build a balanced mix-reef tank with a stable ecosystem. First let me say that there is so much to learn but I've been able to make quick progress on my down time. I'm surprised with my DIY skills since I won't have an unlimited budget but so far I have gotten some decent feedback.

My goals are to establish a spacious, energy efficient and quality tank. I plan on keeping anemones, lps and gradually more sps. The main thing that I wanted to focus on was water filtration (flow) and open aquascaping. Energy efficiency is important so I have been thinking of ways to help me keep the overall setup efficient.

At first I really wanted to go with a Rimless 6' tank with a very contemporary style but I made somewhat of a 360deg turn. I'm working with a new 80 gallon RR tank with corner a overflow. I intend on doing Live Sand and Live Rock to help with the filtration and pickup some good critters along the way.

I actually did a DIY stand before I got the tank and kept the design similar to our family house. 80 gallons is quite large enough for me for now So what is a thread w/out pics huh? Here is my DIY stand- I was quite pleased with the stability and final look.
I worked on it alone and with very limited tools- here she is:

0d670952.jpg

7b499d6d.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby36S
I liked the oversized design and based on what I've read, hopefully it will lower the production of micro-bubbles and give me a nice sized fuge. The great thing about the DIY stand is that you control the spacing below the DT.

Skimmer: Super Octopus 2000
I wanted a quality skimmer that would ideally be a beast for my tank size. After lots of research, I decided on a Super Octopus 2000- it should be a great fit for the sump.

Power heads/Pumps: MP40s
Vortech MP40s all the way! Can't wait for them! I was concerned about too much power but with the added control, I should be able to work with the different levels.

ATO: Tunze + RO/DI 5 Stage Plus
The Osmolator will be a fun project and I'm looking forward to working on setting up a container for it. I could've done a manual ATO but I liked the idea of having excellent precision and I plan on using it for something else later on

Controller: Apex Jr
I spent a lot of time picking one out but this should be a economical and quality fit for my tank. I can't wait to utilize it to add a level of security and some automation.

Lighting: LEDs!
I know there has been a lot of concern about coral growth and LEDs but I will be going with all LEDs. At first I wanted the AI Sols but I ordered a kit to try out a powerful DIY. More to come on the DIY led kit later on. I might add AI sols but I really want to wait on this.

Heaters- Jager

I just placed my order for the above and should be getting it all in the next few days. I still have a lot to think about in terms of my LR and test kits. I want to wait for the carbon but I know I have to pickup my test kits soon. There are too many test kits to choose from and I really want to keep a few tools that will measure most of the levels.

Everything came nearly a month ago:
PA-Ship1.jpg

LED Project - still working on this
RapidKit.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

Correct.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

I should have the LED casing done this weekend. Originally I wanted it to look something like this but I might be ditching the wood:
Led-Casing-Bottom.jpg

Finally got the RO out and filled my bins:
RODI.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Time for all of you to share your knowledge and hit me with comments or feedback.

Thx for reading.

Yours truly,
NiNJA

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have to thank my buds from LIRA and NYRC. The toughest part of the build was the LEDs and I bugged OPG so much, lol. The funny thing is that I still have to complete the LED once I have the Apex here, but that really is another thread it self. I can't decide on which Apex or the accessory for 2 drivers.

Im picking up the LR and sand tomorrow and then Ill fill the tank with the water. Should I use the heater for the LR or skip it for the first two days?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Not bad for a ninja! Actually, it looks like you're off to an awesome start. Good luck :)

If it won't kill you, you *can* run your heater. Just make sure it doesn't heat up the water too much.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You seem set it going now, just need water and rocks to start the cycle. Also, very nice job on the cabinet, looks great. I've been wanting to do a diy led fixture as well, just can't convince myself. Keep on progressing.

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I think I know what you mean about the skinner. I haven't even used the thing and it s taking up a ton of space in there. I'll find out tomorrow- I'm guessing it's ok to have all the equipment on once I put the rock and sand in?

Another Ninja huh? Well from what I hear, I am THE NINJA- lol. Unless the other Ninja is from the same ninja school/temple.

Last edited:

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in a shade covered area but I've got vinyl on it for now. I just like having it out b of the amount of waste water. Easier to use the water for re plants/grass.

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the skimmer:

I have it sitting on a 5 inch eggcrate platform. Im not sure if the skimmer is actually doing its thing. I know that you are suppose to leave it on for a few hours but I had a general question about the water level. Currently I turned the valve so that the water is sitting right below the max level. My question is should there be any water in the collection cup all the way on the top? Or should the water just remain below the max line and the bubbles will push the debris up there.
IMG_1207.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg

Just want to make sure I have it right. Also, the area where the valve is and the skimmers return- should that be submerged or should it be above water? If above water, I will just add pvc to that portion.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I thought we don't like college kids and not to mention a college kid Ninja!!!

J/K

Can't wait til you finish the build. Let the pics continue.

I think if you leave the skimmer water level at the level shown in the pic, it will skim dry and the skimmate will much darker. If you adjust to higher, the skimmer will make wetter skimmate and you may have to empty if more often.

BTW, what level are you in Ninjisu? Can you disappear without a trace or you are only up to leaving the clothes behind?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: