Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The tank is a reef ready AGA with a corner overflow and a standard AGA stand.
I dont like the cheaply made AGA stands, so i desided to build my own.
This is the first DYI wood project for me.
Please be kind with your comments:):smash:
The stand is 43 inches tall and is made out of 2X4, 2x6, 1/2 and 3/4 plywood.
Thanks
Gary

Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Very nice Gary. Are you done with it? Are you planning to enclose it? Stain it? Doors?

Looks like it'll hold up a :tank: as well as a tank. lol

Lookin' good so far.

Russ

Thank's Russ.
I am planning to enclose it with 1/2" plywood in the front and sides and painted black. Monday I am going to buy some wood moldings and doors.

I want it to hold a :tank: , because i like to:sleeping: at night. :eek:rangehat

Russ do you think is ok if i don't use any center support in the front.?

Thanks
Gary

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nice work! 43" tall. nice. do you have or have you had a tank that tall? Does anything bother you about it? I'm thinking about going taller on my stand (right now it's 36) and was looking for some pros/cons of going that tall.

It will hold, but if you want to be safe you can put another length of 2x6 across the front. Also, you could make a removable center brace for the front.

Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
bad coffee said:
Nice work! 43" tall. nice. do you have or have you had a tank that tall?
Does anything bother you about it?
I'm thinking about going taller on my stand (right now it's 36) and was looking for some pros/cons of going that tall.
It will hold, but if you want to be safe you can put another length of 2x6 across the front. Also, you could make a removable center brace for the front.
Thanks guys:)
bad coffee

My 37gallon is sitting on a 37" stand.
The only thing bothering me is the total height (43" stand+ 24" tank+ 14" canopy=81"). I have a 7 year old son and i am thinking about bolding the tank to the wall so i don't have to worry about tumbling forward.

My other problem is with the corner overflow. I have to cut one of the support 2X4 in that corner. I am thinking about cutting a 2X4 and connect the back with the side in that corner.

Pros for me was the extra space under the tank.
Cons is maintanance. I am 6.2' and still have to use a ladder.

I would make a removable center brace for extra support and for the doors to have somewhere to stop.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Gary, what length is the stand/tank? I'm going with, no need for any front support. The tank looks no longer than 48". Same as mine. My horizontal dimensional lumber is 2 x 6's also. I have no front support at all. And it's fine.

BTW, my tank is 45" high. I love the room underneath.

Also, no need for a front support to have your doors close. Just screw in a cleat to the back of one of the doors. Have the cleat halfway on one door and overlapping behind the other door. It will be like a double cabinet door in a kitchen and look great. No support to get in your way.

LMK if you would like a pic of my stand. It is in-wall, but from behind it is nothing different than a typical stand.

Russ

Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Kris, Tony and Sam Thanks guys:)

Russ, the stand is 49" and the tank is 48".
Wow 45" high and i was afraid for the 43':scratch:)
I think at the end i will put a removable front support.
Gary

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Astoria said:
Kris, Tony and Sam Thanks guys:)

Russ, the stand is 49" and the tank is 48".
Wow 45" high and i was afraid for the 43':scratch:)
I think at the end i will put a removable front support.
Gary

It's a waste of your efforts to add the support. If it makes you sleep easier, then go for it. Mine has been without it for two years. It is much easier to work under there and not have to remove it or have it in your way. Your stand is 'uber overbuilt' :wink1: anyway.

As for 45" high, I've always favored the appearance of tanks that allow me to look straight ahead at them without having to bend over to see what's in it. I find that my guests and myself included will observe the tank longer if they are not hunched over to see what's in there.

And needless to say, the room below is like heaven sent.

Russ

Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Russ, i agree 100% with you about how much easier is to look a tank at eye level.
Most of the people when they put wall paintings or posters, everything is eye level. Only our tanks coming with 30" stands. ( Some tanks here at MR are better than art pieces:) )

Russ can you upload a picture or pictures of you tank and stand to this thread?
Thanks
Gary

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Astoria said:
Russ, i agree 100% with you about how much easier is to look a tank at eye level.
Most of the people when they put wall paintings or posters, everything is eye level. Only our tanks coming with 30" stands. ( Some tanks here at MR are better than art pieces:) )

Russ can you upload a picture or pictures of you tank and stand to this thread?
Thanks
Gary

No problem Gary. Remember it is in-wall so the 'stand' is only visible from behind.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You asked for it, you got it. Here are some pix.

First pic shows the height of the stand.
Second pic shows the back of the stand.
Third pic shows the underside of one corner.
Fourth shows the side of the stand that would be on the left if you were in front of the tank facing it.

Russ

Attachments

• height measurement.jpg
    height measurement.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 62
  • rear of tank.jpg
    rear of tank.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 61
  • underneath stand.jpg
    underneath stand.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 63
  • front left from back.jpg
    front left from back.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 64

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: