thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i have been on mr for quite awhile reading, collecting equipment i would need, and slowly getting ready to set my tank up. i dont post as much as i read and have been out of the hobby for a long time.

Approx. 2+ years of getting ready i now have my tank up and running. the tank itself is an aga 90 rr, homemade 2x4 stand which is built into the wall in my basement. i have to finish up the trim work to complete the display. The tank has close to 180 pounds of mostly live rock, that i bought from local MR members, and a few pounds of base rock.
i am currently using a 4x54w ho t5 light, berlin skimmer, with two koralia4 pumps inside the aquarium. i am looking to upgrade my sump to a fuge/sump type setup very soon.

the tank itself is up and running close to 2 weeks now and had a minor set back today when i came home from work. i went to use my new DD refractometer and noticed reddish/orange looking "things" on the rear glass wall of the tank.... a quick text and search on MR and i confirmed flatworms in all of 3 minutes. Out the door to abso fish on rt46 (closest) and i returned home with fwe and some carbon. the fwe appeared to work rather quickly and hopefully after a decent water change things will slowly return to normal. i would have done the change tonight but i need to pu water.
i will try to get pics up as soon as i can, very open to suggestions and advice: and thanks to everyone who has answered some questions or already pointed me in the right direction.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
By far my favorite (looking) fish we have is the Radiant Wrasse we picked up from Ryan @ Nanoaquatics. Just an insanely awesome fish! Love watching him bury himself at bedtime too. They stay a very manageable 4-5" too.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
+1 6 lines look cool but they can be the biggest @#$%^$&#@^#&. Better to just avoid them. The stories of them not causing any problems are few and far between.

I think smaller tanks are easier to stock because you have far more options with the smaller fish than you do the larger species that are available.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Glad you like it, easily the best unit I have ever seen.

Radiants are great looking wrasses. I don't personally like them for smaller reefs because when a 5" wrasse freaks and flies into the sand it can make a big mess (it will happen at some point) and cause problems. Plus, larger fish can get curious and put smaller things in their mouth, it happens sometimes.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Flat worm adventure has ended, my new sump and pump is set, and my levels are looking good. I just ordered a cleanup crew from reef cleaners today and will hopefully finish the trim on the outside wall that the display tanks sits on this weekend, provided Irene takes it easy. Then I can get some pics up!

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Need to start thinking what I will stock tank with...

So far I'm leaning toward a sunrise dottyback and tailspot wrasse, I've nixed the 6line thanks to the many posts wishing they never dropped one in tank
Very open to suggestions

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Dottybacks can be pretty mean too so you have to be careful with them. When I google Tailspot Wrasse I get Mystery and Melanurus Wrasses. Which were you considering? Mysterys are awesome. We just picked one up and it's just beautiful. My favorite fish I have is my Mandarin and Red Scooter Dragonet. Just love their attitudes!

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i saw the same thing when i looked them up online. i guess it will come down to availability, provided no real difference with demeanor/care of fish

i saw the db's are semi aggresive..... maybe different direction or something colored same way i think they are sharp looking

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
do you need to feed your mystery anything special to get him adapted to tank? somewhere i read said live shrimp in the begining? but i have been checking so many websites everynow and again the site puts a unique spin on

it also comes up as hoevens wrasse?

that same site had pics of fairy wrasse, said acceptbale in pairs in aquariums but they need to be introduced to tank first as they are timid. they look very nice as well

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: