loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I said I wasn't going to set up a frag tank. The talk about LED's got me thinking though. I needed the frag tank. Some of my stuff gets a little out of control and it's nice having a place to keep it until I get rid of it. I wanted to do this spending the least possible amount of money. So I used my old sump which is 16L X 12W X 16H. It's tee'd in off of my main pump, so no electricity increase. I was going to run an old 175 watt MH but I really didn't want to deal with the heat and electricity. So I decided to try the LED thing.
I could have waited until these things are being made for the aquarium, but I have a feeling when the technology is out there that they will be charging hobbyists an arm and a leg for this stuff. Keep in mind that LED's will last up to 11 years if ran 24/7. I went through a regular company who sells LED's and really know nothing about fish tanks. This costed me very little. I spent around half of what I would have spent if I bought a 150 watt MH set up. They said each bulb I purchased would be equal to about 25 watts of MH. The LED's put out very little heat and currently, the lights are unnoticible on my electric bill. The company said that each bulb costs between 6 to 12 cents a month if ran for 24/7.
This is all a project at the moment, testing different corals and light arrangements. Results are looking good so far. With only 2 bulbs, I had no problem with zoos, mushrooms, and Keny Trees placed 3 inches off of the bottom. I added 2 more bulbs and I'm keeping Montipora Digitata in there. Polyp extension looks great and color has darkened. I'm going to add 2 to 4 more bulbs and try keeping a couple of pieces of acropora I fragged in there. I'll keep everyone posted on how well these do.

Attachments

• fragtank 002.jpg
    fragtank 002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 380

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Noodleman, my bad, I got them from autolumination.com. Tony, I used a reflector from an old PC hood I had. The bulbs stick down too far, so I don't think the reflector is doing much. The angle of light that comes from the bulbs doesn't spread as well as I had hoped, so I'll be messing around with different angles and modify the reflector. I'm adding the extra bulbs today and making slight modifications to the reflector. I'll also add an acro frag today and see how it does.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Dave, I'm not too sure how well these will do for phyto, but if it's keeping corals happy, why not phyto?
Fritz, thanks for the info. I've been told that one of the great things about LED's is that the color actually shifts very little throughout the life of the bulb. I'll keep the info you proivded in mind and keep you updated.
This has only been up for a couple of weeks. It's more of an experiment than anything else. Any comments are appreciated. After the mods are done today, I'll post pics focusing more on the lights themselves. I'm really hoping this works out. It's a great option for guys running nanos.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks Fry, was looking for a kind of parts list, and a wiring diagram as well as Ideas on what color to use for actinic lighting and 10k lighting (white I know) Transformers to use and such things like that. Pretty much If I were to light my 55 with LEDs what would I need?

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
now let not go over our head and start lighting our whole reefs with leds only.I bet there is alot more to it then just putting on some led lights.. Let have Chris experiment with the led and differend kind of bulbs on his frag tank and then start moving forward :D

Chris, let see the a pic of the led light and ballast(ac adaptor) setup..

so far the frag tank looks great. Let hope it grow faster in led then in mh ;) Then we could all go and switch and save a whole bunch of money :D

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
everything depends on which leds and how many you are going to use for a patten i boujht 10MM 130000 mcd white going to change some to blue leds

Attachments

• LEDsOn.jpg
    LEDsOn.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 149

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Now fry, that's cool. Guys, Keep in mind that I'm no electrician. I actually hate dealing with electricity. I cannot do what Frank does. This whole thing is also completely experimental at the moment. I'm with CTX on this one. Let's slow down a little and see if I fail miserably before we worry about changing over our whole system. I have already found things I don't like about the set up I chose. However, it would be signifigantly easier to hook up what I've got as opposed to the professional job frank did. Damn, Frank, you are going to make me feel bad about posting my ghetto-licious hood pics compared to yours.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
the LED's that tullio had at NERAC had reflectors. HE used like a couple of long rows of LED's on his setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: