slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading from a 47gallon column to a Deep Blue 90 Reef Ready. This is my 5th Saltwater tank since I started in the hobby in 1999. Somehow I've always managed to avoid a sump in my builds as my previous largest tank was a 55.

The purpose of this thread is to document my build and tank evolution.

I was originally supposed to get a custom made 90gal starfire tank but it broke before I was able to pick it up. So, the next closest thing available was the deep blue. Despite my disappointment, I think the DB 90 is a great value and a nice tank. So far the only drawback that I've seen is the bulkheads being cheap and use barb fittings. Replacements are already on order is I plan to use a herbie setup using PVC.

Here is the stand that my father and I built. It is built like a rock for sure. To anyone out there that likes to overkill their stands, do note that you may be doing so at the expense of interior space. Despite my measurements to fit a 30Gallon sump underneath, I am left with almost no room for topoff containers and little headroom. Make sure you calculate the space needed for everything you want to put in the cabinet.

Stand was built using 2x4's with plywood for the base and sump and 2x6's without plywood for the tank.
img0443ln.jpg

Corners were pocket drilled using a Kreg and screwed with 3" deck screws
img0440va.jpg

Here is the completed frame.

img0445fd.jpg

As you can see the 30gal sump barely fits. Its dimensions are 36x16x12
img0448gn.jpg

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is the frame skinned with 1x6 Oak. Also I decided to build a 2x4 frame to hold my LED array. It is a homemade led array (12RB and 12 Cool White) attached to a monster heatsink. The light holder is painted white and will be later covered up with 1x6 Oak to hide the lights and give it a cleaner look.

img0455xx.jpg

Here it is the stand with the tank on it. If you look closely, you'll see that I've removed the top piece of plywood. I was planning on using that for the starfire tank that I was supposed to get, but will not use it for this tank.
img0466bn.jpg

I decided to stain the oak with a red oak color that we've used elsewhere in the house. This product is natural and almost completely odorless. It is super easy to apply to. Tank is taped off to keep the stain off of it.

Plumbing is a 3/4" PVC return from a mag9.5. It pumps up and then T's off to two low quality lineloc type fittings. These will be replaced too as they were included with the DB RR kit.

img0481bu.jpg

Another shot of the stand. Still no doors yet.
img0482dt.jpg

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fill'er UP!

To complicate the matter, my wife wanted to put the new tank in the same spot as the old tank.

First I removed all of the coral, and fish, and live rock. The live rock went into the empty new tank. I did some basic aquascaping and arranged the bigger rocks. Since I was upgrading from a 47 gallon I decided to reuse that water for the new tank so I dumped it into a 46 gallon brute container. With the water, rocks and livestock out of the way I was able to slide the old tank and stand out of the way. Thank goodness for the slim felt pads underneath, they made this job easy. I also put felt sliders under the new tank too.

After moving the new tank into position I added in 80lbs of argonite and 50lbs of bermuda sand. This turned out to be more material than I though, so I will later relocate some to the refugium. I then pumped back in the 40+ gallons of old water and another 50 gallons of freshly made saltwater. This new water was RODI and I used reef crystals.

To speed up the clarity I used my old fluval to clean up some sediment. Unfortunately I did not have the strainer on and my chromis got stuck in the intake :( I was hoping I wouldnt have any casualties, and I really do like chromis, so I will make sure to pickup a bunch in a few weeks once everything shakes out.

img0483x.jpg

slytsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks guys! I cannot believe how much work this entire project has been. What a mess too!

I think I already have 50 hours into this project with some more to go. 30hours or so on the stand, few hours rinsing sand, making RO, mixing saltwater...Several hours on the plumbing, and a good 10 trips to homedepot. I think my wife thinks I am now crazy, but from what I can tell this is "normal" for a reefer!

I forgot to mention that a week before I got the tank I lost 4 fish due to an unplugged powerhead and skimmer for 20 hours. i lost my 6line wrasse, 2 blue eyed cardinals, blue hippo tang and a coral banded shrimp. I assume the loss was due to those things being unplugged items because all parameters were correct. Their bodies were laying on the ground right next to each other, it was creepy and like nothing I've seen before. My corals are fine, and have had no noticable setback due to this incident. So all this work for my two 6 year old clowns.. I hope they are enjoying their new space!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: