nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Even though I won't be putting this new tank up for a month, I've got nearly all the equipment collected and am starting to get excited. Have a few questions that hopefully you can help me out with. Here's a pic of the tank and stand. Gonna need a bath and some new paint.

6436121087_acfd206390_b.jpg

Equipment list:
24"x24"x24" 3 rimless side starfire tank
Custom Acrylic Sump
Ecotech Radion XR30w
2x MP10es w
Apex Lite - pH, temp, WXM
SWC cone skimmer - not sure if its the 120 or 160 will have to measure it but either will be fine I think
Eheim-JAGER 200 Watt heater
CA 2200 return
BRS Dual Reactor / Phosban Reactor - have both likely will use one or the other unless I run bio pellets at some point

So this will be my second tank and my first with a sump. How would you setup this sump?
6436120929_f261d413af_b.jpg

6436121017_66c373eba6_b.jpg

Filter sock holders in the top right make me think drain there but then what is that PVC on the top left. plus the baffles are over there.
Bottom right is too small for the skimmer so I figure its the return section?

Will post more updates as I get things cleaned up and looking right. Should be getting wet and transferring livestock in early 2012.

-Nick

ps sorry about the crappy iPhone pics I will get out the DSLR once I have something nice to take pics of

nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
update

quick update - my rodi unit fell and broke recently due to this and the low water pressure in my new building I will be trying treated tap water for this tank. I realize this might end up being an issue but for now its what I'm doing.

I did the initial fill last night with tap water treated with Prime and my usual ESV salt. My tap water has a tds around 40 I believe which isn't horrible. If and when I run into issues I'll go back to RODI or find a place to buy RO water but I'm gonna give this a shot first.

If this influences what critters I can keep I think I may just need to accept it for now.

I'll be back with pics in a few days!

ps if anyone has had success using tap water feel free to share tips

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i really hope you dont do that. be smart, wait and buy another rodi or fix that one.

+1
It looks like you have done everything else first class, the equipiment, the sweet tank...don't cheap out due to the ro/di issue. Your rocks & sand will be absorbing all of the 40 ppm of who-knows-what from your tap water and will turn them into an algae factory.

Aim higher..please? :flirt:

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I agree get the RODI going.

I didn't believe the hype. 1 1/2 months later major algea growing in my 20 gallon. Guess what? I only use RO/DI water now.
My wife even helps to run the RO/DI for me, because she wants a clean tank.

My 90 gallon was started with RODI only and so far no algea.

So yeah i believe the hype. :sgrin:

nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get that zero water filter!! 0tds.

http://www.zerowater.com/

HAHA. It's funny getting an RODI right from the start was probably one of my best moves as a newbie. Depending on how much this tank ends up evaporating I can hopefully get away with buying ro or distilled water locally for top of and water changes. Any reefers in Harlem with RODI units feel free to chime in would be happy to trade you some frags.

Really if the problems with my tap are the nitrate / phosphate type we have many options in the hobby for dealing with this. ie I'm gonna run my phosban reactor right from the start instead of waiting to see if I need it.

The real danger with tap is the lurking mystery of what could be in there.

I'm doing my livestock transfer tonight and will post some picks to get this thread going in a more fun direction.

nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I managed to do ok with my first try at the rock work. Loving the shape of this tank and these leds. Only running them at 30% and its so bright. I couldn't get mp10s to stick thru 1/2" despite it working during my test run. Brought over my old Koralia's and got the flow going a bit last night. Also I setup a phosban reactor with some GFO and Carbon. Looking forward to seeing the tank settle in over the next few weeks.

nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Congrats on the transfer! Seems like it went well :cheers:.
Btw, how long have you had the Magnifica ?

Thanks. Transfer did go well. Got a few diatoms most likely from the new sand and now I've got pods running everywhere. Corals are surviving if not thriving yet.

I've had the nem about 5 weeks. Was really lucky to get a small healthy one from a local reefer. He has darkened up and grown significantly, seems to really like these LEDs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: