ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Haven't done anything to the tank. My schedule is getting out of hand. Kids are getting bigger and now I have all these activities I have to take them too. Karate classes, Gymnastics, Baseball. Soon cheerleading for my daughter. Its getting out of control. I can see why some people need to get out of the hobby. Hopefully, I have time to level out the tank this weekend. My plan is to place the 300 gallon tub next to the tank, empty it half way and jack it up about 3/16th of an inch. I don't want to remove all the water cause than I will have remove all the fish and corals. I don't want to stress them out.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Well, this pass weekend I was able to level the tank. Had to drain the tank twice for it to come out right. Wasn't to bad.

I used concrete blocks that I had in the backyard, a piece of 4x4 and a car scissor jack.

Draining the tank.

0b3993a5.jpg

JACKED!!!

88870ded.jpg

abc4d1a4.jpg

Now, I will direct my attention in curing the rocks.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Curing Rocks
I've mentioned that I was going to try to cure my rocks with a new method that I found on RC using Lanthanum Chloride. Here is the link - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049855. The two products the people have been using are Seaklear and PhosFree. I decided to use the Phosfree since it is cheaper.
The reason why I'm curing the rocks, is cause I had a couple of Aiptasia that I could not get rid of and I also don't want to deal with the algae. They were in deep crevices and hard to get too.
So what I did was, I took the rocks out and left them outside without water for about a week. I than put the rocks in a 55 gallon drum with rodi water with a pump and heater. The heater was set to 80 degrees. I left the rocks in the water for another week. The smell was HORRIFIC...... I
than proceeded to use the PhosFree.

Here is the Phosfree that I used.

fe8d008c.jpg

Here is the 55 gallon drum filled with water, pump, heater and rocks. There is 45 gallon of water in the drum. I know this cause I had too bring up 9, 5 gallons buckets filled with ro/di water from the basement. lol.

34c7d9c1.jpg

After letting the rock soak in the water for a week, I took a phosphate reading. The reading came out to be 0.33. I actually thought it was going to be worst.

147ee631.jpg

After the test, I added 100ml of Phosfree. I just decided to dose 100ml. You can't really over dose. A cap full of the Phosfree treats up to 8000 gallon. So, you can do the math.

8e7f08c0.jpg

After 24 hours the water seemed a little clearer. I also noticed that the smell was completely gone. The funny thing is, that I haven't read on the RC thread, any mentioning of the smell being gone from using Phosfree. But the smell was gone. I aslo took a phosphate reading after 24 hours
and was surprised of the reading 0.08.

f782b067.jpg

d56dfd6e.jpg

I than added another 100ml of Phosfree and tested again in 48 hours. The reading came back high, 0.10. That means that phosphate is still coming out of the rocks.

b3ae1f2b.jpg

9e7fa011.jpg

Added another 100ml and tested after 24 hours. The reading is now lower. 0.05.

e425c467.jpg

137eea18.jpg

I added another 100ml and will test in 48 hours. This is a long process, but I rather do it like this than deal with the algae. My goal is to have the phosphate get to 0.03 or lower.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Ric, does cure liverock or dead live rock releases phosphate regardless?

cured live rock - no. Meaning that there is enough bacteria in the live rock to keep it clean.

Dead live rock - If the rock was once live and left out to dry, than yes. The amount of phosphate it releases is dependant on the amount of dead stuff in the rock.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
so adding these Phos Free product, speed up the process of it releases or it just clean what is currently in the water?

so eventually it will release more into the water and more until it finally leech out all the dead stuff?

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
That is correct for both questions. You want to keep dosing till the phosphate is low enough to put in your tank. My goal for me, is once the phosphate in the barrel hits 0.03 and maintains at that level or lower without adding more phosfree, I will clean the rocks and start the process of making it live.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Hi everyone
I want to apologize to the people who have been asking for updates. The problem is, that I gave up on the tank after Sandy hit. I didn't give up on it completely, but just didn't care to much for it. I lost lots of corals and was at the point of getting out. The interest is coming back as some might have noticed me buying corals and fish.

The corals that I will be posting, are the corals that have been hanging on since Sandy and my neglect of the tank. Posting pics and tracking coral growth will hopefully keep me more involved with my tank.

Just to let you know that I do not keep track of name of corals. I buy what catches my eye. So that being said I will try to track them by numbers.

Oh, another thing is, that I suck at taking pics. I really can't get the true colors of the corals. So here we go.

Coral # 1

Coral # 2

Coral # 3

Coral #4

Coral # 5

Coral # 6

Coral # 7

Coral # 8

Coral # 9

Coral # 10

Coral # 11

Coral # 12

Coal # 13

Coral # 14

Coral # 15

Corral # 16

Coral # 17

Coral # 18

Coral # 19

Coral # 20

Coral # 21

Coral # 22

Coral # 23

So these are some of the corals that I have. I will post more when I get a chance to take more pics.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Started to take care of the tank more and the passion is coming back. I can tell cause the wife and kids are starting to nag me that I'm always doing something with the tank now. Here are some random pics.

Coral # 24

Coral #25

Coral #26

Coral #27

Coral #28

Coral #29

Coral #30

Coral #31

Coral #32

Coral #33

Coral #34

Coral #35

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Coral #36

Coral #37

Coral #38

Coral #39

Coral #40

Coral #41

Coral #42

Coral #43

Coral #44

Coral #45

Coral #46

Coral #47

Coral #48

Coral #49

Coral #50

Coral #51

Coral #52

Coral #53

Coral #54

Coral #55

Coral #56

Coral #57

WOW!!! Didn't think I had this many corals. I have a couple more but just got tiered of taking pics. I'm just glad I have them here to see how they grow.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I couldn't sell it, lol. Since I had lost a lot of livestock cause of Sandy, I really slacked on the tank for about a year almost. Has time past, I started to miss the hobby like crazy. Around summer time, decided to move the tank to my livingroom. Went acro-less for a little more than three months and I've been adding livestock little by little. Think I've reached the limit now. Been meaning to post some new pictures for you guys, cuase I know how much I like to look at other people's tanks. Soon, lol.

Thanks. ..

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Can't wait to see it Pauli.

Hey FishBrain. Haven't seen you in a while. Hope you and the family are doing well. I was actually trying to take a FTS while doing homework with the kids last night, but as you can see, that didn't work out. lol. I'll try to get one today as I do need to put it up here to show my come-back progress.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: