ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks everyone

Do u plan on keeping the tub as part of the system? Would be great as an extra sump/ grow out section

No I do not. This would be the wost things I could do. The humidity in my basement is out of control. I have a dehumidifier that runs non-stop. I put a watt meter to it and its running at 698 watts. This is all day.

Another thing is, that I am not happy with the hieght of the stand. I made the stand 34 inches tall and the tank is 25 inches tall. I still have to bend down too look inside the tank. I would like to raise it at least 6 inches more.
I was thinking of building a platform of 6 inches tall and putting the stand on top of it. I really dont know how secure this would be. I am really upset about this. What is the average height of a stand anyway?

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Moving along........

Here is the tank with the bottom glass painted black.

805b2c83.jpg

738e17fb.jpg

I had to redo the plumbing again. Not all of it, just the double wye's. The returns are 1.5 inch and the returns are 1 inch.

ecb94613.jpg

6afde114.jpg

77754e72.jpg

All glued up.

06f8c6ee.jpg

30ca0d19.jpg

0fadf081.jpg

I'm hoping to have water in the tank by the end of the week. I'm only planning on adding water and fish. The rocks are going to be curing in a 50 gallon barrel.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Here is the tank all painted. Not to impress with it. I think to much black going on. Maybe when its all filled up with fish and corals, it will look different. I still have to add molding to the front panel. I also stopped at AO's today to pick up some loc-line for the returns.

1c3a7e5a.jpg

Top of tank

05496dd5.jpg

I also want to take some par measurments of the AI's on my tank. I know this has been done millions of times, but I want to do it myself and keep it logged on this build thread. I'm going to take par with and without water. Again, tank measures 96L x 30W x 24H

I build this contraption to hold one of the led's since the rack is being used over the 300 gallon tub in the basement.

a89e219e.jpg

68ac66e6.jpg

I placed the led in the middle of one of the four openings on top of the tank.

d0fdd64e.jpg

a3f7e179.jpg

I might take the par readings tonight or tomorrow.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
All that black will blend in nicely and create even greate focus on the main reason for the tank, the display created by the life within it.

Here is the tank all painted. Not to impress with it. I think to much black going on. Maybe when its all filled up with fish and corals, it will look different. I still have to add molding to the front panel. I also stopped at AO's today to pick up some loc-line for the returns.

1c3a7e5a.jpg

Top of tank

05496dd5.jpg

I also want to take some par measurments of the AI's on my tank. I know this has been done millions of times, but I want to do it myself and keep it logged on this build thread. I'm going to take par with and without water. Again, tank measures 96L x 30W x 24H

I build this contraption to hold one of the led's since the rack is being used over the 300 gallon tub in the basement.

a89e219e.jpg

68ac66e6.jpg

I placed the led in the middle of one of the four openings on top of the tank.

d0fdd64e.jpg

a3f7e179.jpg

I might take the par readings tonight or tomorrow.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
is that your thermostat for that floor :eek: i would move it away from that tank if it is.

Yes it is. That thermostat has been there for a long time. Even when my 215 had 8 80 watt ati powermodule fixture. Never had a problem with temp in that room. Now I will be running LED's which will give a lot less heat.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Water change

When my 215 was running, I was doing 50 gallon water change. Before doing the water change, I had too shut the return pump, skimmer, heater and CA off. I was draining the sump and refilling it with new water. I also had to make sure the temp of the new water was correct. I was doing this every two weeks.

As some of you know from following my 215 thread, that my sump has three sections. Each section can be drained individually as I drilled each section and installed valves underneath the sump.

SumpBulkHead1.jpg

SumpDrain.jpg

SumpDrain1.jpg

My plan is to do water changes twice a week without having to shut anything off but the skimmer.

The drain from the 215 use to come straight down into the first section of the sump where the skimmer is. That section of the sump holds approx. 17 gallons of water. Section dim. 19.5 x 17.5 x 12. Don't mind the algae on the skimmer. Thats from the light of the LPS tank next to it. LOL. I will be putting a shaded plexi glass in between the LPS tank and the sump to prevent that.

dc07527a.jpg

b5a65adb.jpg

As you can see in the pic below, I added a Union, Tee and a Union shutoff valve. I also moded my skimmer to shut off with a roller swith

31d23f6e.jpg

f02ebbfd.jpg

This modification will allow me to make approx. 17 gallon of water change without shutting anything off but the skimmer. All I have to do is turn the skimmer off with the roller switch and turn the union ball valve to divert the drain water to the second chamber of the sump, through the tee. I will than open the valve underneath the sump to drain the water in the skimmer section. Once the water is drained, I will close the valve underneath the sump, fill the skimmer section with new water and re-open the union gate valve.I don't even have to worry about the temp of the newly made water. I don't think it will matter in a 300 gallon system. I'm thinking that it should not take no longer than 10 minutes.

And here is my neglected LPS tank. Haven't done much to it since I started the upgrade. Once the 300 is up, I will clean it up.

0ded0ab9.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: