Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well it?s finally that time, it felt as if it took forever to get to this day, and let me start by saying hello and introducing myself as I am new to MR and also to a saltwater tank. Many of you may have spoken to me or noticed me lurking around the site the past couple of months researching information, asking questions and picking up items. Let me say that my experience here has been great. Everyone has been great with sharing info and knowledge. I am happy to be a part of this awesome club (even though the wife says I spend too much time on but, judging by what I?ve read, I better get used to it, as it?s just the beginning). I have been meaning to get this page up for the past 3 weeks, but with work, school , and the family I just haven?t found the time.

Now with that said, here?s my build?
? Deep blue 120 gal, dual overflow
? Deep blue series 2 stand
? MRC MR-2 Protein Skimmer (Not my first choice, but at too good a price to pass up)
? Mag 18 pump (again, Not my first choice, but at too good a price to pass up) plus I was thinking of using it to send flow to several areas ( via a manifold) including the return (perhaps the skimmer since its rated for an 1100gph pump)
? Kent Phosban reactor
? Carribsea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand - 80lbs (only using 1? ? 2? for cover. but still want a watchman goby and shimp team)
? 100lbs of dry rock from Reefrocks.net, plus 20lbs ? 30lbs of old dead rock (just finished cooking)
? 30 gallon? Sump (unusual dimensions, I got from another member believing it was a 30 or 40 breeder ) 30x18x18
? 2 A.I. Sol Whites (again, Not my first choice, but at too good a price to pass up)
? Air, Water & Ice Dual Home & Reef RO/DI 50gpd
? 2 150 watt Eheim Jager Heaters (250 watt hydo theo coming soon)
? 1 MP 40 ?for now-(courtesy of saltwater critters, coming soon from Russ as soon as I finish cycling)
? Hydor Evo 1050 for mixing salt (using in the tank till I get my MP 40)
? API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit ( till I finish the cycle)

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

At this point I am planning a mixed reef:scratch:

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Nice tank but than I'm partial to 120's lol.

I don't see an RO/DI unit listed. Make this an absolute MUST HAVE purchase before setting up the tank. You'll thanks us in the long run.

That MR2 is pure OVERKILL for the tank. What pump do you plan on running with it? With the skimmer being a Beckett style make sure you purchase the right pump for it. If it were me I'd sell the MR2 and look for a used I-Tech (Good Luck finding one) A BM NAC7 or a Reef Octopus XP2000SS.

Consider using BRS Pukani rock. It's a bit more expensive but the rock is AMAZING and you'll only need about 75 lbs of it due to it's really light weight/size. I used 75 lbs of it in my 120 and I could have probably gotten away with about 60 lbs of it.

Looking forward to the build.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Heya!
Awesome, I didn't know you didn't have a tank up yet.

Good luck with this set up.

Have you put the sand and rocks in yet? I am interested in seeing how you design it.

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
thanks and yes i have one, 50 gpd air fire & ice home and reef use. i was originaly looking at NAC 7 but the MR2 was at to great of a price to pass up.
Nice tank but than I'm partial to 120's lol.

I don't see an RO/DI unit listed. Make this an absolute MUST HAVE purchase before setting up the tank. You'll thanks us in the long run.

That MR2 is pure OVERKILL for the tank. What pump do you plan on running with it? With the skimmer being a Beckett style make sure you purchase the right pump for it. If it were me I'd sell the MR2 and look for a used I-Tech (Good Luck finding one) A BM NAC7 or a Reef Octopus XP2000SS.

Consider using BRS Pukani rock. It's a bit more expensive but the rock is AMAZING and you'll only need about 75 lbs of it due to it's really light weight/size. I used 75 lbs of it in my 120 and I could have probably gotten away with about 60 lbs of it.

Looking forward to the build.

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Heya!
Awesome, I didn't know you didn't have a tank up yet.

Good luck with this set up.

Have you put the sand and rocks in yet? I am interested in seeing how you design it.

thanks, yeah i have been trying to start up for the longest, but its finally here!! :)

had to mess around with it a bit, but i am content with my aquascape.

AND then there was water...

Attachments

• 20120403_121428.jpg
    20120403_121428.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 563

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Only other thing I can see possibly being an issue is the 2 AI's. Not becuase they are LED's (Lol) but it doesn't look like you have enough height within that canopy to run them and get adequate coverage unless you can possibly swap out the optics. Some of the other guys with AI's may chime in but a minimum of 12" AWl would be needed to evenly cover the tank.Judging from the picture of the canopy opened up it doesn't look like you have that to work with.

Now fill the dam thing Lol....

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: