Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
For the frame I used 2x6 and 2x4.
There will be a 75 sump that slides in from the side. The tank is 24x48 and the sump is 18x48 so I wanted to beef up the stand with the 2x6 and make sure all the joints were supporting. Then I clad the whole stand in 1/2" ply to give it more rigidity.
It's solid and probably overkill but I needed piece of mind.
I also made it high so people won't have to bend over to see the tank.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
For the frame I used 2x6 and 2x4.
There will be a 75 sump that slides in from the side. The tank is 24x48 and the sump is 18x48 so I wanted to beef up the stand with the 2x6 and make sure all the joints were supporting. Then I clad the whole stand in 1/2" ply to give it more rigidity.
It's solid and probably overkill but I needed piece of mind.
I also made it high so people won't have to bend over to see the tank.

I agree with u 1000% that's the same thing I used when I did my stand 2x6 and made mine taller as well.

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I can imagine. I have the DB 120 & I didn't know if my skinny friend that helped me carry it from the car was gonna make it up my stairs.lol. HE just made it, but man was he straining.

Anyway, tagging along & probably looking to steal some ideas for my new build...lol.
Thanks, this tank is on the edge of what two people can possibly lift alone. LOL found that out getting it in and out of my car.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Reefs

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Progress on the sump slowed the project down.
You really need to have many different skills when you start something like this. And you have to have a plan. Just visualizing this project from start to finish you run into structural design, electrical, plumbing, sump design and you have to be able to imagine how this will look at completion and if you achieve that you can breathe easy. If not, you did something wrong. So far, so good here.
It really is a strange thing that all this work comes before you even start the tank, and that is what everyone thinks is the difficult part.

Here is how the sump is going so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 623

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I had all the glass cut. All I did was the silicone.
This weekend I hope to get the filter sock holder in place and put the rest of the stand together.
Ill throw some pictures up when that happens.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
That is my first concern when I water test this design.
I will be running the returns into the DT very close to the surface so I'm not expecting too much backflow. I also use an ATO so I will be running this section low.
I figure I have 6+ inches of vertical capacity in that section and it's larger than it appears. It will then spill into the skimmer section.
If I need I can encroach into the reserve section which is the rectangular section at top center left.
Hopefully the design holds water though. :P

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
That is my first concern when I water test this design.
I will be running the returns into the DT very close to the surface so I'm not expecting too much backflow. I also use an ATO so I will be running this section low.
I figure I have 6+ inches of vertical capacity in that section and it's larger than it appears. It will then spill into the skimmer section.
If I need I can encroach into the reserve section which is the rectangular section at top center left.
Hopefully the design holds water though. :P

Nice. I have no doubt it will hold water. Looks like you took your time and put a lot of thought and care into it

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Ok?? How does it work?? I'm a little lost with the design I seen similar ones but the water ballasts are shorter?? Are your planning to short them up or just drilling some holes into them ???

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hopefully I can get more work on it tomorrow and post some more pictures.
Not all the glass goes all the way to the top. Not sure what tou meant by ballasts.

Sorry I meant the bubble traps wall it a great design but the wall are so high..?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There are no traditional bubble traps. I plan to use some coarse open cell foam to catch any bubbles from the skimmer. The wall from the skimmer section is only 12 inches high and the sump is 18 inches high. If this is designed correctly those are the only sections of the sump that need to flow. The fuge section has a bulkhead fitting and I will use an overflow box in there. That will also flow through the foam.
The skimmer will be on a platform 6 inches up from the bottom. That needs building also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: