scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
water changes...water changes. damn straight.

carbon. i don't really like to use carbon in FW or SW set ups because i've heard so much about toxins leeching back into your system. if i use it, how often should i change it?

i guess it's like any other chemical filtration. it needs to be replaced every so often.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I also run carbon 24/7 on my 75.

Randy, I know the 'rules' for pipefish regarding stinging corals. However, I've had great success with mine. I have a 40 head torch, 12" skeleton wall hammer (opens up to about 16"), two different frogspawns, brains (multiple types), hydnophora, etc. Am I playing with fire? Is there going to be an inevitable 'confrontation'? There is also TONS of caves and crevices without any stinging inverts.

Like I said, I know the rules, but so far, so good.

swimmer

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Russ,
I think those rules generally apply more to seahorses than pipefish which are far more agile and bold. The problems occur when the horses touch down in the wrong place. The larger pipes like the ones you keep can actually do quite well in a full blown reef system without the presence of uber aggressive species. Keep doing what you've been doing. RD

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
prattreef said:
Russ,
I think those rules generally apply more to seahorses than pipefish which are far more agile and bold. The problems occur when the horses touch down in the wrong place. The larger pipes like the ones you keep can actually do quite well in a full blown reef system without the presence of uber aggressive species. Keep doing what you've been doing. RD

:hug: Thanx bro.
I follow what you mean about the pipes compared to the ponies. Definitely more agile.

Damn, it feels good when you offer the :thumbsup:

Scarf, 100% agreement with Randy. You're asking all the right questions and taking your time. Very nice to see. Keep it up.

R

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
randy i checked out inland aquatics. too bad it's not in NY. the facility looks cool. $129 for procerus, wow. i didn't know they were that expensive. you know anyone here in the city worth contacting?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
why didn't i think about this before. why not use my 30xh for a sea horse tank? allows for more flexibility. all i would have to do is take the rbta and clowns,frogspawn and little frag of candy cane out and move them to the 15g i planned for the seahorse originally. the only other corals in there are zoos. i may be able to set this sea horse tank earlier than possible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: