Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
really i can have a jann's pipe. great. russ i'll let you know when.

Just on the safe side, make sure you realize it's very hard to start the pipefish to eat in the first place. I have seen one type that's tank breed but I forgot which one is that. I will LYK when I find the info. According to couple seahorses customers and what I have seen in other tanks, they are worse to start eating than the mandarin. Even though I can order the pipefish for you but I really think you should reconsider until your tank is well established.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Oh also make sure, you do not keep the tank "WAY TOO CLEAN"-seahorses and pipefish like to live in a tank with macro algae(may be micro aglae too since his food lives on the micro aglae)

As for the flow issue,
make sure you disperse the intake.
I found flow is not that much a problem they know where to swim around it unless you have a wave maker. However, even very small powerhead without a prefilter could easily kill these slow moving animals.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
thanks for all the insight. russ(masterswimmer) has a pipe fish that eats prepared foods. i'd be willing to try one. maybe start him off on live food and then try frozen. of course i would also have pods in the tank. my 30 has a hob fuge filled w/ pods.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
all i would have to do is take the rbta and clowns,frogspawn and little frag of candy cane out and move them to the 15g i planned for the seahorse originally. the only other corals in there are zoos. i may be able to set this sea horse tank earlier than possible.

If you have an algae blenny there, take him out too. It will harass the seahorses.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
thanks for all the insight. russ(masterswimmer) has a pipe fish that eats prepared foods. i'd be willing to try one. maybe start him off on live food and then try frozen. of course i would also have pods in the tank. my 30 has a hob fuge filled w/ pods.

If it already eats prepared foods, don't spoil him back to live food unless it does not start to eat at all in your place.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
gotcha. i think i will most definately go w/ the sea horses you have. can you get yellow or orange ones? the tank is pretty tall(24"). one thing though. i will have to take out half of the LR and the ugj system. unless i can just dial down the flow on the ugj sys.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
gotcha. i think i will most definately go w/ the sea horses you have. can you get yellow or orange ones? the tank is pretty tall(24"). one thing though. i will have to take out half of the LR and the ugj system. unless i can just dial down the flow on the ugj sys.

The ones I have are yellow, however, they change color according to the environment. So you should keep the color of your tank lighter and more open space(no color at all) so that they will turn yellow more often. They are mostly yellow when they are in my house tank, while they are mostly dark in the frag tank.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
new update: tank and plans have changed. here is my new creation. just threw it together sudnay and took pics monday
DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
i'm looking @ them as we speak. i really can't understand what is going on

Make sure you didn't move the folder with these pictures on the Photobucket page. Also, did you copy the link from the URL box on photobucket?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: