Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Hi MR,

So I finally decided to start my 120gal 48x24x24 reef build and to start a thread on this. I actually wanted to do this the beginning of the year but too many stuff just happened and could not start.

So with that said this is the plan.

I will do a DIY stand and canopy and also a DIY LED set up from Rapid LED. I was looking at the AI's and Radions but decided to do it myself. This way if I dont like colors I can just swap out and also the price tag was a factor as well. I will post some sort of a diagram of the color combo I would like to use when I get a chance and of course anyone can chime in on that.

I will use a full Apex controller. Ordered a GFO and Carbon reactor from BRS along with 3 dosers and Pukani Rock. Also ordered 2 MP40's and they are on the way as well. The sump return pump will be an Eheim 1262. This was a debate between the Eheim and Water Blaster 7000.
I will also build my own sump of a 40 Breeder. I will reuse my Reef Octopus skimmer but hopefully Santa will bring a new one towards the end of the year.

I still have time to decide to go Bare Bottom or Deep Sand. Any input on this would be appreciated but leaning towards having sand because of the little critters I can have in the tank.

So for now this is all I have. I will update as items arrive and throughout the built.

Like I mentioned before any input is and will be appreciated on any subjects, warnings and equipment.

Fgtank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the same

Hey I am also doing the same size tank,using radion xr30's (2), 2 mp40's, blue line 70 hd pump(sump/refug. Is in basement) super reef oct. skimmer, 75 gal. Sump/ refug. I'm just gonna tag along for info. Thanks...oh yea, I am also frank.

Fgtank

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tried to post pictures yet. Can't wait to see your set up. I'm just waiting on my sump, and the cabinet for the tank is still being built, other than these hold ups I'm ready to roll.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Hi Frank sounds like you're off to a good start.

I have a 120 about 10 months old now.
You didn't mention if you have the tank yet?
If you don't I would recommend to go with two overflows and corner over flows at that.
You will appreciate the room in between the overflows for the rock work.
Also I recommend you look into the "herby method" for your overflow and return.

Best of luck ;)

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Started working on the sump.
runara2y.jpg
2a6e5a8e.jpg
9usatunu.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Sump is done. Will let the silicone cure for 2 days. Installed eggcrates in middle compartment on top of baffles hoping that it will keep chateo and other algeas from escaping.

etuvagar.jpg
uhuqu4er.jpg
my4a7uju.jpg

Gonna start on temporary plumbing to cycle tank and to break in Tunze return pump.

sysaraqe.jpg

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Rocks, sand, pumps, dosers, reactors and all that I need arrived except LED's but no rush for that. Im having issues inserting pictures, never had issues before. Anyone else having problems?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Reefs

I see you decided to use sand, just keep in mind, some fishes loves the sand, like wrasses.

Putting led together takes a good amount of effort and if you think you can do it better than the commercial made one, go for it, if not i would just go with what's available out there. The resell valve is higher and the prices have come down these years, and they look nice and sleak.

Good luck on your build! tagging along.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
The frame of the stand is done. Used 4x4's. I will have it seperated from the actual finish so that if I need access under the tank from any side I can just remove the whole finish. Maybe it makes no sense untill you guys see the finished product.
7uqysy9u.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: