BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked up the tank and stand on Friday! Deep Blue 57g Rimless and Deep Blue stand. I used plastidip on the back panel so just in case I ever wanted to remove it I can just peel if off! Don't mind the scuff on the wall...the aquaC remora on the old tank was touching the wall there...just need to touch it up!

t5ltah.jpg

So far i've added 60lbs of live sand...CaribSea Oolite! The sand and water have been in there since Friday and it's still couldy!! I decided to run the skimmer for a little to see if it helps to clear up the water. I also put about 20lbs of dry base rock in to see if maybe it will also help??? I still have another 30-35lbs to add...but i'm still putting it together ;). Is there anything else I can do to help clear the water up? There is also quite a bit of foam on top of the water. The skimmer seemed to have cleared up most of it but there's still some left around the edges.

2meoe4o.jpg

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Hey glw the build ..... i used that same sand for my tank and it literally took about 1 week to clear up , that oolite is very fine . as far as the foam on top it does clear up but i took most of it out on my own . did u put the lil packs in there? it helps alil bit

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey glw the build ..... i used that same sand for my tank and it literally took about 1 week to clear up , that oolite is very fine . as far as the foam on top it does clear up but i took most of it out on my own . did u put the lil packs in there? it helps alil bit

Yeh I started using a slotted spoon to take out some of the foam...worked great, just hard to get it off the edges of the tank. It's already been 3 days so I don't mind if clears up within a week...I just hope it does. I put the little packs in there but it doesn't look like it did anything

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Being sumpless limits you a lot as far as adding filters. The only thing you can do is get a diatom filter and throw it in the tank until it clears up. A maxijet hooked up to a filter sock works as a diatom filter. Are you running any circulation in the tank aside from the Aqua C? It would help settle the cloudiness.

Also, why go sumpless? Its so much of a hassle and inconvenience not having a sump.

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Being sumpless limits you a lot as far as adding filters. The only thing you can do is get a diatom filter and throw it in the tank until it clears up. A maxijet hooked up to a filter sock works as a diatom filter. Are you running any circulation in the tank aside from the Aqua C? It would help settle the cloudiness.

Also, why go sumpless? Its so much of a hassle and inconvenience not having a sump.

No circulation as of yet...picking up my MP10 on Tuesday. If you ask me going sumpless just makes everything much simpler...:teeth:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I'm eyeing the same tank if I upgrade from my current tank.
I think having a sump will do a lot of good.
It's not really too complicated to run one plus it lets you minimize the clutter of equipment inside the DT.
It let's you appreciate the true beauty of having a rimless tank.
Just check out Kenconnect's tank and you'll see what I mean. :)

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm eyeing the same tank if I upgrade from my current tank.
I think having a sump will do a lot of good.
It's not really too complicated to run one plus it lets you minimize the clutter of equipment inside the DT.
It let's you appreciate the true beauty of having a rimless tank.
Just check out Kenconnect's tank and you'll see what I mean. :)

I understand what you mean. In my tank the only thing visible will be the AquaC Remora...the heater is hidden inside the AquaC. I don't mind the skimmer in the corner of the tank!

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Are you planning to run a filter on the tank or just the skimmer and live rock/sand doing the work?
You can look into the aquaclear filters that some mod to make a fuge set up or maybe a hob fuge/filter system something like a CPR bakpak or similar to it in case you decide to use some sort of filtration system.

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Filtration will be...live rock, live sand, and the AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer. Water circulation will be provided by the Ecotech MP10. As for livestock I was planning on keeping a few fish as well as some soft corals...more specifically some zoas, mushrooms/ricordea, and frogspawn. Will my filtration and flow be sufficient for this?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Filtration will be...live rock, live sand, and the AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer. Water circulation will be provided by the Ecotech MP10. As for livestock I was planning on keeping a few fish as well as some soft corals...more specifically some zoas, mushrooms/ricordea, and frogspawn. Will my filtration and flow be sufficient for this?

Keep a weekly water change schedule and you should be fine. Don't make the mistake of relying on an Aqua C remora to export waste. It will help, but no where near do the job. You don't need fancy equipment if you learn the limitations of your system. REGULAR Water changes make up for anything missing :)

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Keep a weekly water change schedule and you should be fine. Don't make the mistake of relying on an Aqua C remora to export waste. It will help, but no where near do the job. You don't need fancy equipment if you learn the limitations of your system. REGULAR Water changes make up for anything missing :)

With my 34g there was an actual 26g of water in there so I would do a 5g water change every two weeks. This seemed to keep the tank in order...but I did notice with most of my corals they would be VERY healthy for about a month or two and then slowly die. The only one that always thrived would be the ricordea's. How large of a water change should I do on the 57g?...and how often? There is about 45 actual gallons of water in the tank. As for the corals...I use reef crystals...but is there anything else I should be supplmenting into my water?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: