jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I believe I am having a diatom bloom now. I guess thats a good sign. Who would ever have thought I'd be happy to see brown film growing in my tank.

BTW how do I decide if a water change is called for after the cycle? Do I just test the nitrates and change if they are higher than a cutoff?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Is the water supposed to get cloudy as part of the cycling? This morning I came into work and the water was cloudy, plus I have some sort of algal growth all over the glass and rocks. The growths look almost like mold - short threads topped by a bulbous growth at the end. Is this a normal part of the cycle? I havent had a chance to check the water params today yet but will do that before I leave.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so my params are as follows:
Temp - 80
SG - 1.024
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
pH - 7.8

Is my cycle done? Should I do a water change or just add some buffer to bring the pH up? Is my tank ready for the cleaning crew and a coral or two ?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok great. What would you recommend as a cleaner crew? I was thinking four scarlet hermits, 3 nassarius snails, and 4 margarita or astrea snails. I was also going to try to get some microbrittle stars and a culture of pods since my rock doesnt seem to have any.

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That is a very good selection, I would go with the margarita over the astrea. Also try and get some bristle worms. Give your tank a couple of weeks for the pods to grow, then start adding peppermint shrimps. Peppermint shrimps like to eat pods. Start with corals first. Let the corals and your system mature, then add some reef friendly fish to the mix. Make sure none of your rocks have any aptasia on it before you start to add fish!

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I wasnt aware that I can buy bristle worms. I thought they were just hitchhikers. As far as fish, I wasnt planning on adding them until later because I cant set up a quarantine tank at work, therefore I have to wait until after I move at the end of the month to set one up at home.

I am still confused though about water changes and nitrate. I thought that i have to do a wc if nitrates build up because that is an end product ( unless i have a dsb ) but an earlier post said that I should let it be and the system cycle will take care of the nitrates. I also am trying to figure out what the stringy substance growing off my lr is ( see earlier post ). When I come in the morning, there is none of it but about an hour after the lights go on, they appear and grow until they break off.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so I now have an outbreak of red slime algae/cyano. I havent added any livestock - though I wanted to add the cleanup crew today - and would like to solve this problem before I do. I haven't fed my tank anything since there is no live stock and i havent done any wc yet. The initial water used was Poland Spring, which I realize is a problem and I plan on getting RO water for future WC. My params are as follows:

pH - 8.2
Nitrite - 0
Amm - 0
Sal - 1.024
Temp - 78-80
Nitrate - 5 or less ( there is no O reading on this kit ).

Is this outbreak a normal part of cycling which will go away after I add the cleanup crew or am I doing something wrong ( besides FW source )?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so I finally got some cleaning crew in there after a few false starts. First I rerranged the rockscape to give more open room at front. This morning I added 3 small scarlet hermits, three tiny nassarius snails and three turbos. I added the turbos to see if they can help control the red algae growths but if they become too destructive I will get rid of them. After I acclimated and added the crew, out pops a nassarius snail from my sand bed. This snail was a holdover from before I tore down the tank and moved it. At the time I sold everything else off but I found this snail afterwards and dumped it in a bucket with leftover tank water. Once the tank was relocated and setup I placed it in with the hopes that it might survive cycling but I hadnt seen it since so imagine my surprise! I also bought distilled water at Target for my next water changes so hopefully that will help with the algae. Anyone know where I can buy some RO/DI or distilled water closer to Brooklyn? I also want to buy a few more hermits, and some astreas, as well as a seed culture of pods so if anyone has any to give away or sell please PM me. Pictures will be up as soon as I remember to bring my camera to work.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jejton, I use the Great Bear brand with the green labeling... its called Purified water, but if you read the fine print, its's puried using Reverse Osmosis. That's as close to RO/DI as you can get at the supermarket level.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks. Ill keep my eye open for that. BTW, I have an aquarium epoxy called Holdfast ( that or something similar - its at home ) that I've used to make a divider for a firebellied toad tank. Would that work for fixing frags in place in the tank? If so, do I just place some on the frag and then stick it wherever I want ?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Here are some updated shots. I have added three scarlet hermits, three nassarius ( plus the one that survived the move ) and three turbos. I am looking to add some ceriths and astrea snails. After that I'd like to add a shrimp or two, and get some corals in. Once thats all settled in Ill decide on my fish.

Anyway here are the shots.

newftswithlightson.jpg

This is with the lights on. I have moved the rocks around a little so that there is more open space in front. The one downside is that it is harder to clean in back. Not impossible but harder.

algaecloseup.jpg

Here is a closeup of the thready algae that I have been getting. It starts off short, grows once the lights are on and then breaks off. You might be able to see the algal films I've been getting. I am not sure if this is a normal part of the maturation process or if I am having a problem. What do ya'all think ?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
looks good get the clean up crew in there.

for your tank i would get:
2-astrea
3-dwaf blue legs
10-nass
3-cerith
2-scarlet

some may say those numbers are too small but i don't like too much of a clean up crew. once they finish the algae they will feed on fish food leftovers.

i honestly don't like turbos in a nano.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I agree with you about keeping the crew smaller. So far I have four nassarius ( one somehow survived the whole move and cycling ), three turbos ( I know they might become a problem later but they were recommended for the cyano ) and three scarlets. I want to add some more scarlets, cerith and astrea snails and possibly nassarius. I want to stay away from blue legged hermits after reading alot of negative posts about them tending to be more aggressive. Dont you think 10 nassarius would be overdoing it? I have been posting about the algae problem under a different thread " coralline or nuisance algae ( or maybe its vice versa )" . I wasnt sure if its a normal part of the maturation or if I am doing something wrong.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: