jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I originally bought the tank up and running from someone who was relocating, before i really knew what I was doing. For a while I have wanted to redo it, now that I am more experienced and done research. Since I am moving, I took the opportunity to sell all the livestock and move it to my desk at work.

Tomorrow I will set it up and get some water circulating in it. Until I figure out RO/DI units ( I am still pretty confused about them ), I will be using tap water and make sure to run a poly, carbon and some kind of dephospator in one of the back chambers. I plan on adding cured LR bought locally since I figured 20 lbs should be enough, give or take. The specs are as follows ( so far ):

JBJ 12DX Nanocube.
2-3" sand bed ( I'm not sure of the size since I bought it from someone already set up )
Stock pump placed in corner of tank and replaced with maxijet 900
Nanobob ( from nano-reef.com) surface skimmer mod

In the back chambers I plan on putting: rubble and cheato in first chamber ( moded to have an external light. Basically the black vinyl is peeled and a Palm light or other light is directed at the chamber ), Poly filter pad, carbon bag and phosban in second. Heater in third with pump.

I am debating whether or not to use a Hyder flow. I like the turbulence it creates but it takes up a lot of room in a small tank.

Corals:
I plan on keeping mostly softies ( zoo's, xenia, shrooms ) and some easier LPS.

Inverts:
Cleaner crew to be decided but I did like my scarlet hermits and nassarius snails so I will probably just replace them. Haven't decided on astreas or something similar.
2 cleaner shrimp, yet to be decided if I want a pair of a species or one each of two species.

Fish:
Here is where I am still very undecided. I really like my true perc and am leaning towards getting a mated tank bred pair,

or one perc and one other fish - possibly a goby or blennie of some sort, maybe a firefish.

Either way I don't plan on adding more than 2 fish. I want to keep this tank low maintenance because even though I will be able to be more on top of it at work, I want it to be a stress reliever, rather than a headache. I have to figure out whether or not to go with a auto topoff ( helpful for long weekends away ). One advantage over having a small tank at home is that the warehouse/office is more or less temp. stable while my biggest problem at home was having the tank overheat ( I have the a/c on timer for my pets but I cant keep it on all day ).

Anyway I think this is enough for now and I will post pics up once I have the LR in. I am very open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks,
Eric

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
For 9 gallons of water, I would buy RO water to fill the tank or just ask someone to fill 2 5g buckets for you. Using tap water to start the tank might be your one big fatal mistake in terms of uncontrollable algae.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i agree, don't start with tap water.

there must be someone near you that can help. either you can go check out someones ro/di set up or they came over to your place. for the most part they are all the same, in the way they get set up.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Does anyone live or work near Sunset Park and have some RO/DI water I can have? What if I use some Poland Spring water from our water cooler? We have some extra bottles still. My biggest problem right now, after moving everything to my desk, is trying to arrange all the electric cords without causing a short or increasing the already bad clutter to unworkable situation.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I finally set it up at my desk. I bought some LR, about 15lbs ( a couple from Ronen, the rest from FT - they had Kaelina at 3.99/lb ). I have been playing around with the aquascaping and I think I might be happy with what I have. I will test the water before I leave to get parameters. Since the rock was partially cured ( sitting in their tank for a couple of weeks ) I dont think it will take to long to cycle. The only downside is that I see no hitchikers and very little corraline. There is some remnants of macro and perhaps sponges, so maybe it will grow back.

This is what the tank looked like before I sold off the livestock and moved it.

Here is another photo.

Here are some shots of the tank now:

Front

Right Side

Left side

I am open to suggestions.

Paramaters are:
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 78 deg. F
pH - 7.8 I dont know why this is low but I will bring in buffer tomorrow.
Amm - .2
Nitrite - 4
Nitrate - 10

BTW whats a good master test kit ( I am only looking for pH, nitrite, nitrate, ca, alk, amm. ) because I am not happy with the one I have now.

Last edited:

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Your tank is still cycling, so that can explain the low ph. Also check the PH when you mix your new saltwater for water changes. When mixing new saltwater use an air pump with a bubble wand to aerate the water, that will bring up the PH in the newly mixed saltwater. Getting your make up water close to tank parameters is very important.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
druluv said:
Your tank is still cycling, so that can explain the low ph. Also check the PH when you mix your new saltwater for water changes. When mixing new saltwater use an air pump with a bubble wand to aerate the water, that will bring up the PH in the newly mixed saltwater. Getting your make up water close to tank parameters is very important.

I aerate the bucket with a PH for a few days before using it. I will check the pH though to see if its low. I currently use Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix and use ( shhh..! ) Poland Spring water from our water cooler supply.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks. I cant wait until I get some cleanup crew in finally. Everyone keeps checking in to see if there is anything in my tank yet. I spent much time just staring at it ( I dont know why but I do...) as it is now still.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Right now I have a maxijet 900 replacing the stock pump and a hydro flow on the output. I decided to sacrifice some flow rate in favor of the random flow this offers. I still have the stock pump and can use that in for additional flow if needed. For corals, I was thinking of sticking with softies and shrooms. I might try an easier LPS eventually but I can live without it if it wont work.
For for fish, I am leaning towards a firefish and a goby or blennie. I am also thinking of putting in two cleaner shrimp though i havent decided if they will be two of the same or not.

What do you'all think?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
At the moment I dont have access to distilled water or an RO/DI unit, though I hope to get one in the next few weeks. As far as Aquafina, is that bottled water? If it is, then whats the difference between using that and Poland Springs. What type of frags do you have? I am hoping in a week the cycle will be done but we shall see...

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Another question: Should I be doing water changes during cycling? I have read in one place that I should but then ( and this makes more sense ) read elsewhere that I need to let the amm and nitrite build up so that the bacterial colonies can feed off them and only do w.c. when the nitrates are built up but the rest are down to 0.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
:scratchch http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/sale-trade/14115-free-beginner-corals-2.html

You can find distilled water at the supermarket or target. Aquafina is supposed to be filtered (R.O) and Poland Spring is not.

jejton said:
At the moment I dont have access to distilled water or an RO/DI unit, though I hope to get one in the next few weeks. As far as Aquafina, is that bottled water? If it is, then whats the difference between using that and Poland Springs. What type of frags do you have? I am hoping in a week the cycle will be done but we shall see...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: