Jaylex

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I have been losing fish without any explanation. Tested my water at home, the water is fine. I took my water to 2 different LFS and everything came back good. I have corals and they're doing fine, haven't lost any. i use API test kit. i have red slim in refugium part of sump, but not in tank. I need help figuring this out. if any have any answers or questions please feel free to reply

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need more information. One how old is the tank. What fish you have or added since this. Size tank? Temp. Only happening to new fish. What fish are alive in the tank. What kind of fish that die. Do you Qt your fish when bought? Where you buy fish and how you put them in your tank. Were these fish eating at LFS.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How long does it take before they die in your tank? Are the fish breathing heavy after day one or two. You see any signs of ich or parasites. One tiny spots on fish body or fins. Is fish health when you buy him? Than a few days he looks sick? Is this a new set up. You have coral ? What kind and how long they been in tank.

Last edited:

Jaylex

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
My tank is 135g long and is about 4-5 months old. Right now I have a yellow tang & 6 line wrasse that's been in the tank since it cycled & cleaner shrimp, black brittle starfish that's been in the tank for 3 weeks to a month. New Maroon clown fish & clown tang that I added today. deceased fish that were added at different times are blue spine unicorn tang, maroon clown, 2 mandarin, 4 anthias, 6 cardinals, & hippo tang. Seems like when I add a fish or two they do good for the first few days to a week then they start going down hill.I don't have a quarantine tank. Which I'm seriously considering setting up this week. I acclimate the fish for an hour to 2 hours. I buy my fish from maximum reef in yonkers. I noticed a little heavy breathing in some of the fish and I try to increase the oxygen. The marroon clown fish had white spots on it seen to be ich. They all seemed to be healthy when introduced to the tank.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Some times fish starve themselves if they don't recognize what you are feeding. Did you see them eat? The mandarins need an established tank of pods. 5 months is not an established tank. If the cardinals were Bengai that is definitely a feeding problem. I found that frozen Hikari brine shrimp gets them started and then they will start eating anything. Anthias from my experience were hard to get to feed.
In any case I would start with watching the LFS feeding them, seeing them eat and then ask the LFS what it is they are eating. Also make sure the food is what the fish needs based on whether they are; carnivores, herbivores or omnivores, otherwise they will not get the nutrition they need.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Max reef is good start to buy fish. But you said they healthly and good when you put them in. Would you say around 5th to 7 days the fish start to die. Sounds like a parasite now living in your water. Parasite can attack inside the fish gills and within a few days the fish can't breathe and than you see white spots. Best thing for you don't add any more fish to your tank. You must read and see if you can identify which parasite disease it is. Than you have to attack which way you want to treat your tank. For now don't add fish to you treat your tank. Research their are a few ways you can go. If no live rocks you can treat and introduce all your new fish as if your main tank is Qt tank. Not my way but since no Qt tank it might be your best bet. If you have LR let tank run without a hoist for 6 weeks. But than when you buy more fish. You are likely to introduce ick back in tank if not Qt. Just do research on disease. Be patience it takes a little time to tank matures and my advise to you Qt fish is a must for beginners. People will says they never Qt fish and never got ick or lost a fish. Truth is this part of the hobby and is wear people stay in the hobby or get out.

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
after Sandy i had the same problem (i lost power 5 days) i try every possible thing including a major water change and nothing last thing i try was removing everything (rocks, 1 fish that was left and corals) replace all the sand with new live sand and scrub the rocks.
Did a 50% water change and that solved my problem . was that the real problem?? i will never know but it worked i guess lots of bacteria and what not in my bed
sometimes the solution is where we dont look
+1 on Max Reef
hope that helps

Jaylex

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I considered doing the same thing breaking down my tank and starting all over. I brought a few used items, when I connected them to the system I didn't sterilize them so I was thinking that may be the cause of my problem as well. Brought used (Chiller, protein skimmer, aquaripure). Which I am not running the aquaripure at this moment.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are they fish still alive. Or just coral left. You can just let tank run as is. Wait at least six weeks before buying fish. Than go to Max reef and pick your fish out and ask Ralph to hold your new fish. Pretty much like Qt them for you. Hopefully your new addition are strong enough to fight off any infection. Mean time you can do small water changes just to remove any parasites. If no hoist parasite won't regenerate or be a lot less and fish can fight with they own immune. Maybe add a few cleaner shrimps in mean time.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very unlikely it's a bacteria that's causing your lose. Sign of bad bacteria or poor water would be signs of Popeyes on fish. Not death especially in a new tank. Your at go starting point were bacteria like red slime or brown diatom will start. The best thing the tank needs to mature and run its course. If coral is doing well why put more stress on than by breaking tank down. Starting over is one way. But remember if you add a sick or infected fish to new set up. Your right back where you are now.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
anthias can be a harder fish, a sixline wrasse will harras other fish especially anthias and other wrasse's, clown tangs generally dont have a high survival rate
i would strongly suggest buying a complete test kit, calcium, alk, mag, nitrate and ammonia. how often are you doing water changes also ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: