TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Ok. I may just leave the ones in there now but grab some snails from there or any other lfs. Ill compare prices. Trop island is closest to me. What about the type of snails? Should I get some of each that was mentioned or it doesn't really matter?

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
So this weekend I'm going to order the TLF Phosban 150 reactor with 1/3lb of the GFO from BRS. Should I get the LB of GFO now instead? How long does it last?

Also, just realized the return pump I'm using says 1,100 Lph. That means it's only 290 gph minus the 4' head loss (at the most) to the DT. Pretty sure I have to update this. Was thinking about going a mag 7. Any other comparable return pumps that may be more affordable? Would that be sufficient?

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
If your paying for shipping get the biggest gfo size you can afford, I usually get the 3.5 lb 1/2 gallon size of the high capacity gfo, but just get the regular gfo

Ok thanks. I'm going to order everything off BRS so figured I may get the most instead of buying and paying shipping everytime later on. I'm also grabbing new filters for my rodi machine so I have that available then it ends up being free shipping with everything over $175 so.. works out. I'll look into that pump. Thanks!

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Finally got the phosban reactor and an improvement in my cuc. Heading home to acclimate/install!

I also have a mesh media bag. Will this carbon be ok in it?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1374565152.015648.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1374565152.015648.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 255

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
So I hooked up my phosphate reactor I used 4 tbsps of the media and dumped it in the reactor. It just sits at the bottom, some parts of it tumble every so often a little bit. Not really sure how this is supposed to work so if anyone can fill me in that would be great. I also used the mesh bag it came with to put that carbon I took a picture of in it. Rinsed both out in ro water before I used them. There's no more room (unless i can put the bag on top of the skimmer pump and pump for reactor in the first section so I put it in my fuge against the wall that the water goes over for the return section. Not sure how useful this is going to be but has ok flow...

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Gfo should tumble slightly on top, as far as the carbon goes, for now just toss the bag of carbon near a baffle in the sump, you can also put the carbon in the reactor first, then a sponge, then the gfo, just make sure the gfo has a slight tumble

Ok yeah that's what I did, The reactor is very large compared to the amount of media was placed in it so maybe when I change out the media (how often btw every 6 weeks?) I'll put carbon in first like you mentioned, sponge, then the gfo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: