oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Fuge Started

Today I started up the fuge. I got a 10lb bag of EcoSystems Miracle Mud. I used about 7lbs and still have about 3lbs remaining. The mud is 2 inches deep.
For now I have a small ball of chaeto, a few zoa frags, and a large colony of green Palys that I had to rescue from the heniochus butterfly fish.

For the fuge light I'm using a DeepBlue SolarFlare LED 115. 5x 3W LED Lamps (2x 10K, 2x 6.7K 1x 460NM Blue)

Most importantly I picked up a pair of wyoming white clownfish from Pop Corals and I am very pleased. These are awesome looking fishes and the price was great. They will reside in the sump for another 2 months until I setup an AIO.

I did not re-install the GFO/Carbon Reactor but opted to use media bags filled with GFO and Carbon in the sump.

Now that the fuge is in, I'm going to take out the socks from the overflow and plan to just vacuum the chamber with each water change.

Attachments

• 2013-10-20 11.35.22.jpg
    2013-10-20 11.35.22.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 454
  • 2013-10-20 11.26.18.jpg
    2013-10-20 11.26.18.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 453

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
keep using the socks (even though its a pain in the arse). Also keep using carbon and phosban in the reactors. there is a huge difference when using and not using...

Thanks, I don't plan on leaving the reactor offline for too long. I'm doing a 20g water change every 2 weeks right now and I try to do major projects on a monthly basis; time permitting. When I changed the sump out it was kind of difficult to fit the reactor in the location where I had it. I think I will need to get some longer hoses since I cut the ones I had to perfect length for the old sump.
The media bags will hopefully keep things under control at least for another month or so.

I've always used socks since setting up the tank. I guess I'm just at the point where I'm thinking "what if" I take it out. I've always used felt socks and used to switched them out once a week. This new sump has a mesh sock and I think this type of socks does a poor job of filtering. I had 25 of the 7inch felt socks! But the new sump only takes the 4" socks. So I guess I need to get new socks now.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
November update

Decided to do some work on the Apex this weekend. I have an Eheim autofeeder that feeds a mix of pellet and flakes once a day. But most of the flakes float and they go into the overflow.
So I decided to config the Apex to turn off my Return Pump and skimmer a few minutes prior to the schedule feed time on the Eheim autofeeder.
With the water drained from the DT this will ensure the food doesn't escape into the overflow. I also had to program the skimmer to turn off to ensure it doesn't overflow with the raised water level in the sump. I'm keeping the Return Pump off for 10 minutes, this should give the fishes more than enough time to eat all the food. After 10 minutes the Return Pump and Skimmer comes back on. The water in the sump takes about 2 minutes to return to normal operating level, so to ensure the skimmer doesn't overflow, I delayed its on time with a defer of 3 minutes. This also prevents any sudden increase in current demand. Not that I'm too worried about this.

I was thinking of turning off the Vortechs as well, but decided that I will leave them on. I have a WXM that isn't fully configured and will need to figure out the code to automatically place them into "Slow" mode during the feeding. Will do that at a later time.

To do all this I created a Virtual Outlet (VO) named Ehiem and configure it with the time I want it to come on. I then setup the Return Pump and Skimmer outlet to turn off when the Eheim VO is on. By setting up a VO to do all of this I get the added benefit of having manual control to turn the devices off for any unscheduled feeding. This is great because I feed Rods once a week and PE Mysis once a week. Now all I have to do is manually turn on the Eheim VO and it will turn off the Return Pump and Skimmer. When I'm done feeding, I simply set the port back to auto and everything returns to normal. The biggest benefit to me is that I can do this with my android phone. I thought of using the Feed cycles, but couldn't figure out a way to use them to automate AND also have manual control whenever needed.

Lastly, I have a TrendNet IP camera for many years now. It is one of the older IP110 models. I had set it up a few months ago to view the tank but never configured the Apex dashboard to capture the feed from the camera. So I figure why not add the feed to the dashboard. See below for screen capture update.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-11-03 18.32.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2013-11-03 18.32.17.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 428

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Awesome setup nice to see the journey. I wish I knew how to setup up my Apex with a camera or better yet be able to view when not home!

I learned everything from reading the Neptune Systems forums. I haven't asked any questions as yet, but from what I see, the members are very helpful and the support staff are actively engaged on the forum.

Of course I may be able to help you as well if you are interested in doing more with the Apex. Just be cautioned that I've just started out on this journey. For me, setting up the Network and forwarding the ports on the router was the easy part. But thats because I used to be a Networking/System admin.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The Trendnet webcam is setup to take a snapshot once an hour and send via email and also ftp upload to a server. For the most part the pictures are blurry or don't really capture a good shot. Today I got a good shot of the flame angel.
aga5yse6.jpg

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
APEX Graphs

Screen shots from the Apex
pH vs. ORP and pH vs. Temp
pH is slightly higher, the probe hasn't been calibrated.

Attachments

• pH_vs_ORP-2013-10-28.jpg
    pH_vs_ORP-2013-10-28.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 348
  • pH_vs_Temp-2013-10-28.jpg
    pH_vs_Temp-2013-10-28.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 347

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hourly shots from Webcam

Here are a few hourly shots from the TrendNet Webcam. The camera is configured to take a shot every hour and email me a copy.

Attachments

• 20131107_130605_1.jpg
    20131107_130605_1.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Atlantis.20131017.114159.jpg
    Atlantis.20131017.114159.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Atlantis.20131017.124159.jpg
    Atlantis.20131017.124159.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hourly shots from Webcam - Part 2

Hourly shots from Webcam - Part 2

Attachments

• Atlantis.20131024.134139.jpg
    Atlantis.20131024.134139.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Atlantis.20131029.132851.jpg
    Atlantis.20131029.132851.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 20130907_144908_6.jpg
    20130907_144908_6.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 355

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Ich!!!

I haven't updated in a while and I'm sad to report that a bad case of ich broke out in my tank. Actually, I've had Ich for some time and have captured all my fishes and moved them to the QT tank since the 3rd week of November.
As the Ich went through the normal cycle, it came and went with the fishes showing minor signs. But the breakout in November was very bad. I lost almost all my fishes (2 in the DT and 3 in the hospital tank while treating with copper). The only survivors are my clowns and lawnmower blenny.
I had treated the DT with just about every product I could find, Kick-Ich, Rid-Ich, Kordons-Ich, and I've always fed frozen food with garlic. I know now, ....I was just delaying the inevitable!

I'm treating with Cupramine in a 20g hospital tank. The DT tank has been fishless for just over a month. I'm thinking of going fishless for at least 3-4 months. I'm taking a family vacation in March and don't want to introduce any livestock until after I return in April.

Here are a few updated shots.

Attachments

• 2013-11-30 22.30.25.jpg
    2013-11-30 22.30.25.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 2013-11-28 12.12.50.jpg
    2013-11-28 12.12.50.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 329

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Weekend Project

So I took advantage of all the discounts over the holidays and made several purchases from DRSFostersmith and BulkReefSupply.
I got the Tunze Osmolator ATO and the new Apex automatic feeder at a very good price. I finally have some time this weekend to setup the ATO.

I currently have the Eheim feeder and its working quite well, and I've sync my return pump and skimmer to turn off with the Eheim feeding schedule. I've heard a lot of complaints about the the Apex feeder being extremely loud. I won't hook up this device until my fishes are back in the DT. So I will have to wait and see.

Attachments

• 2014-01-03 15.55.35.jpg
    2014-01-03 15.55.35.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 316

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
ATO Installation

So the ATO is finally up and running. No more manual top-off! I was able to mount the control unit in the last remaining spot on the back support brace of the stand.
I have a 2.2 gallon Nutrasea bottle that I'm using as a reservoir. But I will need at least a 5 gallon container. I have very limited space because I maximize the sump size, so time to take some measurements and call CK for a custom ATO container. I find that my 65g evaporates between 6-7 gallon a week in the winter. I had less than half of that evaporation rate during the summer. Although I think the fact that I recently setup my refugium and added a Solar flare light is contributing to the rapid evaporation.

Even though the evaporation was so fast, I was only topping-off twice a week. This cause a lot of swings in Salinity and whatever else is affected. So this installation will definitely add some stability to the tank. And another benefit of the ATO is that my skimmer gets to run efficiently 24/7 because the water level in the sump remains constant!

Attachments

• 2014-01-03 16.31.39.jpg
    2014-01-03 16.31.39.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 309

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Looking really good. I wish my wiring was some-what organized. I have like no space in there now to go and clean it up. Good idea to wait it out a little longer so all the ich dies off. Hopefully everything works out!

I to have noticed for some reason the tank evaporates more during the winter now lol Not sure why this is

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
btw can you provide some more info on that webcam? I'd love to get something like that

The Webcam that was used to capture those hourly pics above was a TrendNet TV-IP110WN. It integrated with the Apex dashboard, but only provide a static picture.

I've since replaced that Webcam with a DLink DCS-5020. The DLink allows me to Pan/Tilt/Zoom. And it integrates with the Apex dashboard and provides live video feed!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: