Hey guys, so I figured this would be a good time to start a tank thread even though I have not gotten anywhere with the setup aside from actually getting the tank, stand and canopy. I have a 150G Marineland Cube. I am downgrading from a standard 210G AGA simply because I would like to finally have the tank in the living room rather than in an ugly unfinished basement where no one, except me, gets to enjoy all the hard work I put into it.

I found a great spot for it where it will definitely become a center of attention for anyone that walks in the house. I'll try to post pictures tongiht. I decided to reinforced the factory stand with some 2X4s and most likely rebuild the canopy since the factory one is a bit thin in terms of trying to fit an led fixture at a proper heigth without it showing from the top.

One thing that has become a challenge is, finding a way to properly level it given the way the factory stand is built. Any ideas?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
If its an original marineland stand it's probably solid on the bottom, like 5/8" plywood but it did not stop me from using shingles shims.

Do a dry measurement, this way you can mark with a pencil exactly where you need to cut, you remove, cut, and reinstall.

If what you are concern about is whether you wrap entire bottom with shims or not, you can...or you can just add shims on the corners and centers.

ra4uru9u.jpg

There it is for now, empty but it will get there. Thinking of repainting the stand first while I'm at it and like I mentioned, I need to build that new canopy as well

Last edited:

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nah filters and sump will be in the basement so it will just be a matter of getting inside the tank that will kinda suck but it's worth having it where it is.

Agreed. Its always better when the tank serves as an unobtrusive part of the decor. Plus the wife/partner/mom wont have a reason to whine...

Looks awesome there. Gonna be sweet! taggin along.

i have a yankee basement so it sucks for me to have anything down there. its 5 ft high. i wish i had a full basement :irked:..

Funny thing you say that because my basement isn't all that much better. I'm at max 6ft (even lower where the heating pipes run) and it's completely unfinished which is the major reason for this downgrade. It's been in that basement for the past 3 and half years so you can imagine the neglect it gets from everyone aside from me. So since I see no improvements in sight for my dungeon basement, it's finally time to move the tank. Luckily it will serve the purpose of holding my sump and things that are better left out of sight anyways and give me the ability to have beautifully displayed DT upstairs :)

Agreed. Its always better when the tank serves as an unobtrusive part of the decor. Plus the wife/partner/mom wont have a reason to whine...

Looks awesome there. Gonna be sweet! taggin along.

Yeah no kidding on mom whining, funny thing she's actually been cool about it and got me to put it there. Dad on the other hand is so worried about water spilling on the floor and drilling the wall to run the pipes between floors.

I'm also contemplating whether I should repaint it black like it is or paint it to match the furniture in there, although I don't think I'll be able to give it the same effect as what's in our living since it's more like stained wood and the stand will just be painted. I would need a paint to make it look like the piece of furniture below, any ideas?

286763_1_3.jpg

Last edited:

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
I would use 1/2" birch plywood , very strong and light enough . I would paint the inside of the canopy gloss white. What kind of pressure treated wood , are you going to have doors in the canopy ? Or have it lift up ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: