Skimmer foam! Up close pic of bk mini in action. This skimmer is serious

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
195   0   0
Thank you. I bought the tank used off a member on here. It's a deep blue 75 rimless. The stand I built myself

Heres an update of my set up.
Finally upgraded my sump to a custom king. Also got rid of the hog1. It was doing very well but decided to give a fuge a shot since the hog was doing well. The custom king sump is top notch. Great quality. I'm happy with purchase. I have more space in skimmer section. My bubble king was way too tight in old set up n was a pain to take cup off.
Also upgraded my ato. Got the new smart ato micro. Had the original smart ato n loved it. Decided to upgrade to the micro since the sensor is in water n not outside.
Here's a pic of sump now. I recommend anyone looking to get a custom sump to contact Jeff/custom king
looks sweet man wate till the fug gets running good :)

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Thank you. Bulb is 9red/3blue leds. It's a plant led off amazon.

Thanks for the info. Would you say that its growing more chaeto than a regular bulb? I'm asking because I picked up a Par38 LED and have been using it for about 6 months now, but I didn't notice any difference between the Par38 and the 5,500k bulb that I was previously using. So I'm looking to try a different light.

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks for the info. Would you say that its growing more chaeto than a regular bulb? I'm asking because I picked up a Par38 LED and have been using it for about 6 months now, but I didn't notice any difference between the Par38 and the 5,500k bulb that I was previously using. So I'm looking to try a different light.

Well I just set up the fug last week. First time ever running one actually. But from prior experience running algae scrubber, the leds were red and grew like crazy. And a few fellow reefer friends who have fug for long time run this red led.
cant go wrong giving it a shot. Was 20$ on Amazon. Prime 2 days.
Here's link
OxyLED Hydroponic LED Plant Grow Lights, 12W, 12 LEDs, 3 Blue/9 Red
http://amzn.com/B013OMDSIQ

Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update.
Decided to add DIY tank cover. Ordered it from BRS. Very easy to put together.
Really like the open top but really don't want to lose any of my fish. I already lost a lyretai and a blotchy in the past year due to jumping.
I was surprised how it doesn't really take away much from the appearance.

Also want to add that the fug has really taken off. The cheato had to get chopped since it got huge. Cut back the hours of the fug light since my levels have been 0 and I have been feeding heavy. 3xs a day. Still doesn't go up. Phos and nitrates 0. Was having a issue with weird black algae in the fug but I think it was caused by too many hours lights on as well.
Cut back lights to 12 hours.

The sps frags that I added a few months ago have really taken off and got some really nice colors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 248

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Blue Carpet nem has been doin nice. It loves strong flow. It gets blasted by the mp40
This is Pic of the cheato after chopping it up
I love the custom King sump but I did a few diy as well. I didn't like the way the flow into fuge was. I went down a pvc pipe into a cup and flow came up. Seems cool if u have a sandbed or mud in there but I don't so I cut pvc and placed a T in there for nice flow. Also I added a sponge on the exit side of the fug to skimmer section. Didn't like random small pieces of cheato floating in the skimmer section. I try my best to keep my sump spotless. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Updated my lights to hydra 52 HD. They are bright! Have them set half the % as old hydras and still way my brighter. I like that they changed their blue LEDs. Now they give off more of a 20k look. More natural. And colors pop all day not like before only when the lights were more towards sunset.
Everything seems to have adjusted. Was worried about putting the % too high and bleaching but everythings good so far. Only 2 of my lps seems to not like the extra light.

I'm now using one of my old hydras in my fuge. I have to say that the chaeto has doubled in size in such a short period of time. Didn't kno it loved strong light. Running it on 50% intensity/9 hours.

I have stopped dosing tank with bacteria. Was dosing biodigest and special blend on opposite weeks but have noticed that it's not needed. If anything it was making the lil algae I had left stay alive. And was also competing with the macro. Now the few patches of algae are pretty much all gone. Been keeping close eye on nitrate and phos but it has not changed. Still both 0 and feeding pretty heavy.
Really believe the chaeto is taking care of nutrients along side with the bubble King.

Here's pic of sump with hydra

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Blue Carpet is growing very fast. Scared I might need to find it a new home if it keeps growing. Currently around a foot wide if flow is off.

Tank has never been better. Everything has been running smoothly. Sps are all growing and very deep colors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: