Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Ok cancelled the stand and going to make my own :)... :party: to more work :sigh:

Something always comes up but it's best to get it out of the way now. I had the same problem with the stand on my 75G that I was limited in height for my skimmer. What I ended up doing was splitting the drain line in two; one for skimmer compartment on left, one for refugium compartment on the right. It's more plumbing but this way I was able to hold a larger volume in my refugium since I could make the baffle height for that compartment almost as high as the sump tank. It was a solution to the problem at the time but was not ideal (I could never get the flow rates just right).

I just finished swapping out the stand for one I built. I made the new stand 4 inches higher to avoid the problem with the skimmer level. I kept the same 30 gallon long size sump in the tank but now have more water volume in my sump and less plumbing in there.

Looking forward to seeing it all setup.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Still the sump is not big enough. Try the RC calculator.

Here is what I just did.

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 48 inches
Tank Width = 36 inches
Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches
Sump volume is calculated as

Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 15 Gallons

Now you will not run the sump dry and there will be some water in it. Plus the skimmer will take some water in as well. When power goes out, you already have a problem my friend.

Add a UV or Carbon or GFO, you are way over 20G.

That stand must be big. What are the internal dimensions?

i do agree a 20g sounds kinda small but i have a 300dd and it doesn't even drain down 10gal with skimmer and return off, and the tank is full to the center brace. i have a 50 for sump.
i don't see how you can have 2" of drain down when the weirs are only 1" high
and you don't fill it to the top of the wiers? correct me if I'm wrong

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Edd, a 20 will not work on a 200g tank if the person plans on having a skimmer section and even a section for macro. I need to use a 40g due to the skimmer section water level.

If you use a 20g as just a plain sump, water drains and goes back up then yes a 20g with an operational water level about 8 gallons would suffice.

a 20g compartmentalized sump cannot support a 200g, minimum is 35g sump

i do agree a 20g sounds kinda small but i have a 300dd and it doesn't even drain down 10gal with skimmer and return off, and the tank is full to the center brace. i have a 50 for sump.
i don't see how you can have 2" of drain down when the weirs are only 1" high
and you don't fill it to the top of the wiers? correct me if I'm wrong

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Edd, a 20 will not work on a 200g tank if the person plans on having a skimmer section and even a section for macro. I need to use a 40g due to the skimmer section water level.

If you use a 20g as just a plain sump, water drains and goes back up then yes a 20g with an operational water level about 8 gallons would suffice.

a 20g compartmentalized sump cannot support a 200g, minimum is 35g sump

yes i agree the 20 is too small. i was referring to the drain down in gallons.
i have a fifty breeder and is small and tight with skimmer.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
All in all I am glad that folks have the same opinion that I sighted. That said, it was not easy to sway Tony to look into these details :D. Now that he did I am with Rich and will be watching from the sideline. Food and drinks on me. Let's see Tony build the stand :D :)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
T, I couldn't agree more with everyone regarding sump size. My opinion for a fix differs completely though. I say contact Jeff, Custom King and get him to make a sump with an appropriate footprint for the available space.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
sunny i stopped cheato to get my nutrients up but one day will prob. use it again.... As of now my initial plumbing situation is prob. going to be both overflows to the 1st section. At the moment its a little tight with 1 filter sock and would like to utilize some more room to accommodate the socks and space to work :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: