Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 398

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a question about the stand when you started the bottom frame,do you put a square on the inside corners or the outside when putting it together? Are you using regular wood or something more expensive ,home depot usually have wood that is kinda warped sometimes. After the bottom frame is built how can I check if it is tottaly level because where I have to build the stand the floor is not level do I have to put the square on the top where the seam is? last question on the last pic where you have the level across, how do I fix it if its not totally level. I am not a carpenter but I can build things I just wanna make sure I start right. one last question . the mesausement of the tank is it center to center on the frame or end to end, Thanks.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Floor is perfect level, put it all together bottom, upright 2x4's next then flipped it over and screwed the upright 2x4's to the top. As you said the wood is horrible at home depot you have to sort through (eye it) a bunch of wood to get a few straight pieces :sigh:... Then just keep going with the build.

If its off a little bit in measurement from corner to corner it needs to be tweaked a little bit. You would tweak it and Glue then screw or nail skin to the sides and front to hold it in place. i think this stand is off about 1/8 but when i tweaked it that is gone. Its all about using a level and measurements for square.

The tank like the 120 gallon i have atm is not on the edges. I used 3/4 ply top with 2x4 braces on top which i still have to do on this new stand. It will be off from the edges about 3/4" on each side.

Last edited:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
steve,

I have built more than one stand and like you am not a carpenter. I did not use a square on the frame. I used home depot wood on the stands I have built and did not have any issues at all. just have to be careful what you select. if I had a lumber yard near me I may have gone that way, just none available to make worthwhile

I have adjusted the stands with composite shims in the past. my current stand was built by two friends and I pretty much got them coffee! fishandtips dot com has a user friendly diy stand section to at least get you started. tony may have done something different with his build. I like the height he used for his stand, extra room is a plus

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
tony how are you going to finish the stand? the one thing I wish I took into consideration was being able to access the stand from one of the sides. I have shorter arms, makes it tough sometimes to work underneath

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ok guys skinning has been cut i used all 3/4" sanded ply for everything.

The only thing I'm not sure is if i should put another vertical brace (like the middle front) in the back.

Top braces will be done tom. before we skin the stand and install trim. Then painting and sealing the inside sump area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: