Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Here we go again :theyareon

Well guys i figured id start the thread for my last and final upgrade (says the wife :eek: :mad: ) But i was :sleeping: when she said that :lol2:...

Big shout out to Extreme Aqua of New Jersey for getting me the tank at a great price and delivering it, even though he was sick as a dog!

Brand new 200DD marineland tank

Equipment List

- Sfligoi 2 x 400w MH w/4 t5's and 6 moonlights
- 300 w heater
- apex full
- skimz sm203 DC skimmer
- Eheim 1262 return pump
- Carbon/phosban reactor
- Bubble Magus triple doser (dosing super saturated kalk, alk and cal) mag by hand
- 2 Ecotech mp40's (may add a gyre down the road)
- 40 gallon breeder sump (making new)
- Super reef grade sand

Testing

Red sea pro ALK, CAL, MAG
Hanna phosphate meter
Refractometer
Temp (Apex and standalone)
PH Probe (Apex)
Nitrates (Salifert)

This tank will be setup in the beginning of march with the help of my buddies :hug: rich and kris :biggrin: ( Going to be a crazy day :eek: )

More to come soon!

Last edited:

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Can't wait for this upgrade man ! I know it's going to be a crazy one when u got those two heavy hitters sps freaks , going to help you . I'll b tagging along on this one buddy Good luck with it

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
You know after that tanks is up, you gonna have to renovate a room or paint or new furniture or something depending on your salary a diamond something a new car ..that tank isnt going up that easy lol. Good luck on the build..

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Tony

That sump sounds small for a 200G tank. As you go you will add more equipment and that sump will run out of room very quickly.

I would go with at least a 30G sump and go even bigger if you could.

Just my $0.02.

Sunny

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Still the sump is not big enough. Try the RC calculator.

Here is what I just did.

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 48 inches
Tank Width = 36 inches
Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches
Sump volume is calculated as

Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 15 Gallons

Now you will not run the sump dry and there will be some water in it. Plus the skimmer will take some water in as well. When power goes out, you already have a problem my friend.

Add a UV or Carbon or GFO, you are way over 20G.

That stand must be big. What are the internal dimensions?

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Not much room height wise. But with the return nozzles raised up as high as possible it would break siphon once nozzle hits the air..... Im hoping :sigh:

I would not do it. Looking at the design above, you have 6 inch baffles. So you plan to run 10 gallons in the sump. One drain will be 7.5G. So you are at 17.5 already. Add the water in the skimmer and you are at 20.

Get a 30 breeder or a 40 Breeder. The stand has got to have 18 inches height room.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
total height inside would be 25"....

So with sump being at around 17" high (30g sump)
skimmer footprint - 9.21"

how would i get the skimmer out?

You don't, you get an external skimmer :D. There are so many of these DD tank/stands out there. It sounds really interesting on how the folks deal with the sump in them.

I am just making sure you are not looking to swap out the sump after 3 months of putting water in the tank :D.

This is something to think about.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: