Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
MR/Middle school Tank build. If you build it..they will reef!

Hey guys! I'm working on a build for A middle school. It's school where i work and having been passionate about the Hobby for years Fresh an salt wise i try to pass on the passion as often as possible. I had to step away from the Hobby two years ago due to several unfortunate events. i donated everything from my 90 gallon tank to schools and one or two new reefers.It's been killing me to be out of the Hobby so when i was given the opportunity to set up a tank for a somewhat aesthetic but mostly educational purpose.(Mostly a chance for me to get back into the hobby even if somewhat remotely)

That said i'm very early in the build and it's mostly baby steps.Part of the Deal was i have to fund it myself so i have a limited budget and will be innovative as possible,which i've done in the past. I only have the tank and stand so far.So if anyone in Nyc has any Parts they want to get rid of or have stuff lying around that they'd like to donate, let me know.Whatever..canister filters,refractometers..lol..it's all relevant and will be made use of. I've been in the 'For sale threads' and talking to a few Reefers on good deals as well.

Tank:I have to remeasure the dimensions. larger than a 90..maybe 100/110/120? I've cleaned it up.Not drilled,i'll probably have to do a hang on back overflow i guess. i have to take new pics.
Stand: oak stand needed some TLC,I cleaned and repainted it.

i'll add more info as i go and would like to link the tank to MR as well,since there's a wealth of info and amazing tanks on here.Re-establishing young people to their planet,oceans and our eco systems.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Send a Private Message
Thanks to Marrone,i just picked up a tank and stand from him that i'm going to connect with this project later down the line.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Good luck. I'm sure you'll get lots of support from the MR community. When the tank is up and running, reach out and I'll donate some zoas.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 AM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (36 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
I Have a sump and probably a bunch of other stuff. Let me know.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Send a Private Message
Jlavine I appreciate it. It'll be a little while but I'll hold you to that. and I agree this site and club is awesome.
Prattreef I DEFINITELY need a sump I hadn't come across any that was to size and affordable and was dreading having to make one. That's a lifesaver! Im sure I can use anything you have.I'm always humbled when people reach out in this hobby. I've been to two swaps,been on two clean up crews and still have never gotten around to a tour of the Pratt reef tank
Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (94%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
i have an old (like 8 years old) skimmer if you want i used it on my 72 gallon, ill also have some corals for you when the time comes

Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Send a Private Message
xobklynqt143,I greatly appreciate it!I would not turn it down,I've made due with less on my own tanks in the past. I'm also impressed you got a lot into one handle for your name. Lol Sump and skimmer already. That's really awesome! And I just found out the sink has where I can use the faucet adapter for a RODI...that was a major concern for me. Great day so far!!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Send a Private Message
Also it goes without saying,any tips advice,opinion what ever are welcome. you can never know too much and this hobby is all about innovation. Also since i don't have to pay the electric bill should i go with Halides? lol people swear by them,i've always used t5's and had great results.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Send a Private Message
quick update

Finally got it to its place of residence. It was a one man job so it took a little elbow grease.give it a final thorough wipe down. i'm also considering painting the trim.i'm also getting a canopy. in the end i'm going to work hard to make this thing look cool. Function first of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Send a Private Message
Randy aka Prattreef just donated a dump to the build. As most already know a really stand up guy. He went out of his way amidst personal issues and having left the office to make sure I had the sump in hand,stayed to converse and give me some saltwater tips for running a tank in a school environment. I've done freshwater in schools but this is my first attempt at a Reef. I also scored a few extras as far as chemicals and such. I'll post it after I water test. Thanks again Randy. Every little bit is appreciated.