Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
OK, a little update on the seahorse tank.
Well, all seems to be going well. The seahorses seem to be happy and healthy. The female must have placed the eggs in his sack again because he was getting bigger and bigger by there day. I figured I didn't have much to worry about, due to the small amount of fry produced the first time. I did get ready just incase though.
I decided to do three carousel's in a 30g long. Same concept as the 10 gallon tank just bigger. I did two of these tanks identical. I figured when I do my water changes every other day, it would be best for the seahorses to go directly into the sister tank with exact temp and perimeters.
IMG_6933_zps15251aa9.jpg

Well, I woke up on tuesday morning and I find one lonely seahorse fry swimming around without a care in the world :smile: I figured here we go again, only one fry? I knew that there could be more coming in the next day or so, so I was ready. I went out to for a couple of hours and came home to about 130 fry in my seahorse tank :eek:
I guess he was the man after all!! I split them up in the three tanks and feed them rotifers three times a day.

Video of fry
http://vid1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah253/mikeryan556/IMG_6932_zpsimpuws8i.mp4

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that bud.

Marek, I am really not sure yet. The survival rates are usually not good. They are prone to bacterial infections. I am doing the 100 percent water changes every other to try and prevent that. I will have to see how many will make it?

Last edited:

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Such a great set up. I love the yellow seahorses. They look like they are eating frozen? They are really stunning I hope they stay that color for you. Are you planning on adding any pipefish, I seem to see these two together in tanks.

Someone mentioned you needed color in the tank for them to stay that bright, what about a yellow sponge? Might that work? They are very bright and non photosynthetic so could be a possibility?

I am part of the 'its for the kids' group :) , thats how my saltwater tank started (all Nemo's fault!) and now researching SeaHorse tanks so I will be following this thread :)

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Such a great set up. I love the yellow seahorses. They look like they are eating frozen? They are really stunning I hope they stay that color for you. Are you planning on adding any pipefish, I seem to see these two together in tanks.

Someone mentioned you needed color in the tank for them to stay that bright, what about a yellow sponge? Might that work? They are very bright and non photosynthetic so could be a possibility?

I am part of the 'its for the kids' group :) , thats how my saltwater tank started (all Nemo's fault!) and now researching SeaHorse tanks so I will be following this thread :)

Where in Merrick do you live?

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Guys, Thank you very much for the kind words.

Hi Crox, I am definitely not a pro. I just do a lot of reading/research and give them my best. I will definitely keep you posted on the babies progress.

Hi Marcellina, Yes the parents are eating frozen mysis soaked in vitamins and garlic. The babies are eating rotifers gut loaded with RGcomplete and Dans feed. I am going to start adding baby brine to the rotifers next week. The BB are a little big for them and harder to digest. The male seems to loose his color when he has eggs in his pouch. From the research I have done, your best bet on keeping there color is to paint the back glass blue, try not to use a lot of rock in the tank and keep colorful objects in the tank.

Yes, my daughter and I were at Tropical Island yesterday. She wanted to bring home a leopard wrasse for my reef tank. What was I going to say....I couldn't say no! LOL

Hi Rookie, Thank you very much bud. I appreciate the kind words. They are very small, but them seem to be getting bigger by the day.

Last edited:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Guys, I wanted to give a little update on the seahorse fry. They all seem to be doing really well. I have lost a couple since the last post but that is to be expected. I have about 75 still swimming. They have been really growing a lot the past week or so. I started feeding them enriched baby brine as well as still feeding rotifers everyday.
http://vid1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah253/mikeryan556/IMG_0025_2_zpst2qvhteg.mp4

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: