Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
HI Guys, I decided to build a sea horse tank. My daughters asked me to add a sea horse to my reef. I know I can't add them to the reef (they have a hard time competing for food) ..... :idea:.....but I can always add another tank
My wife really didn't like the idea at first but common..... its for the children :D
Anyway, so the build begins.... for the children

I decided that it needed to be plumed into the main system.
At first i put in directly next to the main tank.
IMG_5732_zpsb2eb2ec3.jpg

I then realized that it was just to close for a good viewing experience. So I moved it to the other side of the stand. I think this is much better
IMG_5733_2_zpsa135bcb3.jpg

IMG_5776_zps0cf53b12.jpg

OK, time to paint and add water
IMG_5946_zpsd2c9f5e3.jpg

IMG_5952_zpsdd7335c9.jpg

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Keep in mind that 78 is the upper limit of where you can keep sea horses. Also you will want to airate the water by having the return splash down from the surface or other methods.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
OK, we wanted to add some color and hitching posts that wouldn't hurt the seahorses. My buddy Rob (Jaftica) hooked me up with a really nice tonga branch full of GSP and some green digitata they can hitch onto. Thank you so much Rob!!!
IMG_6016_zpsfa788e7b.jpg

Last edited:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes, I try and pull the (its for the kids cards when I can LOL)
Please forgive the fast posting of the pics. My daughters really want me to do this tank thread on the seahorses so I am kinda playing catchup and trying to keep it interesting.

Last edited:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
WE decided to go with the ORA yellow Kuda. We decided to go with them because are not the cold water species, they are the tropical species. ORA seahorses are typically raised at a specific gravity of 1.020-1.023 and temperatures range from 75-85 degrees. All the seahorses offered by ORA are of the tropical variety, not the cold-water (temperate) species. So when I found this out we decided it was a go for the build.
IMG_6063_zpsaca18b26.jpg

They are so interesting to watch. This is when they noticed the nassarius snail.
IMG_6037_zps002f447f.jpg

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There is a lot of husbandry that goes along with it. I feed the sea horses 3 times a day. I decided to use the feed station method. I feel it keeps most of the food in the tray and not behind the rocks. The seahorses love it!! They really don't have to work very hard to catch their food LOL. I installed a ball valve to control the flow into the tank. Seahorses do not like a lot of flow. My reef has the apex Dose doing 3 gallon a day water changes and I always bast the rocks before it starts.
http://vid1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah253/mikeryan556/IMG_6088_zpsgeydhlys.mp4

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate it.
I got them from Mike at tropical island. They are well taken care of there. Mike had them in his system for some time. I always try to buy my fish from mike. His stock is always very healthy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: