Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok before you read this skip down and look at the pics.. If it catches your interest come back and read this if you want to know what got me where I'm at and what equipment..

What's going everyone,
I wanted some documentation to my build and decided nothing would be better then a timeline on a great forum.. My name is Tony and I've been stuck doing this swap for 3 years lol.. I went from redoing this 75 gallon tank ( due to a broken center brace) to being indecisive and jumping around with a 120... So I have pretty much 2 tanks pretty much equipment wise and decided to pull the trigger on doing 1..

So here is the 75.. Nothing special about this tank and to be honest it was just suppose to be a replacement right? Right sooo while I was at it I decided to build a stand for it.. Wasn't happy with the 28" stand it came with bc I was limited to space.. What was good enough space? Well I went 46" tall lol and to be honest I thought It Was to much and then I thought it was perfect bc where I like to look at my tank ( laying on the floor looking up) I can view it like that from my chair.. Did my 120 stand about 6" shorter bc I thought the space under the tank was too much ( that's another story ).. So now I got the stand now I'm like I would like to redesign my sump.. I would like to have 4 stages.. It'll be nice to have a skimmer stage separate from my overflow and filter sock stage.. ( my current tank has the sock and skimmer in one stage.. Pain in the butt to just change my sock without having to remove my skimmer..

Sooo I build my Sump.. Now I'm like well I don't want to plumb my tank the day of the swap so I buy an overflow.. ( before I bought it though I thought why do all this when I got the 120 already with dual overflows? Why bc I don't own this house I rent and I plan on moving into my own house and was thinking to move that 120 around will be no joke lol ) so I get the overflow..

Now at this time I get lost in what I want to do going back and forth from 120 to 75 and I decide you know what forget the 75 go hard with the 120 so when you leave and deal with this tank that you got till then.. So I start stocking up all types of items..Uv sterilizer, deluxe reactors,tunze ATO ,bubble Magnus dosed, different return pumps, complete neptunes system, skimmer, new rock from BRS, 3 radion gen 2s bc they are gonna last forever and are energy efficient ( when they were on sale before the gen3s came out ) got to get the pumps too right 2 mp40wes and my wife bought me the 3rd ... Stacking equipment.. Bought a 65 gallon for my sump so I can do a custom sump myself ( didn't bother bc it was too big sooo I got that if you need one lol) got the whole 120 there all I need is a custom sump when it's ready..

Soooo I need lights bc my system at that time was a softy tank ( pretty much ) with T5s 4 of them at that and you had to change the bulb every 6 months it adds up.. I got those lights let me put those on.. Then might as well put the pumps right? Let put those on... Then I'm like man I'm might as well so this swap .. I can learn from what I was planning on incorporating in my 120 and do it in the 75... What I don't like I can change on the 12... It'll work out better lol....so now I need a skimmer bc my system has out grown this eshopps s150 ( which it didn't..the pump went dead after 4 years they day before I leave to DR.. Ordered it and went on vacation without my skimmer on.. Got it, installed it and it was the motor all along) I got the skimz s163 ..

Everything is looking alright..I design the sump around my equipment so it's perfect.. I keep moving things around and it's looking good.. I keep looking at my old system and finding the cons in it and improve it in my system.. I triple check everything and keep adding something and changing it.. Like any seasoned hobbyist you improve.. Now the whole time I'm working on this new build my original tank is just looking ugly lol.. I'm getting algae, I'm not doing water changes as much bc I'm tired of lifting buckets.. I'm not changing my GFO or carbon bc where it's at its difficult to reach so I don't bother.. All problems I'm addressing in my new system..

I'm tired of lifting buckets, I'm not weak but when you want to relax and you got a water change to do it's like uhhhh.. so I wanted to change that... The very first Stand I built was for my water change system.. It was ugly.. I was proud lol I didn't bother asking google how to do it and I freestyled it.. So I drilled a 20 gallon tall and put a valve on the bottom to dump into the bucket and haul it to the tank.. Had it marked for every 5 gallons so if needed to make 10 gallons I'll fill it up to that mark add the amount of salt and flipped a switch and wait for the water to mix and warm up.. That was simple to me at one time.. Hauling 4 buckets of water out of my tank and hauling 4 buckets back in.. Every week.. New system I built a stand behind my tank so the same valve I open goes straight to my sump... Also have it plumbed to my Rodi system so all I do is open valves to get the water there and forget it.. When it's done add salt and flip a switch for it to mix and heat up.. Genius.. I'm taking the water out with a aqueon water changer and I'm going to mark each level somewhere on the tank so I always get it right..

So I got water going to the back of the tank might as well do the same for the ATO.. So added another 20 gallon tall with a tunze 3155 ATO with a float valve to serve my top off needs.. The line is feed directly to my over flow now.. As of now a use kalk in my ATO and I use to run the line of the ATO to my sump and had it syhon like 4 gallons straight into my system.. It caused so much damage to my tank and it happened twice! Smh.. So I corrected the problem by running the line up and holding it with a magnetic probe holder..

I plan on doing this swap before thanksgiving ( bc if I don't there will be another slaughter occurring for thanksgiving)and have finally decided to go bare bottom.. Since my wrasse died and my huge brittle star fishes I feel the like of turning over the sand bed has contributed to my problems.. I never was one to take care of my sand bed to be honest but I know I got a lot of nutrients trapped in there.. I feel bad bc I have snails and lots of baby ones as well as a seacucumber but I guess I will be finding them a home.. I will be selling my current set up if my cousin Pete doesn't take it.. It's not great but I have another 75 gallon tank here ( don't ask ) and the sump, skimmer, return and few other items.. When it comes down to it I'll post it on another thread..

So this is where we ar at now.. I did a water test for the sump.. No leaks..did one of the whole system.. No leaks.. I have the Neptune system all connected where I once had the 10 gallon tank for my ATO at.. I figured out where the probes will be, the containers for the dosing pumps, the reactors and there pumps... I sealed the stand and now I'm adding a additional 10 gallon tank in the system to compensate for the lost space in the refugium.. If you got any questions or better yet suggestions please ask and let me know.. I'm still learning and could always use another point of view..

Rebuilt 75 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebuilt-75-gallon-mixed-reef-the-prelude-to-the-120/887248101358708
Current 75 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Current-75-gallon-mixed-reef/1631326683783513
Water filtration system https://www.facebook.com/pages/Water-filtration-system/179236809079601

Here is my equipment list ( 3years in the making and most of this equipment was for my future 120 )

THE "NEW"75 REBUILD

DISPLAY UP ABOVE

75 gallon Aqueon glass tank

Sea swirl 1" oscillating return

Eductors @$15.00 each.

CPR CS102 dual 1" overflow 1200gph

3x Ecotech XR30W ( GEN2 ) radion lights @549.00 each. Max each@140 watts
all 3 fixtures @65% pulls no more then 170 watts total From: bulkreefsupply.com

LED mounting rack with extra bracket for 3rd Radion light fixture from: reefkoi.com
2x Ecotech mp40Wes @$349.00 each(1000-3200gph 9-28W)

Vortech dual driver holders melevsreef.com.

2x Ecotech battery backup @$165.00 each.

2x Jabao WP-25 wave makers @$51.49 each

2x silent air B11 pump w/ battery back up @$22.99

Black cutting board 46 1/4 x 16 1/4 X 1/2 from cuttingboardcompany.com

BOTTOM OF THE TANK
TOTAL=

30 gallon aqueon tank ( 36x12x17 ).

5x plexi glass baffles and silicon
(The smart thing to do is contact melevsreef.com and get the baffles cut to your specifications.
Less hassle and better product shipped straight to your door). from: melevsreef.com

Danner MAG 12 return pump (1200gph) 110 watts

CPR sockit 7" dual inlet sock holder.

Skimz Monzter SM163 DC internal skimmer (rated up to 317gallons)
Depth 7.5-9.5" (600-1200LPH) 9-19 watts use.

BRS Dual GFO and carbon reactors

MJ 1200 return pump (for dual reactors) $40.99 x2

finnex 300w titanium heater (to use with APEX)

Bubble Magnus dosing pump BM-T01

5x 1 gallon containers (for dosing pumps)

Bubble Magnus tube holder bracket.

Magnetic probe holder by neptunes system.

Exo terra mirrored 7" light dome ( for refugium ).

Exo terra lamp holder bracket for light dome

TCP 1P381651K PAR 38 CFL light 75W ( 16W actual )

Marine pure 8"X8"X1" ceramic bio media @$30.59 x2

***New 10 gallon tank
*** new marine land LED 18"

WATER CHANGE / ATO STATION

Tunze osmolator universal 3155 auto top off
Eshopps probe holder ( for ATO line to back of overflow ).

2x 20G extra tall tanks (1 for make up water the other for ATO)(20x10x24)

2x adjustable float valve (1 for each tank)

2x 1/4 to 1/4 inline valve push connect

3 way ball valve w/ John guest 1/4" push connect.

Murklok RO elbow Union push connect.

6 feet of RO Tubing (@ .25 a foot ).

Cutting board 19x9 1/8 x3/4 ( for water make up )

TAAM SEIO 1000 prop pump ( for water make up )

Aqueon 300 watt heater ( for water make up )

ELECTRICAL & SENSORS
TOTAL= $244.49

6x 100cm extension cord @ $10.00 From: fish street.com.
( 2x for my skimz sm163, 1x for my left jabao wp25 and 3x for my right jabao wp25 )

10x 6 foot extension cords to make sure all my cords reach

10x power supplies w/ surge protectors @ $5.95 each.

Cabinet lights

NEPTUNES APEX SYSTEM:

Aqua controller system ( gold package ) From: neptunesystems.com
comes with:
Apex base unit ( the brains of it all )
Energy bar 8
Apex display module
Long life temperature probe
Lab grade PH probe
Lab grade ORP probe
PM-2 salinity module
Lab grade conductivity ( salinity ) probe

WXM- vortech pump controller.
ALD - advanced leak detection module.
3x solid surface leak detection probes.
1 low profile leak detection probe.
I/O break out box.
Energy bar 8.
Automatic feeding system (@ $99.95 each).
Temperature probe ( extended life).
Conductivity probe ( salinity ) lab grade
PH probe lab grade.
12v power supply.
15x ph solution for calibration

2x Generic horizontal float switch ( for I/O BOX)
Netgear WNCE 2001 universal wifi adaptor.

PLUMBING all from bulkreefsupply.com

For CPR 102 overflow:
TOTAL= $137.32

4x 1" schedule 80 union slipxslip @ $4.99 each.

4x 1" schedule 80 45 degree elbows @$3.99 each.

1 1" spears gate valve slipxslip.

2x 1" schedule 80 straight barb x female thread @ $4.49.

2x 6 foot red schedule 40 pipe (for both tanks) @$12.99 each

10 feet of 1" braided vinyl tubing ( for both tanks )@$2.49 a foot.

4x ratchet clamps for braided vinyl tubing. @$1.39 each
For water make up tank:

1" slip x thread bulk head ABS.

2x 1" schedule 40 90 degree elbows @$ 1.99.

1x 1" schedule 80 45 degree elbow.

1x 1" schedule 80 straight barb x female thread

1" cepex ball valve.

STANDS
Both stands ran me around $280.00 as of now and that's without hardware for the removal panels and door hinges I plan on adding.. Also no shellac or stain as well...both stands have sealed corners and was sprayed with water proof sealant.. The stand was to act as another safety precaution in case of over flow from the sump.. I have water sensors there as well and should catch the issue as the 2nd attempt if the first horizontal generic float switch fails..

Wood
Panels
Wheels
Weather resistant Deck Screws
Caulk to seal screws and bottom of stands corners

you can get the plans off of google and off of a few you tubers explaining how to structure the build the measurements would be completely up to your requirements..
This stand was 48.5"x 18.5"x46 3/8"
Yes I know it is high but I went from a claustrophobic stand to this lol
Yes it may be extreme but it suits my preference in viewing angles annnd to be honest this is a test
Setup for my future 120gallon build which I have and will be working on when I move..

Water makeup and ATO stand

the stand is 36"x 11 3/4" x 40 3/4"
The stand has wheel so I can move it in and out in for maintenance and to allow me to get to the back of the tank for maintenance as well.. ( very beneficial )

Grand Total= Still going....

Please check out my Facebook under: Tony Metoo
Feel free to add me and check out my pages under my name for different subjects on this build and current tank set up..I will be on this thread mostly..

I really do love in this forum.. The people here have treated me well and the threads here have been beneficial to me.. It has guided me and given me useful information that I appreciate in this hobby.. I guess this is me giving back to the hobby so someone else can improve and make better on there own.. Been with Manhattanreef since I came to the hobby.. I had a different user name (Turbotone) can't find the password lol and my phone is always logged in.. Wanted to start fresh anyways and not use my car thread name..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's the new idea I came up with as of now... I wasn't liking that I sacrificed space from refugium to put a skimmer stage.. So I'm adding another 10 gallon tank to the system.. It will be painted all black except the front glass that will be visible.. It will be plumbed from another overflow and will used as a fail safe in case the aqua lifter pump fails to come on after a black out or stops working in general.. Then I will put a bulk head and plumb that directly to the return chamber..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 483

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another pic with the stand lights on.. If someone can help me out.. I can't post more then one pic.. I'm loading like 6 pics up but when I press upload only one shows up..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 476

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed wall panel for all the Neptune goodies and extra pumps since I'm going bare bottom I want some pumps on the floor to cut on once and a while and stir things up.. 2 wp25s I believe..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 511

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painted the electrical panel black to just be sleek.. I wanted the netune system to be clean and tucked away from everything .. Away from possible water damage etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 426

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was how it looked prior to the water test and actually got to see the water movement and size of everything before once again I decided to make yet another change.. The sock holder I removed just for more ease.. I extended the tube from the overflow under water to alleviate micro bubbles and make it quiet.. With the sock holder there it made it harder to slip it on and off.. I then slid the dual reactor over and put the pump in the over flow side.. Over all this is how I wanted the reactors plumbed and with all the space I think this will be fine.. The stand and tank will be removable in case i need to change or
Remove something.. Just trying to plan ahead.. Will be putting a float switch to connect my apex as well to shut off the skimmer if the water lever gets to high.. I'm I missing anything? LMK I have my probe holder in my lower refugium section.. Probably going to grow some nice macro algae down there off of that miracle mud..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick pic of my water change system.. Try to imagine this being the back of the the display tank.. I put wheels on the stand so I can slide it in and out in case I bonded to get back there or need to service the make up water tank.. I ordered a cutting board as well and did a botched up job with a router trying to make a path to the bulk head so I don't leave any water in the tank ( I had to always rock the tank to get every lil bit I could out.. I didn't want to do that anymore)... I will get into it in detail so if anyone is interested give me a shout..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 432

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank as of now.. Notice my reactors on the floor in the front? Got tired of reaching into this small space I had all the way on the inside of the tank stand... Such a pain to get too.. Peeped my ikea dressers? Lol function and form as of now one holds my ATO and the other all my supplies.. The new setup where the ATO is at and will be replace by the neptunes system electrical components.. I will get into details of this whole tank equipment and live stock once I figure out picture function.. Till then

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 468

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals.. Don't make fun of my coral placement and types .. This was my first tank so I was happy with what could grow lol and things were placed for t5 lighting.. Some of these corals are weeds to me.. But this hard coral was my first and believe it or not it was growing with my t5s but real slow it took off with the radions..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 413

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement of my dosing pump and slim containers..were perfect fit.. I plan on using one of these container to hold skim mate as well while i travel on vacation..it'll fit perfectly on the front ledge and still allow me to close the door ( when I skin the tank )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 172

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup and healthy corals!
Is that a green carpet nem on the right side? Does it bother the frogspawn or any other surrounding corals?

Thanks for the compliment.. The carpet doesn't bother the frog spawn at all.. I guess I'm lucky.. I actually have 2 carpets in my system.. There's another one in the far left and I've been fortunate that it hasn't bothered anything but it has cut some light for polyps..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 164

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer pic of my existing system.. It's actually in horrible condition due to lack of maintenance and focus on the rebuild.. No excuse but these are the facts

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set up. I just picked up an apex gold package too. Will be adding it to my setup when I have time to get the stand built for it all. Great job on keeping everything clean and organized

Thanks I think I have a light case of OCD.. I think it being organized and functional were my top priorities.. Nice purchase on the neptunes gold. Most likely you'll have it set up before me so do me a favor and let me know how the setup all went for you...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: