fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Nice, very interested in an in depth review of this. What's a "My Basement" thread without picks of the return and sump? What size RO/DI reservoir do you use for your 180? Is that a 55 gallon drum? Is the Dialyseas filling the RO/DI reservoir and pulling from it when necessary or does it make RO/DI as needed?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
"why kill when you can overkill" your system is overkill.
Dave... that's blasphemy! No such thing as overkill. Thank you for the kind comments though:spin:
Fred, there is no resevior. It is plumbed into a water line and it calls for water on it's own when it needs it. No need to store water. The bucket behind the unit is filled with 150 gallons of salt and one of the dosing pumps runs water into it then to the sump. It measures your SG to 0.0001 and doses the salt mix if it needs it s well as auto top-off.
Also, Fred... My plumbing around the sump and on the return is a little messy, so I'd like to clean all that up before I show a detailed pic of my sump. I have to rig up an Oceans Motions 4 way, so I'll be cleaning up the return when I start that.
It's advised that you still run a skimmer with the Dialyseas. Some people say they've had less skim. Mine continues to do pretty well, but I've barely passed the 24 hour mark. Here's nog over the last 36 hours.

Attachments

• skim.jpg
    skim.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The same price I pay for an old Mustang
Ouch... talk about reality slapping you dead in the face. It is a lot of money, huh.
Anyway, I did some testing. Tank water running into the dialysis membrane were:
PO4:0.03 (Hanna)
NO3: 2 mg/l (seachem)
water returning back to the tank after dialysis:
PO4: 0.01 (Hanna)
NO3: 0 (seachem)
I'm sure NO3 is higher than 0, but I'm not overly concerned with NO3 and do not feel I need a better test kit. My tank has done just fine with NO3 over 60 mg/l.
I'm an idiot and did not test my water prior to hooking up the Dialyseas, but my nutrients were very low to begin with. My last check, which was a little over a week before adding the Dialyseas, my PO4 was 0.06 and my nitrate was around 5 mg/l.
My nutrients were low when the machine was hooked up. If you've got high nutrients, you can't expect to buy one of these and have it drop your nutrients down to nothing over night without running it to change at least 10 gallons a day. Since my tank was low, 2.5 GPD is just fine for me. Obviously, since my levels continue to drop, the Dialyseas is removing more nutrients than I'm adding... which basically means more fish for me in the future. :fish:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So far, here's how I feel about it:
As you all know, it's very expensive. Even the president of Seavisions said he feels it's an expensive piece of equipment to put on a small tank. Honestly though, knowing what I know now, I would still spend the money on one. I'm sure some computer savvy guys could probably build something similar for around $1000 if they used top quality parts, but it just wouldn't be the same. The accuracy of this thing is amazing. Efficiency of salt use cannot be compared with regular water changes. As Dean had said with expendable money for the hobby. It's great, if you don't put yourself in debt buying one.
Construction: The labels are cheesy and look like they were printed on a computer that was running out of ink. They forgot to label the outlets on the back of the unit, so I had to figure out what each port and outlet were by trial and error.
The frame itself is pretty cool and durable for salt water applications. All of the Johnny Guest fitting are neat and clean and color coded makes it easy to see where each line goes. The dosing pumps are bulls. Top notch. The LCD display is sweet and the function controls are good.
Set-up: Hooking it up was easy. Color coded is idiot proof. The computer itself, is not. The instructions aren't very detailed. I had a hard time with programming, but I had a hard time programming my Octopus and Doser when I got them. Once I figured them out (with a little help), it's easy to use and I feel it's very user friendly.
Operation: The thing works great. Amazing accuracy. Leave it alone. Once programmed, it does everything for you. Every 30 minutes on the dot it dialyzes water. It does your auto top-off directly from a water line so there is no need to store water. It measures SG accurate to 0.0001 and doses salt accordingly. It can detect a system leak in the unit itself down to a drop of water and shut down. It does water changes for you. If you remove salt water from the tank for any reason, it will replace it. The audible alarm is loud and beeps every time the Dialyseas performs a function, so it's very annoying. I had to shut it off. The pumps are a little louder than I expected. I would not like having this thing in my stand.
Company Claims:
"Reduced maintenance by 75%": I'll call that an exaggeration. I'll say 40 to 50%. It has been giving me more time for my son. I really do feel the maintenance it has picked up and time it has saved me is worth it.
"Efficiency of compared conventional water changes": They say that 150 gallons of salt mix will yield 250 gallons of water changes. The computer keeps a record of how much water is changed and so far, it's on point. It also keeps a record of how much top-off water it adds, so if you go way over your average, it will alert you to check for a possible leak on the tank itself. They go on to say a 200 gallon bucket of salt only makes around 150 gallons of salt mix for conventional water changes if you keep your SG at 1.025. Not to mention time consumed performing changes and the shock to a system performing large water changes. The Dialyseas changes water 48 times a day, equaling 2.5 GPD. That's 75 gallons per month... but they call it "one glass at a time". Well, I never changed 75 gallons per month and by their figures, I'll need 150 gallons of salt every 2 and 2/3 months. I buy 200 gallon boxes for $45. So I lose money in salt, but I now do much less on supplements, as you'll see in the next company claim.
"Reduced need for trace elements" You get what you need from the salt. I'm not sure about this one, but I will say that my CA, MG and alk have gone through the roof since adding the system, so I had to tone down my dosing pump. I still dose amino acids, potassium and coral food, but in much lower amounts. I'm not sure how much of this cost will be made up for because of the additional need for salt.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I ran another group of tests today and here's what I got:
NO3: 0 again, this is with a seachem kit. Out of curiosity, I'd like to get a reading with a better kit. Anyone with a better kit out there... I'll test your PO4 if you test my NO3?:)
PO4: 0.01 (Hanna) Even Hanna suggests you keep your PO4 at 0.03 on their kits. I ran 3 separate tests to insure this was correct. All read the same. I've continued my normal feeding. May increase feeding slightly and start looking into new fish. Any suggestions?
K: somewhere between 370 and 390 mg/l on zeovit kit. NSW is 390 mg/l. I'll basically cut back on K doses and try to stay where I'm at. I have a hard time reading the kit, but zeovit is the only one of out there that I know of who has a potassium kit.
Ca: 470 (salifert) Looks like I've got to drop my dosing pump down even more. I know some people keep their Ca very high, but that's not what I'm looking to achieve here. I'd like to get it back down around 425.
Mg: 1410 (salifert) Would like this lower (around 1350) as well
Alk: 10.2 dKh (salifert) I like it there.
I ran my tests with 2 different salifert alk kits. Both have the same exp date, but I got different results between the 2 tests. The results posted are from the more recently purchased kit. Not sure which one is correct though. I'm becoming more and more unhappy with Salifert.
BTW, I also tested the return water from the dialysis and it tested 0.00 PO4. I'm not going to bother testing the water returning from dialysis anymore.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
very nice chris,how you make out with the light problem
frank
not well. The diagram just didn't make sense to me. I couldn't find an electrician willing to pick up such a small job. I Had to pull a buddy of mine who can barely walk out of retirement to help me out. I felt bad, since it's upstairs, but he got it done and talked me through what had to be done in the attic. He couldn't get up there.

S

socrates

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just happened on this thread after doing some research on the dailysis. I haven't seen any updates just wondering if you are still using the unit or is it sitting in a corner somewhere? I'd love to hear anything new that you have found after running the unit hopefully for almost 4 years.

Thanks

S

socrates

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
That's too bad i was hoping for a newer update on the machine to see if it was really worth the extra money over the long term. Do you know if anyone else is willing to step up and provide a review?

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I sold mine not that long ago. It is like ANY piece of equiptment we buy for our ayatems, "IT NEEDS TO BE CHECKED"!!!!! It does alot for you but you still need to make suree the filters are not needed to be replaced. And that the float switch is working properly. And that the probe is calibrated properly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: