evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Hey, been a pretty long time since I had a tank up and running. Last time, i had it going it fell short for awhile while i was looking for a house.

Bought the house in July 2016 and finally coming around to setting up a new system. Decided i am going to sell the old 70 for a new 70. Mainly due to dimensions and placement for the new system.

So like all my builds here is my new Build list.

RED SEA REEFER 350 White Stand

• Lighting - 2 AI Hydra NonHD 52s with AI Director
    • Kicker decided i wanted some T5s
    • I went with the Aquatic Life T5 hybrid to simply add the hydras to it
    • Held by Zero Edge Tree Lamp Holder
  • Controllers
    • Apex original with EB8
    • RK2
    • DC Pump
    • Macspect Gyre Pumps
  • Waves|Pump
    • Maxspect Gyre XF230 x2
    • Simplicity DC 1600
  • Doser
    • Kamoer 4 pump with bracket
    • 2Part dosing for now
  • Skimmer|Reactors
    • BM Curve 5 - will be upgraded down the line
    • I have a bunch of phosban reactors but like the newer aquamax reactors
    • NextReef MR1 Shorty for BRS Carbon Rox
    • Aquamaxx Algae Reactor
  • Salt- im a Red Sea Coral Pro fan
    • Can and should i go with IO until a few weeks before i add my initial batch of coral? I feel it might be a real waste prior to that. Looking at month 6 before i add sps.
    • Looks like a new salt on the market and includes prodibio products or affects. Aquaforest.. I intend to switch over 1 month prior to introducing SPS.

Livestock

• Fish
    • Blackice clowns
    • Yellow tang
    • Purple tang
    • Flamehawk
    • Midas blenny
    • Sunset anthias
  • Corals
    • I want to go 99% SPS dominant but we shall see
    • Definitely want a gold torch

A few things that have changed is Marine Pure blocks. Need more info and see if i can still take a minimalist approach to my rockwork if I implement these pureblocks.
Anyone know if that old school vendor in upper manhattan area (was originally in yonkers) who had all the crazy deal still around?
Any new Vendors or good deals in NNJ Bergen county area?
Algae reactors look great especially for this setup but expensive imo. Anyone running them think they are worth it? I saw some people stating no need for rowaphos/gfo since chaeto will grow insane.

Anyway, no pictures yet since i literally just placed the order for everything. Hope to be dealing with you SPS growers soon. Prep me some frag packs!!!

Last edited:

beang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Purple and yellow tang may not be a good idea in reefer 350.
Purple tangs are usually very aggressive against the yellow tangs, based on my experience in my old refer 350.
On the other hand, some people claim that they can manage it some how.

2-Gyre 230's, one on either side worked perfect for me and in my current 525xl as well.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks guys.

Beang thanks for confirming the 230s will work for the size tank. I was nervous when i purchased that it would be too strong.

I plan on doing a few things different with this tank.

A. I plan om doing a full on SPS tank so i will have 6 months to prep before my first batch of corals will be added.

B. Algae reactor - no fuge

C. Filter cups - hated doing filter socks. Huge nasty maintenance i hope will be a non issue moving forward. I am ok with detrius settling at the sump than anywhere else in my tank. It will be open space so easy cleaning.

D. AquaticLife T5 fixture- nervous i am wasting my money on it. Although price is ok and will only be for supplementing the Hydras.
T5 first combo - Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Blue+
Obviously i like a blue look and more for coral POP. I can have my Hydras add to any additional color to reduce the blue.

E. No need for dosing til month 6 but will build the beneficial bacteria with Biodigest in the between months. I may go with a marinepure block as well.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
BRS Screw ups!!

Slightly disappointed in BRS.

Their website states the following:

Red Sea Aquarium kits are drop ship items only. Due to their size we are unable to have them on hand in our warehouse. All drop ship orders will be placed with BulkReefSupply.com will be submitted to the manufacturer within 2 business days of receiving the order.

Red Sea only drop ships tanks on Fridays and any order received by midnight CST on Wednesday will ship out directly from Red Sea on the following Friday.

Drop Ship tanks can only ship to the 48 state contiguous USA.​

I purchased the tank on 1.21.2018 Sunday with expectation that at the very least the tank purchase would be sent to Red Sea by Wednesday. I got an email back that the purchase went out to Red Sea on 1.25.2018 Thursday.

So now I am pissed that Red Sea may not even get to my order until this upcoming Wednesday and I won't receive my tank possibly until 2/9. What a f*cking mess.

Spent 3k at BRS and this is the type of service they provide? I might bring my business elsewhere in the future depending on how they handle this. So far pretty shitty.

Issue 2
I just got an email after complaining that they sent me my other order and completely forgot my AquaticLife T5 fixture. I sent pictures with the 2 packages I received. Showed the size of the box and both boxes and their respective package slips.

The boxes were ~24" and the fixture is 48".

The guy then asks to confirm that I am missing the fixture. How else do you answer that but to be sarcASStic? I only sent pictures of proof and emailed you about the issue (phones were closed by the time I got home Friday.)

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
No longer recommend BRS to anyone.

They are trying to make me feel like the order date is as quick as they can. Etc. None of their 3 day shipping came in 3 days. It is next business day + 3 business days. Place an order on Monday and you probably wont get it til Friday. Even if you place the order in the middle of the day. +EST vs CST

Either way. Gl to anyone who goes with them in the future.

Good news is the tank hasnt even shipped yet. Ordered on 1/21 and they may have shipping info for me tomorrow.

If no shipping info received, i will be cancelling my order from them.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
^I honestly knew that I had a lot to buy and BRS reviews have in a majority cases been a top notch online retailer. I never bought anything of a decent amount of $$ from them but prior cases were smooth as well.

I'd buy smaller items from them but would never recommend purchasing from them in bulk/big priced items again.

Live and learn.

Unfortunately, I would take reef trends or premium aquatics offers up quickly but it will take just as long to get my refund and purchase the tank then to just leave the order alone.

I'll be waiting about 3 weeks if I am lucky to receive my tank. If it was a custom tank, I'd be more than willing to wait. I assume this tank is well in stock at Red Sea and no reason for it to take this long unless they dropped the ball.

In this case, it was BRS not once, but twice causing the shipment to be way beyond delayed.

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
evo I just purchased the 350 as well from salt water aquarium dot com sat the 27th its scheduled for delivery this monday. they have it stocked in their warehouse don't have to deal with red sea drop ship. I also ordered some items on wed at about 2:47 and they shipped at 3:08 that day. would have been delivered today but signature was required had to have them hold it. used them in past no issues. I have had issues with brs in past missing items, very frustrating.

I've heard good things about reef trends and premium aquatics too I didn't know they had a sale going oh well...hope you get your tank soon I can't wait to get mine going!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Delivery has been set for tomorrow!

My QT tank is up and running as of 2/11/2018. 20L

I'll run QT for the next few months while I am introducing new live stock then switch over to a frag tank setup (different tank).

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
EXCITED!!! DELIVERY HAS BEEN MADE.

Before setting up I have a few things I need to double check.

The location where my tank is going is parallel to floor joist but against an exterior wall (garage). Unfortunately going perpendicular to the space available is not an option.

SO NOT IDEAL AT ALL. But hopefully it will work.

It will be going over 2 joists (2x8) (all joists are sister braced) in the CENTER of the joist at the middle.

A room below it so I can't just add something to brace it further. If I see any stress at the drywall ceiling, I will remove the weight a.s.a.p and then make three options that really work better but A LOT MORE WORK than expected.

1) plumb sump into garage (not very well insulated and will have to build everything and go with an oversized chiller to keep temps in check while insulating around the tank and pipes.

2) plumb to the basement

3) move it to the basement (rather sell until I get a better option) or extending the house/Garage to make a fish room.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Next issue:

It looks like the red sea reefer stand has "feet" making it contact points vs distributed load.

It probably effects me BIG time with the information above about being over 2 joists.

I know my floors aren't 100% level as well so I also have to shim the stand.

This sounds like a nightmare. I went with the 350model (93gal total) over the 450 model or SCA 100gal tank because I wanted to lighten the load knowing the above. Giving me some leeway.

Can someone say "I'll be fine and paranoid!"

Thanks for any comfort!

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I wish i could tell you you'll be fine but I can't speak of the load capacity of the joists. I was considering taking the feet off but i think i am going to leave them on. Tank is on tile on concrete slab I was worried about cracking the tiles but i think (hope) it will be fine. Someone didnt do a good job laying the tile and the tank has to be shimmed in the back about qtr inch, should be fun. I read on r2r someone called red sea and they were informed to shim under the feet and not up to the wood but ive seen mixed opinions on this. Going to fill the tank and give it a whirl this weekend. What do you think of the quality of the RSR thus far? I am happy with it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: