Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think unless it's going to be a while until the rocks come out of the tubs, doing a water change without having any Po4 removing devices hooked up would be a waste of effort. I just don't think much will leach out of them while in the tubs. What I would suggest is setting up a series of about three 5 gallon buckets and in series of 1st to 2nd to 3rd buckets swish the rocks vigorously to shake out as much debris as possible. If you are seeing a lot of debris still accumulating in the 3rd bucket, dump the water and add fresh SW and repeat the process. Seeing as you are not cooking your rock, you want it as clean as possible before putting it in the new tank.

Is all the rock out now? there is still some in the tank in the pics.

Once the rock is out, I would start draining the tank to a level where the fish are easily caught, this will put less stress on them than chasing them around the tank with a net. Starting with the largest, drain the water until their dorsal fins are starting to come out of the water, now they will be easily caught,once they are out, drain some more and repeat until they are all out. A Couple of 5 gallon buckets with airstones and heaters will be fine for them, cover them so they are in the dark and the buckets are out of the way and will not be disturbed, this will create the least stess for them (other than having a temporary tank set up for them).

Drain the tank, remove the sand, take down the tank and start plumbing the new one, You should already know as exact as you can, how you plan to plumb it.

Once plumbed and ready to run, I would start the rock work, do this quickly and get everything ready to run.

You want the rock on the glass so no "burrowers" will disturb the sand underneath it. You might not like it intitally and can redo it later, you don't want that rock out of water any longer than needed to prevent any die off.

Add your sand (after rinsing well, don't rinse the "Live") and cover it as much as possible with new garbage bags and start filling by pumping or dumping the water over the bags. Once you are about 1/2 to 2/3 full you should be able to SLOWLY AND CAREFULY remove the bags as to not disturb the sand. fill the rest of the tank.

Fill the tank, unless your old water was real bad, I would keep about 1/5 of it to add to the new setup.

Re acclimate the livestock.

There are many ways to do this, my way might be completely different than how others would go about it. there is no absolutely right way to do it, so take everyones advice and go with what you think will work best for you.

Last edited:
S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I second taking time on the plumbing. It also helps to draw a map of what you want to when you go to get your supplies , also get etrxa pieces b/c you can always return them later. And do your self a favor spend the money on the good stuff, I cheap out on my plumbing to only find that if I kept it the way it ws the slat would have ate through the material over time so there was like 100 bucks wasted.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you guys.. I have been blessed with some great people that will be doing my plumbing.:grouphug: No fears there.
Bulbs just came on, guess they just needed to warm up.:fishhit:

bronxer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In your initial post you mentioned "4 buckets of esv fine sand"

I just purchased a 144 gallon bow front tank. I was trying to figure out how to obtain sand for it and saw your quote.

What is "esv fine sand" and how can I get some?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
In your initial post you mentioned "4 buckets of esv fine sand"

I just purchased a 144 gallon bow front tank. I was trying to figure out how to obtain sand for it and saw your quote.

What is "esv fine sand" and how can I get some?

Bronxer, below is a description of the esv sand. You can get it through vendors on this board. I got mine at Fish Town Usa on Northern Blvd. in Queens 5 gallon bucket for $32.99.
Good luck with your set up..
"Fine Grade" Oolitic Aragonite Reef Sand

<HR>

Our "Fine Grade" sand is nonbiogenous in origin and is formed by natural precipitation in only a few tropical oceanic regions throughout the world. As a result, this sand is relatively "new" when speaking in geologic terms, and therefore consists of more soluble, unstable forms of aragonite compared to sand collected from inland sources. Since this aragonite does not originate from living corals, and is continually precipitating in our oceans, it is a readily available, renewable resource.

The very fine particle size of this sand offers many advantages to the aquarist. Finer sands provide an environment which supports a wider diversity of substrate dwelling species than coarser grade sands. It has been our experience that these organisms quickly establish themselves as recruits from live rock. This process usually takes about one month. Seeding with "live sand" may speed up the process and increase the diversity of substrate dwelling organisms. The addition of live sand is not essential for this product to perform as a denitrifying habitat within closed aquaria. The fine particle size also prevents entrapment of larger detritus particles, provides efficient denitrifying zones with as little as one inch depth, and facilitates dissolution of sand by providing very high surface area. The spherical nature of oolites also facilitates more uniform diffusion of water throughout the sand bed. No silica is added to this product, and testing shows our sand to be completely soluble in hydrochloric acid.

The sand is packaged in a reusable plastic 5-gallon pail and cover. 11 pounds of sand will cover 1 square foot of tank bottom with a sand layer 1 inch deep. We recommend 1.5 to 2 inches of sand.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Well, getting really close to D-day. One more thing I forgot to pick up, and I think I better get it. I need the plexi glass to the light fixture, this thing is 72" long.
What kind & where can I get the plexi glass at?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Your best bet is the local yellow pages under 'plastics'.

Are you sure it is supposed to be plexiglass? (don't know how close this piece is to your light bulbs)

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just changed out the plexiglass on my new hood with glass. I had the glass cut in in 3 sections so as not to risk it breaking. MUCH better than the plexiglass.

Hope all works out great for you!

-Alfred

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Alfred, this makes sense and it will be much easier to handle then a 72" piece.
Did you get the glass the same thickness as the original plexiglass?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It is done, we had a blast.:party: the fishies:goldfish2,starfish:starfish: & corals are back home. Pics to follow.
Thank you, slama, pedro, scarf_ace, Kathy, crox99,wingo. :grouphug:

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'll get some pics up when i get a chance. We went in and did what we had to do. Everything turned out great. Hope you like it Awilda, but man what a mess we left behind, lol. Great Job guys!

Until i can get some pics up, i'll leave you with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
It is done, we had a blast.:party: the fishies:goldfish2,starfish:starfish: & corals are back home. Pics to follow.
Thank you, slama, pedro, scarf_ace, Kathy, crox99,wingo. :grouphug:

It was my pleasure. Hope to see you soon so I can give you the Xenia frag.:letitallo

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
pr6.jpg

LMAO. damn i need to eat more or put on some more moisturizer. PEDRO:mad: i'm gonna kill you.:biglaugh:

i had a blast!. thanks to awilda for allowing us to participate.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
pr6.jpg

LMAO. damn i need to eat more or put on some more moisturizer. PEDRO:mad: i'm gonna kill you.:biglaugh:
Hmmm, did Perdo take that pic before breakfast and coffee?:scratchch
...maybe he didn't have the camera adjusted quite right...?
...you might want to have a doctor take a look at that right eye...

Was it Perdo who kept bringing up Photoshop yesterday...we all have reason to be scared now!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: