Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
OK guys & gals the breakdown of the 155 bow front has begun. And new equipment and supplies have been ordered.

155 RR Bow Front with 2 - overflow kits Tank, 4 buckets of esv fine sand, 2 buckets IO salt have been ordered via FishTown. To be delivered late this week.

2-72" Uri Super Actinic, 3-Ushio 175watt 10K, 3-BulkHeads 1" slip/slip,
1-phosban reactor, 2-maxijet 400, 2-Pendutors 3/4" Males on order via "DeepwaterExtremes"

RO/DI has been ordered from air water and ice. On the UPS truck as I type.:D

I am picking up the container for the water this weekend. 44gl. brute on wheels in the house..

Canopy has been ordered from Omega

Refractometer ordered from Reef Exotics

Also picking up an Aquamedic Dosing Pump

And I would like to have an automatic top off. I have a 10gl.tank that I could use for this. What else would I need?

I went looking, and found some of my old equipment. So while I am waiting for equipment, I decided to start cleaning up my lr. My lr has been in my tank, and in my girlfriend's tank for over 4yrs. gotta get rid of phosphate build up.

The plan is to use my old 175 watt se MH with the vho for lighting.
Turboflotor Multi 1000 w/oceanrunner pump. WHILE I SAVE UP FOR A BETTER ONE..
Iwaki WMD-40-RLT (closed loop?). I definitely do not want pumps in my tank.
34.9gl. sump.
Canopy & hood with 4- 4" Icecap fans at both ends. 2 blowing into the canopy, 2 blowing out in the hood.

Clean up
Stage 1. 2-37 gl. rubbermaid tub, tap water filter, sea clone skimmer, 150watt heater, cap1800 & a rio2100 pump, coralife salt for cleaning LR.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 height=5>
forumbox_top_left.gif
</TD><TD background=./images/misc/forumbox_top_tile.gif height=5>
forumbox_top_tile.gif
</TD><TD width=6 height=5>
forumbox_top_right.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=5 background=./images/misc/forumbox_left_tile.gif>
forumbox_left_tile.gif
</TD><TD class=forumbox></TD><TD width=6 background=./images/misc/forumbox_right_tile.gif>
forumbox_right_tile.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=5 height=6>
forumbox_bottom_left.gif
</TD><TD background=./images/misc/forumbox_bottom_tile.gif height=6>
forumbox_bottom_tile.gif
</TD><TD width=6 height=6></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width=75><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=50 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=28></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: center 50%; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quote-bg.gif)" vAlign=center width="100%">Quote:</TD><TD vAlign=top>
quot-top-right.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-lr-bg.gif)" vAlign=bottom align=left></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width=0><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=200 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
quot-by-left.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-bye-bg.gif)" vAlign=center noWrap align=left width="100%">Originally Posted by Awibrandy </TD><TD vAlign=top>
quot-by-right.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-bg.gif)" vAlign=center width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>
quot-top-right-10.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quoting-left.gif)" width=10></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quoting-right.gif)" width=10></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-left-bg.gif)" width=10></TD><TD class=smallfont vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>Guys, how much will my corals suffer if I dump all the old sand & water, and start brand new with RO/DI water & ESV sand, and my old lr?

The corals that I have are mostly lps, leathers, mushrooms, polys, zoas, caps, and some other one that we don't know what it is.
quot-top-left.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=200 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
quot-by-left.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-bye-bg.gif)" vAlign=center noWrap align=left width="100%">Originally Posted by Deanos </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width=75></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-lr-bg.gif)" vAlign=bottom align=left></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width=0></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"Dumping all the sand will take ALOT of beneficial bacteria with it. Add a 100% water change and you're subjecting your corals to alot of stress."

The above is a question & answer from Deanos I had posted on another thread.
While I got an answer. I need to follow it up with another question.

How much of the water should I save then?

What I plan to do next is put the 3 medium size tangs, 1 small tang, dragonet, 2 firefish, 6line & blue side wrasse, medium size maroon clown, corals into 55 gl. tank. And then start getting rid of the sand, and how ever much water I don't have to save. This way when the guys that are going to help are ready the old tank will be empty. I learned from the last time I don't move as fast as I used to.

Will update as I proceed. If you guys see me doing something wrong please feel free to scream. The louder the better. Chemo brain makes me very prone to mistakes.:lol2:
Thank you all..

By the way, I can use loner containers, and two pumps while I wait for delivery Please..:hug:
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND></FIELDSET>

Attachments

• Breakdown of 155 bow front 004.jpg
    Breakdown of 155 bow front 004.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Breakdown of 155 bow front 005.jpg
    Breakdown of 155 bow front 005.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,166
Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
that 1st pic looks like my kitchen ,gimme back my containers :lol: jking

Everything looks great ,one thing i would do so you dont have any future problems ,is find a ways to put the skimmer in a rubbermaid as welll ,this way if the skimmer all of a sudden gos nuts ,you wont have water all over the floor :)

I would also tie something around the rubber maids just in case ,it will keep some stress off the rubbermaid ,JMO
Ronen :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
awilda. the rocks are in saltwater right? why not put the fish in there? when i broke down my 40br and 90g i put everything in a rubbermaid. no problems whatsoever.

Yes Scarf, the rocks are in saltwater..:lol2: My brain is not that bad.:biggrin:
I can put the smaller fish in the tubs moving day with a tight lid (wrasse & firefish). But the big guys (3" - 4" tangs) won't have any swimming room. In fact I think they would have to lay on their sides.:( Don't think they'll like that much.:lol2:
It seems that I do get a little intense.
I've decided to calm down, and leave everything in the 155 until moving day. I'm just going to do 25% water change as needed until D-Day...

Attachments

• Breakdown of 155 bow front 003.jpg
    Breakdown of 155 bow front 003.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,090

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The rocks were removed in 2 stages last week. Today I plan on removing a 3rd. of the sand, thursday another 3rd. sat. the rest. The refuge w/dsb will stay until D-Day.
As always any feed back is more then welcomed..:turtle:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The sand is being dumped. Starting over with 4 new buckets of esv fine sand, and 1 bag of araga live. I was going to start doing 25% water change in the tank, and in the lr tubs with the ro water in the hopes of getting the process of ridding the tank of as much phosphates & silicates that have accumulated over the past few years.
I have to continue with routing water changes since I don't know exactly when D-day is.
Do you think this is a bad idea?

Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
When I switched to my new tank I did it as follows:

Old tank:
1. Removed the water that was going to go in the new tank
2. Removed LR
3. Removed all fish
4. Removed the rest of the (now dirty) water
5. Dumped the sand

New Tank:
1. Plumbing done, equipment (mostly) ready
1. New sand already on the bottom
2. Newly made water in tank
3. Added LR
4. Added "old" tank water
5. Acclimated fish
6. Added fish

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
When I switched to my new tank I did it as follows:

Old tank:
1. Removed the water that was going to go in the new tank
2. Removed LR
3. Removed all fish
4. Removed the rest of the (now dirty) water
5. Dumped the sand

New Tank:
1. Plumbing done, equipment (mostly) ready
1. New sand already on the bottom
2. Newly made water in tank
3. Added LR
4. Added "old" tank water
5. Acclimated fish
6. Added fish

Understood, except that the plumbing on my new tank cannot be done until the old tank has been removed.:( I am using the same stand.. Thanks for the advice thou. I appreciate any, and all input.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
RO/DI is in the house. Read the instructions doesn't seem to be as simple as I thought. But then again I am better with hands on.

Attachments

• Air,water,ice RODI unit 002.jpg
    Air,water,ice RODI unit 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 384
  • Air,water,ice RODI unit 003.jpg
    Air,water,ice RODI unit 003.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 385

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you KathyC for lending me the Brute.
Hooked up the RO, came w/a bad part. The co. sent the part 2 day delivery, so it should be here today. Then I can start making water.
THe tank will be delivered next Wednesday, Valentines Day. By then I should have all the components needed for the install.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Before phosban reactor 1/17/07 phosphate 1.25, after 2/16/07 phosphate .25. But to be fair, I also removed all my lr but 3 pieces, and started topping off with RO/DI water.:biggrin: Me thinks I'm headed in the right direction.:wink1:

PM you Wingo.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Got the ushio in. I only got two, the other is on it's way. I removed two of the old ones, screwed in the new ones. And nothing happened. Took them out again, put them back they flickered, the middle one is the old bulb. When the middle one came on the others went off.

What am I doing wrong? No I am not touching the bulbs with my bare hands.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: