Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by editour2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the total wattage of the 6 Photons and the LED bars combined?

Nothing to be worried about I was just curious to see the rated wattage of each figure combined. For example: I have 2 photon 32 V2+ fixtures rated at 220 watts each, (I suppose that would be if every channel was at 100% intensity....which I don't do), plus 4 x 80 watt T-5's. So..........total rated wattage for my lighting system is 760 watts as compared to 3 x 250 watt metal halides = 750 watts.
My point being initially LED's were touted as using less wattage then metal halides however as you can see my total rated wattage is actually the same. Only savings is the heat halides produce as opposed to the LED fixtures and of course the frequency in which the bulbs are changed, (although I change the T5 bulbs every 18 months).
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Send a Private Message
Ravi......this might be a little bit after the fact but have you given any consideration to plumbing maintenance and how that will be accomplished? It's not a concern when you first setup the tank but after 4 to 5 years you will be surprised as to how much gunk/growth ends up clogging your plumbing and restricting circulation/flow. See my post here on RC:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2689640

I did not allow access to plumbing at multiple points, (although I did add union ball valves & union valves at different critical/standard points), and now I will be forced (after 8 years running) to cut and address issues that I am experiencing.
Frank
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (51 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
thank you Frank, I have started the pluming on my tank and this is my top priority that when it comes to maintain and cleaning of my return and manifolds they are very much modular design with sections that can be taken apart and clean if I have to, I will be using 1.5" pvc that will house my manifold with gate valve, I am not planning to run any carbon or GFO reactors, but I will be running nitrate and cheato reactor that will be plumbed with 1" input and 1.5" drain but I get your point and I have already plan in place for this...
Old 01-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
thank you Frank, I have started the pluming on my tank and this is my top priority that when it comes to maintain and cleaning of my return and manifolds they are very much modular design with sections that can be taken apart and clean if I have to, I will be using 1.5" pvc that will house my manifold with gate valve, I am not planning to run any carbon or GFO reactors, but I will be running nitrate and cheato reactor that will be plumbed with 1" input and 1.5" drain but I get your point and I have already plan in place for this...
GOOD !!! It's a good thing to learn and plan from the mistakes of others, (like me, LOL).

When your system is up and running and has coral and fish I'd love to stop by and see it in action.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Send a Private Message
sure thing,, getting very close to filling it up, just need to order DI filter but I am going to order larger 1 so I don't have to keep changing media anytime soon...I made ton of mistakes in my last build and trying my best not to repeat..

Last edited by ravi197699; 01-11-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Ravi,

where did you get that heat exchanger and is it titanium?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Send a Private Message
Yes I bought 3 heat exchangers in the past and I am using 1 which is dual coil and it will sit vertically in the sump.. I know you can tell I am hoarder when it comes to equipment... lol
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Looking forward to continued progress and water! I think most here could only dream of the day...
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZOFIQ View Post
Ravi,

where did you get that heat exchanger and is it titanium?
yes i it titanium, I have 3 in difference sizes but larger enough to handle 1000 - 2000 gallon tanks
Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Looking forward to continued progress and water! I think most here could only dream of the day...

getting close Timbo, only few things to take care of and this will be filling with water soon