A

Anonymous

[rimg]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10885022_10204632314402125_753252887749876371_n.jpg?oh=47198d67053c21900501a35ef5e3338e&oe=552ED5F0&__gda__=1430148041_f5a1b8bf3a65e4ec00856c867ba59bb5[/rimg]
[rimg]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10417715_10204632308441976_4761956824372522575_n.jpg?oh=a39e35ce8c72987dfd8c6744d4806d5e&oe=5547FCCD&__gda__=1425642418_5be88c7d9c209cb339b837cc6e3b3ffa[/rimg]

right side of my tank, after a few hours "mowing" the hair alge of the rocks...got some weird growth structures, but I like it.

That tabling Milli has full encrusted the epoxy now and a bit onto the rocks...its a strange light wash of blues and greens now...

A

Anonymous

a few close ups with the point an shoot my Pop gave me- they're a bit overblued...
my wife picked out this frogspawn a year ago, it was a singular head, now at last count, six. Weird though, the torch nor the hammer has grown any other "heads" yet, both are at least 9 months old

this one, I didnt realise, until i had gotten home, wasnt the frag I had pickedout- the kid bagged the wrong one. Its a 40 minute drive so no going back. like I said before, when the polyps are retracted, it pretty much looks dead. dead dead. but its seems to be doing well, its coloring upa bit more
[rimg][/rimg]

A

Anonymous

Hydnophoras have always been a particular favorite sp. of mine, I'm really itching to get a Blue specimen(I had no idea there was such a color Hydno until about a year ago) to go along with my "standard" green one...of course, years ago, they were standard, I saw them every where...now, not so much, at least not locally- I havent seen any frags available since I got this one. Although I do have a frag of it healing right now
[rimg][/rimg]

one of my "mutants" no idea on the species, green with blue edges, and a haphazard growth pattern -600pgh sump return line blowing behind it, along theglass wall(coral sits about 2" away from back glass) from theleft, and an MP-40 about two inches in front of the coral, blowing from the right, full on, reef crest mode.(Chris said it may have something to do with the growth patterns, but the sorals next to it arent growing this weird...yet)
[rimg][/rimg]

A

Anonymous

what I was told is a tabling milli, had taken on some yellows and blues to its new flesh, not so peachy colored anymore, and other than happily encrusting, it hasnt branched out yet...
[rimg][/rimg]

in the short amount of time that I've had this sp. its managed to sprout a thin second arm...so damned hairly, I'm not really sure what colors are lurking beneath..
[rimg][/rimg]

A

Anonymous

Nice looking pieces there JP. Looks like the tank is coming along nice.

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":2oz2vgpo said:
Nice looking pieces there JP. Looks like the tank is coming along nice.
thanks, I've gotten some good growth, albeit oddly shaped...

A

Anonymous

one sps(light blue/green, almost white one just to the left of the pink/orange piece is dying off for some reason - I broke off a few branches in hopes of regenerating it...it started while we were on vacation dunno what the neighbor boys did or didnt do that could have caused it, other than a heat spike...

I'm planning on an upgrade to the lights- the original banks are just royal blues and cool whites(50/50) and I've had some burn out, plus I think theres a glitch in the reefangel programming as one bank dims out but still faintly stays lit(I think that has to do with the burn outs)

Still going with Rapidled - I'm gonna get their Aurora dual puck setup - its pretty much a DIY version of the Ecotech Radion, except I can seperate it into two heat sinks like Ecotech's nano radion- matter of fact it actually uses the same exact lenses...I'll prolly get their proprietary controller too to go with it...$473 after all is said and done - way less than going Ecotech's route

A

Anonymous

just set up my FOWLR - a standard 55 gallon tank, got Chinese knock off Marineland LED setup inside the canopy...HOB ReefOctopus skimmer and a knock off cannister filter.

Time to build my new lights

A

Anonymous

despite being sick, I finally managed to get my new reef lights wired up and installed - RapidLed's Dual Aurora Pucks, on separate heatsinks(actually complete enclosures with built in fans) and a new light controller - Coralux's StormX...

[rimg]https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11088561_10205300300341356_3013966602590253631_n.jpg?oh=36fcc8d25cbbe40197c20e6eb50e562e&oe=559DBD41[/rimg]

each puck has 21 Leds(all Cree) and is built like the Radions...In fact, I'd even go so far as to say these pucks are either made by RapidLed for Ecotech, or they're overstock parts sold off by Ecotech.
The Coralux is just a light controller - performs sunrise sunset and moon phase, each channel is able to be set manually(both start/stop and ramp up/down times) or you can simply enter the geographical coordinates of your choice, AND the time zone.optional temp probe allows for montioring fixture temps and can start/stop and ramp up/down the speed of the fan accordingly. Oh yeah, it also has the cloud cover and lightning storm options too. Total price:$484 including shipping

A

Anonymous

Looks nice JP. Take your time acclimating your tank to the new lights.

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":3mqy8odw said:
Looks nice JP. Take your time acclimating your tank to the new lights.
Thanks - the colors and uv I have set fairly low(sub 40%) - overall color looks to be in the ballpark of 15K

A

Anonymous

so far so good, I'm really liking these new lights, and the controller is beyond simple in its design and set up...

A

Anonymous

still battling that damned hair algae -no idea where all the nutrients are coming from, unless my wife is secretly feeding the 3 fish that are in there...okay after checking out your newest pics, I'm getting irritated- somethin just aint doin right in my tank- most is just status quo, a little encrusting here and there...hmmm, mayb e a full water change and some reworking of rock work is in order...

A

Anonymous

Do you have any tangs in the tank? My main tank is relatively algae free, but my frag tank is like a algae farm. They share a sump so no water chemistry differences. I have as many or more snails in the frag as my main plus hermit crabs but they can not keep up. I have a yellow tang and no hermit crabs in the main tank.

If you are getting any growth that is good. Some of my pieces grew really slow for many months then took off like rockets. Check out the progression shots (page 12 of my thread) and it is real obvious. Almost like they have to hit a critical mass or something before they feel comfortable growing. I noticed the same thing with the frags I made for secondary colonies. They grow real slow for a while, then explode.

No drastic measures. Make small changes.

A

Anonymous

yeah, I have a single yellow tang in there - he's constantly grazing, but never makes any kind of dent -Bernie's actually gotten freaked out over how such a small fish can possibly poop out such a HUGE turd...she's right, too - if I had to poop something that big I'd be walking funny for a week...

A

Anonymous

*sigh* FlatwormExit ordered....a bit late. I hadnt noticed any until I noticed a lack of polyps on a coral thats normally bushy...****

A

Anonymous

Wazzel":1kdjb2cb said:
What happened?
flat worms decimated pretty much everything - they were the clear kind - and now after dosing the tank 3 times and doing 3 20 gallon water changes, the hair algae is blooming out of control again...I have done 150+ gallons worth of water changes since this past November(3 bags of salt, plus a few 10 gallon boxes) and my hair problem has continued to persist.

Never liked my rock to begin with -despite ordering "Premium Fiji", it all looked like base rock out of someone's sump...its time, I'm sick of looking at a shitty tank - this time, no goddamned fish at all.

PM me on how much I owe you still for the frags you sent me...

oh and add to my misery, something ******* died in the ceiling in basement, and we cant find the body

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: