Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sump

The sump is an aprox 40 gallon acrylic tank made by "Clear For Life" that's been gutted with 2 chambers separated by baffles.

Attachments

• sump.JPG
    sump.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hope you meet your mark "The Greatest 120 Ever":bigeyes:, you have some awesome competition Craig. That cabinet is to die for though.
Can't wait to see the end product.:wink1:

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Filtersock Mount

The lip on the sump is just under 2 inches, and the drain pipe will be 1.5", so a regular filter sock mount isnt an option. Russ had an ingenious DIY sock mount that was perfect. Here's my version of it. Once the tank is setup I will extend the height on one side and mount the tubing from my ATO so that the water flows directly into the filtersock while still being high enough to prevent any backsiphon in the event of a blackout. I will also mount the tubes from my dosing pump on this extension. On the horizonal supports at the bottom I will attach a temp probe, ground probe, and ph probe.

Attachments

• sock1.JPG
    sock1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 248
  • sock2.JPG
    sock2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wow you guys move fast!! I was going to call you up to see when you and liz were going to move that monster. I can't believe its done already! Looking good can't wait to see more!

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Just a tip, keep that filter sock as close to the intake of the skimmer as possible. The proteins will float back to the surface very quickly after reaching the sump. The closer you can place the filter sock to the skimmer intake, the more proteins the skimmer will be able to remove.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Pump Stand

The sump is too wide to put the return pump directly next to it. Between the extremely large 2" union ballvalve and the long return pump a little ingenuity was required.

The pump will be lifted on a platform. Coming out of the sump bulkhead will be an elbow, followed by a union ballvalve. This should allow for a neat and uncramped setup.

The pump stand is made from 3/4" MDF and packed solid with shipping peanuts. My thanks go out to Alex for his abundent supply of powertools and patience. :smokin:

It'll be primed and then painted black.

Attachments

• pumpstand.JPG
    pumpstand.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I think pecan told me once that these pumps can't have 90 degree elbows on the intake. Well they can but it voids the warranty or something. I really don't remember the conversation other than:
90 degree elbow before intake = bad

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think pecan told me once that these pumps can't have 90 degree elbows on the intake. Well they can but it voids the warranty or something. I really don't remember the conversation other than:
90 degree elbow before intake = bad

This one took some investigating. Here's a shot of the new skimmer by Reeflo that uses a snapper pump:

4.jpg

While not completely ideal, some restrictions on the intake enable me to be able to use this great pump. It'll just consume a little extra power. I'm actually going to have two 90 degree elbows. One coming out of the sump bulkhead and then one going into the pump intake. There will be a union ballvalve inbtween the two elbows.

More pics coming soon.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: