Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Think I should install a checkvalve on the intake plumbing? I'm a bit worried about accidently running the pump dry since it's raised.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
If there's a blackout the pump won't completely empty out due to a check valve. When power is restored it'll be primed. No check valve and the pump will be dry when power is restored.

Am I overanalyzing this? Will it be fine without a check valve as long as there is water in the sump's return chamber?

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes as long as there is water in the sump the pump will retain it's prime.
with the power out more water will drain into the sump anyway. don't forget to take that into account. check valves suck imo.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I agree that check valves do suck. But Craig has a point. After a power outage the water will drain from the pump and it will lose its prime. I don't see how the pump can retain its prime as long as water flows from high to low and seeks its own level.

swimmer

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hmm, I thought it would be like the U I have going over my sump for my pumps intake. now that I look at it in the light of day I see what your saying.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Craig, the check valve is a much less than optimum solution, but it's one of the only ones that come to mind (short of putting an aqualifter type of pump inline with the return pump to reestablish prime).

Remember, a check valve will add additional head pressure to your return.

swimmer

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
looks like i'm going to have to rethink the return pump. I'll find a way to make it so the pump is sitting at the same height as the sump.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
How's this solution sound. I will push the sump as far back in the stand as it can go. The pump will go on the stand floor parallel to the sump. Will then use rigid pvc to do a 180 using two 90 degree elbows with a union ballvalve in the middle.

Attachments

• plumbing.GIF
    plumbing.GIF
    2.8 KB · Views: 217

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I think pecan told me once that these pumps can't have 90 degree elbows on the intake. Well they can but it voids the warranty or something. I really don't remember the conversation other than:
90 degree elbow before intake = bad

The 90 degree "elbow" @ the intake can and will most likely cause the pump to produce micro bubbles back into your display.
Investigated this for cali_reef by speaking to Sequence MDM.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have 2 90's in front of my snapper, but the return goes through 16' of spaflex, and a chiller, that might get rid of the bubbles if any.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Decided to pose the question to their support guys. Here's the final version thanks to their help.

I learned an important lesson...when measureing the clearance space for a return pump in a stand with an open back, you only need to measure for the space to mount the pump's feet...the backend of the pump can hang out of the back of the stand :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here's a topdown final design. Thanks for the input everyone. You all just saved me from a headache. Anyone need a pump stand?
:smash:

Attachments

• plumbing2.GIF
    plumbing2.GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 187

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Jim says I'm too anal with some details, so this post is dedicated to him.

I've labeled every single piece of equipment!

Attachments

• label1.JPG
    label1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 155

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Build Day

Thank you to everyone who made today possible.

Thanks to House of Ha Ha ad Master Swimmer of HOF for hours and hours of plumbing and wiring and carpentry. Thanks to Alex and Allen for the homedepot ventures that saved the day. Thanks to Mike for keeping the livestock from becoming deadstock. Thanks Jhale and Chong for the aquascaping.

And the biggest thanks of all to my other half Liz for being supportive in this massive undertaking, and for being the hostess with the mostest today.

The old tank was broken down. The new tank was moved into place and level. Jim then went to town on the plumbing while the swimming master became the eletrical wiring master. In the endit came out fantastic. It's significantly quieter than my former tank so the Mrs and I can now sleep peacefully.

We just got all of the livestock into the tank today. Tomorrow will be spent aquascapting some more, and tidying up the wiring. The ATO, reefkeeper 2, chiller, and 1st water change are lined up for tomorrow.

Attachments

• build1.jpg
    build1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 207
  • build2.JPG
    build2.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 209
  • buildfood.jpg
    buildfood.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 209
  • build3.JPG
    build3.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 208

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
more pics

more pics

Attachments

• buildfood.jpg
    buildfood.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 204
  • build3.JPG
    build3.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 204
  • build4.JPG
    build4.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 210
  • build5.JPG
    build5.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 202

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: