boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would second the suggestion to go with Miracles.

I would love to say Elos or AGE but the shipping would be cost prohibitive.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
which one of these four skimmers is better to you. and which one would perform better in your opinion,
A Deltec 902 or BK 300
Nick,

You told me you didn't like your BK when I was at your house and the pump died on you, you wanted to get another Euroreef, you said it was better and your reef look much better when you had one:D.

I had my BK for a few years now, I am pretty sure I have it tuned pretty well from day one. The BK is an over-hyped and over priced skimmer, we don't have many good needle wheel skimmer to choose from but the German imports are just way over-priced for the average hobbyist. Most people I see buy these hi-end equipment defend the price paid, and sell them quietly when they don't work as well as they had envisioned. Not too many people will admit the BK don't work that much better, at least not in the extra price you have to pay for one.

BTW, I have a BK300, a Deltec 701, a H&S A250, and a BM250. I think I have tried just about all the German needle wheel skimmer brands. BK is not the best performing one I've used.

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Cali I didnt like it on my 120 it was way too big couldnt produce skimate for me any more my tank was striped. When it was on my 180 it worked great it was almost 3 years old and the pump broke. finally after a few emails Scott at captive oceans fixed it. The needlewheel had dissconnected from the stem. And yes I was gonna go wit a euro reef a smaller one then what I had with the BK instead I went with the KZ S model and im very very happy with it ;)

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Deltec sucks until you get into the 1000 series. You couldn't get me to pay that much for an overpriced DAS skimmer. They are great for nano's :)

Kasei

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Dace... this thread is a c---tease without pics. I hate these "here is my imaginary tank" threads.
Anyway, rimless... Aquariums for You will not do rimless. At least that is what Chris told me. They disagree with the procedure. If you were to do it, I doubt they would honor any warrantee. I believe GC would do it, but having a rimless from them half full still scares me. Elos. They are the only ones who do it and do it well. I'll PM you another guy I might know about.
Those Orcas look good. No beckett by any means:shhh:, but my project went very well. I'm sure you remember the thread. I never followed through with the thread and the skimmer was sold, but I'll give you some pros and cons. Premium Aquatics carries them.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
calireef, have you tried the Orca needlewheel skimmers?

Nope, I am all skimmed out :lol2:.. Found a smaller Barr Aquatics single beckett for my next setup :D.

I did see and touched a few of them at the last MACNA, I don't think the size and craftsmanship will work for me, but I am a bit picky about my skimmers. The price on them sure have the German skimmers beat.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
OK, how about if it' not a rimless tank, would you go with any of the other companies or is it just miracles, the reason i ask is because not everyone can afford the prices of these top quality companies. I know that when you pay cheap prices you get what you pay for. But there has to be some company out there that can make a reasonably priced tank. i will tell rob that he would be taking a chance on the tank if he does not go with miracles for the rimless, but maybe i can persuade him into going with a regular rectangular tank and maybe he can try another company that might be a little less then miracles... I do have to say that if he can afford the Miracle tank he will go with it. but i know they are kind of pricey.
Oh and by the way Jhale, Rob said thanks for buying the chiller. He's the one this tank is being setup for, the Antonio Banderas looking dude that went to your house today

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
AO quoted me $200 more than Miracles did for my 36" cube.

What is the reason he wants rimless?

I would never go rimless, too much work to keep a rimless tank when compared to a tank that uses a canopy.

I know someone ordered a custom ELOS tank and only paid a third of the price for it :D.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Have him(and his wife) go there in the evening, look in from the sidewalk and ask them if they want their living lit up like that all the time. :lol2:.

Looks nice if you don't live there, try watching TV with that bright light and water noise in your living room.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I drive past Mshur's rimless with a hanging fixture every night on my way home from work. Yes, we live 3 blocks apart. There is no need for street lights in front of his house. The tank and fixture is dead sexy though.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey no problem on the chiller, I wish he had picked out more frags, it would have been one cheap chiller, lol.

I never noticed the bowing on the tanks at GA. If there was a problem though I know Jason would replace them immediately. I like the rimless look, it's sexy as Chris said. The light in a TV watching room would not be good I agree on that.

what about the elos 160xl ? it might be a good compromise, it's rimless, well made, and closer to a square than other tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: