Rating - 100%
90   0   0
The DI media wasn't working very well, my tap read 48 on the TDS and the DI unit was spitting out water at 40. This was the same media used at the last swap so it was spent. Either way, I need to do a bunch of water changes anyhow, so I'm not sure the DI is needed during the first cycle. Also, I've been running Phosban and carbon since day 2.

Still waiting on a new RODI unit with integrated TDS meter.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
We had an RO unit set up making water before and during our install time.

Oh okay, nice... I have had some spur of the moment clients that require me to bring alot of water in buckets and I hated it but they paid for it, so no complaints here:biggrin:.. I am really contemplating dropping my Di unit because I know it's spent with no difference in tank, fish, or corals... Bad that is..

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
How soon can we add corals to the new tank? I am also setting up a new tank this week end. Can i add corals next week end?

No, let me explain the situation.

I used Marco Rock, which is not alive. That means there is not a ton of stuff to die off and put ammonia and nitrites/nitrates into the tank. I did get a few days of rotten egg smell as stuff washed off the rock. It was good because I knew the cycle was starting.

Since I don't have any live rock, I needed to add some to seed the tank.

Several people gave me frags along with the rock to test out the water. I would never buy a new coral and put it in the tank during this period. These were all zoanthids and 2 LPS which can tolerate pretty harsh water conditions. I would not try this with any SPS, someone offered a very nice piece but I had to turn it down. These frags were basically sacrificial lambs, and if you don't have access to cheap or free frags I wouldn't do it.

Thus far, everything lived so I think we are almost in business. Got a few big water changes planned as well.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
No, let me explain the situation.

I used Marco Rock, which is not alive. That means there is not a ton of stuff to die off and put ammonia and nitrites/nitrates into the tank. I did get a few days of rotten egg smell as stuff washed off the rock. It was good because I knew the cycle was starting.

Since I don't have any live rock, I needed to add some to seed the tank.

Several people gave me frags along with the rock to test out the water. I would never buy a new coral and put it in the tank during this period. These were all zoanthids and 2 LPS which can tolerate pretty harsh water conditions. I would not try this with any SPS, someone offered a very nice piece but I had to turn it down. These frags were basically sacrificial lambs, and if you don't have access to cheap or free frags I wouldn't do it.

Thus far, everything lived so I think we are almost in business. Got a few big water changes planned as well.
and that would be?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Were the heck was I when this happened?

CONGRATULATIONS
Way to go Josh! I love that rock! Your making me want to get rid of my live rock to be replaced by Marco rock.

Like the others have said, how about some updates! How are you liking the skimmer?​

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: