Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The fish are doing better than ever and they are all smiling even though I almost kiled them with too much ozone. I fixed my old ozonizer but I didn't install it yet because we have the Grand Kids here and I won't have a minute to spare. I am surprised the copperband rercovered but he is back to his old self. He was breathing from the surface or laying on his side. But he is fine, all recovered. That is because I keep my fish in such good shape.

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I'm going threw the process now got prices from 2 companies waiting one one more. Got a friend just got them his house faces east west they put his on his side roof. Witch way does ur roof face? Paul told me buying is the way to go and his is right don't use one of those companies that's becomes ur new power bill. If u want to know more PM me

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today I am rebuilding a new algae scrubber that will be vertical which will feed the reverse UG filter. That is the plan anyway. I will not remove the horizontal algae trough because that also acts as a refugium and it loaded with amphipods that I collect in the summer. It is completed except I didn't yet build the LED light that will light the thing. I have to custom build it because I need a certain size and it has to be an inch thick, no more. All of this needs to go next to the LED DIY fixture that moves up and down for maintenance and I am running out of room for all these things. My surface skimmer is also removed for re design so I have a film on the top of the water. But I like doing these things as it is all part of my hobby so I don't consider it work.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I finished the experimental algae scrubber and installed it. The window screen on the bottom is temporary just to make sure there are no splashes. Remember, I have no sump so this is over the tank. This contraption also feeds my reverse UG filter which you can see in the clear plastic "manifold" in the back where the lower screen PVC tube tubing enters. I didn't want to have a separate pump just for this experiment. I don't have the light yet so this one is just temporary. It needs some time to build up a film on the screen so the water flows evenly down and doesn't run in small rivers. I normally coat the screen with cement as algae grows much faster on that, but I didn't have time. I may take it apart and do it tomorrow.

ReefDiver

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Line from Paul's book

". Local temperate animals can sometimes be added to your tank, but they will usually get large and eat everything including your cat..."

I'm still laughing. Reminds me of the time I put a crayfish in an old tank for my daughter's science project. Vicious killing machine.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
When I was a kid I had a large crayfish. It got out and my Mother saw it "running" across the floor. She thought it was a mouse and squashed it with a broom. I asked her if she ever saw such a slow moving mouse? She said she didn't and she also said she never heard a mouse crunch while it was squashed.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today I went to an Orthopedic surgeon for a knee pain. I already had 4 or 5 knee surgeries and 3 or 4 shoulder surgeries, but if you worked construction for 40 years and didn't wear out your joints, you were doing it wrong, weren't working hard enough or you are a Sissy or Girly Man. Joint surgeries are the result of hard work.
But that doesn't matter. I love going to this guy for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he has a Supermodel assistant. And this time he also had a Supermodel X Ray technician. Those are of course important considerations when you are considering surgery. But also both the Dr. (who is one of the Dr's for the NY Jets) and the Supermodel Assistant, like fish and want to start a salt water tank. I coincidently brought my new book with me to show off a little. He has been talking about starting a salt water tank from 7 or 8 surgeries ago. But he had freshwater fish and keeps killing them and the Supermodel Assistant keeps killing Betta's, and to kill a Betta you need to lay it in the street and have a school bus run over it, twice as those things will live in damp sawdust.
So now it is the regular spiel, MRIs and all that and he will operate to fix a torn meniscus. I feel like I am a torn meniscus magnet as my meniscuses must be made out of tissue paper. I would like them to replace the entire knee. I wouldn't have to go for an expensive titanium model and would settle for a pressure treated one from Home Depot but most of my knees are not torn up enough to replace them. I am sure I could get a hair replacement but that probably costs even more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: