FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
How is the algae scrubber going Paul, was it worth the install?

Ya know there was one seller of SPS & Zoas on here in Flushing, Queens that had a massive fuge growing chaeto & he vowed by it. It allowed him to keep all those SPS's & such beautifully encrusted rocks in relatively pristine condition.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It is growing algae even as we speak. There is a thin coating of algae on the mortar infused screen. I am happy with the results so far.
My tank is very under lit for most SPS which is one reason it is mostly LPS. The other reason is that I just like LPS better because I like the movement and am more interested in keeping the fish immune and spawning as I am on a fish health kick now for some reason

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My good friend (Hi Andy) gave me this 330 watt LED light because most of it didn't work. I fixed it but they really don't want you to fix these things. First of all there are over 325 tiny screws holding the LED board to the heat sink. Those alone is a real pain to remove. Then you pry the thing apart and tear the wires. I found an open in one of the LEDs and replaced it. Unfortunately I can't use this fixture the shape it is because my tank is long
(6') and skinny. I will see if I can re build it into a 5' long 4" wide fixture. I can use it as a spare or just change my existing light as it is way underpowered.

Here it is with a third of the LEDs lit.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This morning we got a call from our Daughter that our Grand Daughter had to be rushed to the hospital because she couldn't breathe. After a few grueling hours I hear that she is OK now. But we still have to find out what the cause is so it doesn't happen again. She was there last week for an endoscopy because she seems to have some sort of allergy or auto immune disease. We don't know yet. Greta is 3 and we are very worried about her.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My reef is starting to grow a little algae. Not much, just on places where I glued things and a few other places. That is fine and I like it. It is a cycle and this "no algae" cycle has lasted for years. Usually I see some every couple of years. I want it to grow now because I need my new algae scrubber to grow some more algae. Right now it is just green but not enough to clean off yet. I also re designed the top of it because I was getting some dripping.
I am designing a new LED light fixture. It will be water cooled instead of air cooled like virtually every other one is. I am building it on a copper pipe frame and it will have fresh water going through it, then to a radiator to eliminate the heat. Do I need a water cooled light fixture? Of course not. But it is very cool. It will be very light, simple, cheap and easy to repair. It may also be good looking, and I like good looking. (I didn't mention Supermodels) Tomorrow If I have time I will buy the copper pipe for this project. I think I have everything else I need except for the pump. I need a small water pump that I can plumb into the system but I can't use a powerhead because this will be a closed system. I also need to build a thermal switch to shut off the system if the pump fails and heats up the pipe. I am also designing into it more LEDs that will be at a 90 degree angle from the rest of them to illuminate my algae scrubber. I will take some pictures when I do this. I am sure that by next year, all LED lighting systems will be water cooled. OK, Maybe not.

cono

Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Hey Paul need your expertise what do you think this can be uploadfromtaptalk1447800873993.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447800888384.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had to order the thermal adhesive on line because Radio Shack now only sells I Phone cases and little else. So while I am waiting I am making copper disks out of flattened copper pipe and soldering them on to the tubing to give a flat surface for the LEDs.
I used to have a bunch of sheet copper but I can't find it so instead of driving for five minutes to get some, I am using copper pipe and stamping out copper disks with a Whitney Punch. It only takes a few minutes to make 10 of them.

Here are a couple soldered on with an LED laying on it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: