Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (90%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Hi' Paul you sure did teach me some things in your story i have been sit back by all that was said what touch me was the story of your mother, and that you do 20% water change ever 5 years i am like wow!!! i tell you this is one thing i will keep with me in years to come i am tell you the people on this site should take there hats off 38 years
I would like to ask you if i could give any reef story your story i think this would be a great teaching tool for reefer , here a ? i have what kind of skimmer was use if any
ones again paul thanks for telling a story that i will keep with me in years to come
god bless.

Robert

Last edited by robert0419; 06-21-2008 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: speeling
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Robert you could give that story to anyone you like.
Here is the original thread when the tank was 36. There is a link to an article in there about the history of the tank from the seventees which was posted on line on Reef Central and one of the magazines (I forgot which one)
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...-old-reef.html
My skimmer is home made, it is about 5' tall and is a venturi model. I made it many years ago and it has been working with no problems or maintenance besides cleaning the reaction tube at the top.
In this picture the top plastic is removed. The bucket under the skimmer is there to collect the skimate. There is also a float switch in the bucket that will shut the skimmer pumps off if it fills or if anything on the skimmer leaks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Copy of skimmer.jpg (48.7 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by Paul B; 06-21-2008 at 06:51 AM..
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Send a Private Message
So far my smaller gobi experiment seems to be going well.
Of course I have way too many fish but they are small and although I don't test for anything I can tell the nitrates are zero. If I have time I will bring a sample of my water to a LFS to check it just for documentation purposes. My kits are older than many people here and are useless.
I think I have 25 fish in the tank which is as close as I can count.
Except for a hippo tang, bangai cardinal, engineer gobi, a butterfly that I collected locally in NY, 2 fire clowns and a blue stripped pipefish the rest are gobies or bleenies. Some are spawning and some are fighting or at least not tolleration each other on the same side of the tank. That is normal and happens with all spawning fish in breeding condition.
I feed the tank every day with live baby brine which is the only way to keep these small fish especially the 4 small clown gobies and the blue stripped pipefish.
I am very happy with the way the tank has evolved. I am a little concerned that there is no algae growing anywhere but the tank does have a thin covering of a reddish type of algae, no it's not cyano although there is a little of that in the shadows as there always was. There is an old red scooter bleeny that seemed fat so a few months ago I added a mandarin. They seem fine.
When I add a fish like a clown gobi they exhibit ich for a few days then it goes away and the fish seems immune for the rest of it's life. The locally collected butterfly also did that but he has been there for a few months and is clean also.
I did change some water last week or so and since I have to go to my boat again to store it for the winter I will collect some water along with some growth from the dock for the added fauna and bacteria. Some local mud snails I added at the start of the summer are still living which I am surprised about.
There are about 10 or 15 hermit crabs in there some are I think almost 10 years old. I bought them, they are not local although I have some local ones in another tank

Last edited by Paul B; 10-17-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (140)
Send a Private Message
Thank you for sharing Paul! Seems you have been blessed very nicely!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Fascinating tale...read your old thread and your article. All very interesting stuff. It took me a lot longer to get into salt water but like many others the story is the same. SW was just not available where I lived, certainly people could not have afforded it in any case or wouldn't have supported it. Thanks for sharing glad I caught the new thread.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (67%)
Send a Private Message
What was the longest life span of any fish you had?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
What was the longest life span of any fish you had?
No, I had a brutlyd eel or cusk eel for 18 years, a puffer for 12 years, percula for 12 years, moorish Idol for 5 years blue devils for 7
The cusk eel died in an accident as did the moorish Idol. I presently have a fire clown for over 13 years.
Paul
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM
PERMANOOB
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (39)
Send a Private Message
Paul
You are an insparation to us all!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (67%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
No, I had a brutlyd eel or cusk eel for 18 years, a puffer for 12 years, percula for 12 years, moorish Idol for 5 years blue devils for 7
The cusk eel died in an accident as did the moorish Idol. I presently have a fire clown for over 13 years.
Paul
Amazing!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Send a Private Message
Googz, most fish will live almost forever but in our little tanks we, or me anyway, usually have some type of accident every ten years or so unfortunately killing some of these older residents. I really felt bad about that cusk eel. not because it was so beautiful, I only seen it at night with a flashlight as it hid all the time and I never even fed it. The moorish Idol was another one I wish had lived. He was on his way to a moorish Idol record having lived through two eye operations for pop eye and a bout with ich. I also lost at that time an old mandarin and copperband butterfly.
I rarely find a dead fish but if I do it usually means I made a mistake somewhere.
I am getting better and maybe I can get the accidents from 10 years to 15

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM