Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
We Went to thew library here yesterday and they have a shelf for Long Island Authors. There were very few books there so I told the girl working there that I live on Long Island and I wrote a book. She got all excited and ran to get the head Librarian. They want my book there as I am sure they would want any Long Island writers book. While I was looking at the Long Island authors I was surprised to see this book there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250024951/?tag=reefs04-20

I didn't know the author "Philip Keith " was from Long Island. But I was in that battle that the book is about so they again got all excited because Philip Keith is coming to speak there in November and they want me to speak about the battle. I am all excited. I have spoken about this before in front of various groups and on the radio, but this time it will be with the author of the book who by the way, was not in the battle.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yesterday we did another Geezer thing. We took the Jitney about 3 hours upstate to a Purple Heart Museum. It was very cool and I didn't know some of the things about purple hearts. The Govt. minted a million of the medals during WW2 because that is how many men they figured we would lose if we invaded japan. Luckily, we didn't have to but they have a lot of medals left.
We are enrolling my wife's Father who was wounded in the Pacific in that war. He spent a year in the Hospital in Hawaii and received a Purple Heart.

Then they took us to a very nice seafood restaurant on the Hudson and treated us to a 2 hour boat ride on the Hudson. Very nice, and they had a bar.

My fish are all doing well and I will change some water if I ever get time as it has been 3 months. :D

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So I went to the bone guy and the nurse took the information and all the nonsense. I asked her if she thought this Dr. was the best guy for this job and she said he is replacing her hip on Tuesday. I figured he was OK.
So the Dr. comes in and twists my leg. After him and my wife pried me off of the ceiling he told me I needed a new knee. I said, I know, thats why I am here.
He then told me it is very painful and will take 6 months to heal. I know and who cares, just replace the thing. It isn't getting any better.
He then gave me a gift certificate to Home Depot to pick out the type of wood I want it to be made out of.

After he told me all about sawing the bone, cutting, chopping, screwing and all that Doctor stuff, the nurse comes back in to ask me what is my preferred type of alcoholic drink. (no Really!!) I told her Grand Marnier. I figured if the Doc was buying I am not going to say the cheap stuff.
I assumed this surgery was going to be a party so I am all in. I was never asked that before a surgery and now I can't wait.

I will have this done in Stony Brook Hospital which is supposed to be a good hospital with great candy machines.
I doubt I will be able to decorate for Christmas or put up a tree but we will see. My Birthday is also Christmas day which is cool because my wife will have to cater to me . :rolleyes:
I also won't be able to play Santa this year. Maybe Santa will show up for me. :D

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So today I went to a hand doctor. I had a few hand surgeries and being that I wave to all the Pretty girls, I wore out my hands. (The girls just look at me and say, "What are you looking at, you Geezer)
But anyway, the hand doctor looked at my hands and I told her a few stories until she sent me for a X Ray. The XRay girl told me to put my hands on the machine while she went into the other room to take the picture. I am waiting and she finally takes the picture. Then I hear this big scream from her. I figured she saw something so horrible on my XRay that they were going to have to amputate my hands and replace them with pruning shears like Edward Scizzorhands. I yelled "WHATS WRONG". She says, "THERE IS A SPIDER ON THE SCREEN". "CAN YOU COME AND KILL IT?". So much for not being a Girly Girl. So O killed the spider and said to her, why don't we put it on my hand while she takes the XRay to see what the Dr. says. She didn't think that was a good idea.

So the Doctor girl, who was younger than my Daughter asked me if I wanted a cortozone shot. I said, I don't know, will that help. She said she didn't know, but it can't hurt. I thought the Doctor was supposed to tel me what I needed but maybe this is the new medicine. So she sprays my wrist with this stuff that reads "Pain Ease". Now you know that isn't going to work. So she sticks this spike into my wrist, then takes it out and sticks it into a different place and says this may hurt. Like Duh.
She says, your hand may feel cold. I said, wait a minute, I can't hear you because I am scraping the ice off of my fingers.

So I said, whats wrong with my hand. She didn't know but said come back in 5 weeks and we will give you an MRI.
So in other words I wasted my entire morning.

From there I figured I would go to the Veterans Administration which was 15 miles away. In the Home Depot here now they only give Veterans discounts if you have a service connected injury or disability which I have but I never got it on my card. But now I do so I can get my Veterans discount there. I am spending thousands there a month because of all the building I am doing so what the heck. :D

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My mandarin has a new hobby. When I feed the tank, he comes out and grabs a big piece of clam and goes into a cave to take his time trying to eat it. He has been doing this for a couple of weeks and I have never seen a mandarin doing that at every meal. Of course he hunts the rest of the day.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So my tank has been in the new location for about 3 months now and so far no diseases or losses. I do have a tiny ozone generator which is to small to do anything but I put it on just for fun. It only puts out 50 mg/hr of ozone, my old one put out 200 mg/hr so this one won't even give my pods a tan much less kill any parasites. I know many people feel it is ozone that keeps my tank immune, but that is just silly. It is the food with the live bacteria in it, and the fact that I add fish without any quarantine at all from anywhere with no regard to parasites. That is what keeps my tank immune.

The amount of fish diseases on these forums is mind boggling and If I had to worry about all those diseases I would have packed this hobby up years ago and dumped it in the same place I throw out my Oldsmobile parts.

Virtually all fish in the sea have all the diseases that there are. It's our job to get the fish healthy asap so the fishes fantastic immune system can take care of it. Fish in the sea probably never get sick unless they have been injured or had their head removed by a bigger fish.
Fish diseases for me and other "older" people is a non issue and never thought about. As I have said 87 times, fish need parasites to stay healthy, as a matter of fact, parasites need fish for the same reason and there are viruses that need parasites to stay relevant. It's all normal and they all work together as they have since Nancy Pelosi was born.

If our fish gets sick, it is our fault, no one else.
Fish also need hiding places and they hate PVC pipes. If you feel you have to quarantine, please use some rock or something that looks like it was under the sea like something from Jimmy Hoffa's shoe.

But if you do quarantine for an extended amount of time, your fish will always be at risk of some sort of disease. I didn't make that up, the fish did.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It seems that I cured my wife of the night time pains from MS. I got this from Montel Williams who also has MS. I use a juicer to juice mostly fresh beets, about 5 large ones and to that I add berries, ginger (about a 5" piece) and tart apple juice. Sometimes I add plums, carrots, or other vegetables.

She drinks about 4 OZ a day over three doses. So far it has been about 3 weeks and no more night time pains as these things are anti inflammatory s.
Now if I can cure all her other MS issues, that would be great.

Prizapro and fresh water dips don't seem to work. I tried

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here is a little photo story of the life of a pair of my gobies.

Here was my watchman gobi as a baby

I paired her up as a baby and here they are as adolescents a few years old.

Here they are as an old, out of shape married couple.

Here she is with one of her many broods of eggs.

And in a nursing home near the end of her life about 12 years later.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My very cool vacuum enhancing invention. All the dirt goes into the five gallon bucket and just about nothing goes to the filter on the vacuum itself. You just spin off the lid on the bucket and it lifts right up so you can dump it out.
I use it on my radial arm saw to collect sawdust. I just emptied it and there wasn't even a teaspoon of dust in the bottom vacuum part.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is anyone alive on this forum? All I see is selling this, selling that or buying this or buying that. Andy I know you are here but your awfully quiet. Does everyone have the flu or ich? It's like Home Depot.
HELLO!

It's like an echo in here. Andy that stuff you gave me is awesome, and very cool.

Yesterday I ground down my concrete garage floor to get ready for the Epoxy.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Paronaram I never tried to hatch those gobies. Or my pipefish fry or the Bangai fry, the firefish, mandarins clown gobies or anything else in there. I don't have the time. In another lifetime I used to raise fish, but no more.

Everything in my garage is on dollies because I have to move it out to Epoxy the floor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: