Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today I went to my first orientation at the Long Island Aquarium. I will volunteer there for the winter and you have to go to a 6 hour class to make sure you know how to talk to people and not be a Perv.

The first part was the touch tank where they explained to us what a hermit crab, starfish and clam are.
It was exciting and I was on the edge of my seat. (even though I was standing up) Then we went through the bird and butterfly exhibit and to the ray feeding tank. After that we were in a classroom for a talk. We were paired up with someone we didn't know and after five minutes we had to tell all we knew about the other person. I was paired up with an older gentleman, even older than me. He was a Korean War Veteran. So I asked him his name, then he got a phone call that he went outside to answer. He came back five minutes later where the instructor said. "OK Time is up"..

So I had to make up stuff about him .

Next week we go to the back scenes of the place which is what I am interested in. I have been back there before but not as a volunteer.
This place rescues seals, turtles, dolphins, whales and I assume Supermodels. They will rescue anything and they take it back to the aquarium where they have facilities to treat these animals. They are responsible for all of New York State.

I am kind of excited to "work" there as a Volunteer because I like to talk and speak to people. But I will talk to penguins or even wood.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today I will run my diatom filter on the tank while I work on other projects. Some algae came back in the tank and my algae scrubber has an algae growth an inch thick. That is probably because for a month or two I didn't rinse the frozen food, but I will start doing that again. I wanted to grow the sponges and other microfauna which I think I accomplished. Now I want to clean it up again. I also have not changed any water since I moved here and with the gravel and all the stuff I brought here from my other house I am sure a lot of stuff rotted in there and turned into algae.

It's all good and natural and everything is growing and looks extremely healthy. The pipefish are full of eggs and the fireclowns constantly spawn.
I don't have any other paired fish now so that's all the spawning I have. I want some more interesting, small fish but have not found any yet.
All the corals look better than they ever did.

Next week, weather permitting I will collect some water. I like to change some water about 5 times a year and it's due.

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Today I will run my diatom filter on the tank while I work on other projects. Some algae came back in the tank and my algae scrubber has an algae growth an inch thick. That is probably because for a month or two I didn't rinse the frozen food, but I will start doing that again. I wanted to grow the sponges and other microfauna which I think I accomplished. Now I want to clean it up again. I also have not changed any water since I moved here and with the gravel and all the stuff I brought here from my other house I am sure a lot of stuff rotted in there and turned into algae.

It's all good and natural and everything is growing and looks extremely healthy. The pipefish are full of eggs and the fireclowns constantly spawn.
I don't have any other paired fish now so that's all the spawning I have. I want some more interesting, small fish but have not found any yet.
All the corals look better than they ever did.

Next week, weather permitting I will collect some water. I like to change some water about 5 times a year and it's due.

Hi Paul, you reminded me of a great idea I have not thought of in some time but it definitely worked for me in the past. Like you I?m guilty of not rinsing the food for sometime and I?ve been dealing with some cyano issues. Can you provide a little more detail on your diatom filter process. For how long do you run it a day or is it 24/7 for a few days. Do your sps, get annoyed with cleaning out the too much of good bacteria / trace elements. Just a few things I want to consider before I run this project myself. Thanks for all the wisdom Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thatguy96, Hello. I normally rinse the food but for a while I didn't because i wanted to feed the many new pulsing Zinia and other stuff I have, but I guess I over did it.
The algae is dying and almost gone again

I just cleaned the back glass of algae and am sucking it out with the diatom filter. I will run it overnight but I have a new rebuilt model. My old original ones I would not leave overnight because they got too hot. This one is no problem.

Every hour or so I stir up more of the gravel and behind the rocks so the filter can suck it out. It will have little to no effect on the bacteria which are mostly in the rocks. The filter will also not remove anything dissolved like trace elements. It will remove any pods that go through it but they also are mainly in the rocks and gravel. A diatom cleaning every once in a while will not hurt anything and it will make your water disappear.

My SPS seem to love the suspended organics as they open up for the food it provides.

Good luck
Paul

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Thatguy96, Hello. I normally rinse the food but for a while I didn't because i wanted to feed the many new pulsing Zinia and other stuff I have, but I guess I over did it.
The algae is dying and almost gone again

I just cleaned the back glass of algae and am sucking it out with the diatom filter. I will run it overnight but I have a new rebuilt model. My old original ones I would not leave overnight because they got too hot. This one is no problem.

Every hour or so I stir up more of the gravel and behind the rocks so the filter can suck it out. It will have little to no effect on the bacteria which are mostly in the rocks. The filter will also not remove anything dissolved like trace elements. It will remove any pods that go through it but they also are mainly in the rocks and gravel. A diatom cleaning every once in a while will not hurt anything and it will make your water disappear.

My SPS seem to love the suspended organics as they open up for the food it provides.

Good luck
Paul

Thank you Paul. I will run this very soon.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I put my boat away yesterday which mad me a little sad but it is getting cold and windy here. My marina didn't have room so I drove it to another marina a few miles away. The water was very calm but it did rain a little. I winterized it and won't see it until the spring. I looked for but didn't see any frost bitten turtles on the way and I was the only boat out.

Today I will go to the tax department to file my new exemption for my new house. They give you an exemption if you are a Veteran and a bigger exemption if you served in a combat zone and a bigger exemption if you were in combat and another exemption if you have a combat related symptom or injury. If I get another exemption, they will owe me money.

Actually all the exemptions come out to like 10 or 15% of your taxes and here on Long Island we pay some of the highest taxes in the country. I think it's because of the excellent amphipods we can collect here. (The deduction comes out to about one dollar and eighty five cents. )

After fifty years the Veterans Administration tells me I have PTSD and a disability. (also hearing loss and tinnitus and probably Fishitis)
I don't know about the PTSD because I feel I am fine. I do run around in circles eating flies and I occasionally recite paragraphs from "Horton Hears a Who" in Arabic but only on Tuesdays, besides that, I am great.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just took a video. The mandarin is only in the beginning for a few seconds and you can't see the bluestripe pipefish as they are giving birth and stay hidden when they do that. You also can't see the possum wrasse and two Gecko gobies that never come out. But they are there as well as a huge urchin, decorator crab, anemone crab and numerous other crabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZnkvpzUnI&feature=youtu.be

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So I was looking in my tank and noticed all these tiny red things in the back at the bottom in the dark. I figured they were the fry of something and got a little excited. Then I remembered I only have a few paired fish and except for the fireclowns, none of them are red and clown fry don't lay around on the gravel waiting for the Good Humor man to come around, they kind of swim around trying to get eaten like most fry do.

I got my reading glasses and saw they were flatworms. Thousands of them just laying around thinking of what to do next.

I kind of like flatworms and think they are kind of cool. I also like their lifestyle just hanging out, checking things out and shooting the breeze.

In a few weeks they will be bored and disappear but if I was a Noob or if I was thinking inside the box or on LSD, Rogain or Rolaids, I would throw "Flatworm Exit" in there maybe with some Tree Stump Remover and insecticide to rush their exit.

I think of them as free invertebrates who can stay as long as they like as long as they don't cause havoc or start removing the paint on my Man Cave walls.
I put them under my microscope and they are certainly cool. I will ty to take a picture, but I am not sure I can get them to pose.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If I had the time and ambition I would go and check out my tank now in the dark because it looked like my bluestripe pipefish should have given birth last night as he was really pregnant. They spawn all the time but I never caught sight of the fry which are born alive and must be about as big as
this --------> ' <--------

(an old picture and not from this pregnancy)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: