Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I feel bad but I don't have much time for the tank lately. The glass needs cleaning and I really need to go out ang buy some good food for them.

My Mom is dying, she is old and your body runs out of steam after almost a century.
She comes from a time that we all just read about, a time before cars and even electricity. In 1910 when she was born downtown in Little Italy on Elizabeth Street (NYC) the street lights were lit with gas. When the lights in your house would dim, you had to run downstairs and put a nickel in the gas meter. In the morning someone would have to put some coal in the furnace so the pipes would not freeze.
Although, she was born here, she learned English in school. Everyone in Little italy only spoke Italian and across Canal Street was China Town where every one only spoke Chinese.
As a little girl, when she got sick, her Mother would make her sleep in a stable with the horses, they thought the smell of horse c--p would cure her. I guess it worked.
My Dad, who died fifty years ago would peddle fish from a bushel on his back. Every morning he would walk to the fulton Fish Market in lower Manhattan to get the fish
then walk back across the Manhattan Bridge to sell the fish in Brooklyn.
Those people were much different than my generation and my daughters generation.
People are very soft now, we can't take much hard work, or pain. Little things bother us because most of us have it much easier that that older generation.
They had no sick days, compensation, insurance, vacations, fish tanks or anything else.
I don't think my Father ever left New York in his life.
Even when My Mother was in her seventies, you had better not try to steal her subway seat, or you may walk away with a bloody nose. She was a very tough little Sicilian and afraid of nothing.
Anyway, this was my little rememberance of my Mother. She stopped eating a few days ago and I think she will be in Hospice in a day or so.
This happened 4 years ago and she survived, this time I pray she does not. She has no mind left at all and it is time for her to go and be with my Dad.
Sorry for the depressing post. :(
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Paul, I am at a loss for words!;( I don't know that any one knows how you are feeling, but please know that my prayers are with you, your family, and your mom!!

You are so right, we are a soft generation. And as time goes by the softer we become.
Keep your spirit up my friend all will be well! And by all means please let me know if there is anything I can do to help..........:hug:

Last edited:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thoughts and prayers, God bless your family and your mother. May god himself keep an eye over your mother. Stay strong and try and keep your chin up.
Also, you are so correct. Parents like yours and mine are a lot stronger then parents today.
They knew what had to be done to take care of their family and what a hard days work really meant. They also knew a loving hand and touch was better then a video game. They also knew with love came discipline, and my mom was not afraid to discipline me, but she did it with love.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is my new and improved blackworm keeper.
It holds many more times the volume of water and is operated with a tiny powerhead.
Wormkeeper004.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: