Bio Filtration: 90 lbs of live rock
Lighting: Aquactinics 2x175w mh (contemplating reeflux 10k or 12k)+ 2x54w T5's
Salt mix: Coralife

I still have a bit of work to do.....

(1) Replace plywood on stand
(2) Buy 1/2" foam insulation at Lowes
(3) Sheetrock/cover area above tank
(4) Re-size opening for new tank height
(5) Hang the lights-Thinking of using drawer glides to move it back and forth (Thanks to octaviousmonk-aka Randy for this idea)
(6) Drill tank-----reserved for Tim's Aquatics.....
(7) Buy some vinyl for the background
(8) replace cracked ceramic shaft in eheim 1250 pump
(9) Plumb it
(10) Think about running a fuge----and/or phosban reactor
(11) Get some egg-crate aka light diffusers
(12) Wire up the ballasts
(13) Maybe have an electrician wire up one more 20A dedicated circuit. I already have one but maybe another one is in order

Then I'm ready to fill it up.....

As far as fish I'm thinking of the following:

(1) Yellow tail damsel
(1) Bengai cardinal
(2) false percula clowns
(1) Yellow Tang

That's it for now......

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks....I thought about not going rimless since it's an inwall tank but I like rimless tanks as well. I thought glass cages did a decent job.....on this tank. Not the best silicone job but who is going to notice when it's full.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks

Chazertis: I love your shallow reef tank! I was really thinking about the stock 16 high they had...

Dave: I just want to keep it simple for now...The Mrs. may want to move soon to another town...better school district.....hopefully that doesn't happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Looking for some input on keeping the tank inwall versus building a stand in front of the wall I have it in.....since I want to feature the rimless part of the setup.

Or perhaps I can keep it in the wall and leave it open as is so that I can also access the tank from the front.....

Ideas or suggestions welcome........

Thanks.

E

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
yeah kinda doesnt serve a purpose for a rimless tank to be inwall, build it as a piece of furniture sticking out nd the canopy can be built to ttach to the wall behind it, but then again it is rimless

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
It's been a while since I have updated this thread........I've decided to keep it in the wall.........

Here are some pics.....Still a bit of work to do....

Had to close the opening...Waiting for joint compound to dry so I can sand, prime and paint...

IMG_0870.jpg

Behind the tank shot....I built a shelf for the aquactinics fixture....Still debating on whether I want to use the hanging kit....Right now I have it 6" above the water....Only downside is that it is not adjustable height wise. Also there isn't much clearance 3" from the wall and about 1/4 of the fan is against the stud...

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Decided to use foam board for the background...

IMG_0866.jpg

Need help in deciding which powerheads I should purchase.....With only 3" of clearance on one side I'm hesitant to purchase the vortech mp40w.....Instead I was thinking of two tunze nano 6055's or maybe two of the newer controllable nano 6125's instead.....

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ernie, tank looks great man! I just remembered you sent me a vm the other day and I completely forgot to respond. How are things with the ATB? I never experienced that problem with the shaft, but honestly I didnt like the 1250. It seemed underpowered and was very finicky, so I did get the 1260 pinwheel and like it a lot more. it is much more consistent, recovers faster from food/hand in the tank, and seems to fit the size of the body a bit better. Anyway, nice progress, keep us up to date.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: