jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
stingnyc's stand

we started this on saturday. the frame is going to be painted, and then covered with solid poplar and birch plywood. Steve is going to stain the out side "coffeebean" and the whole thing will get a few coats of polyurethane.
there are also going to be cabinets on the sides. they will come to the height of the bottom of the tank. the chiller and reservoir will go in each one.
the hood will be attached to the 2x4's you see above the stand. it will flip up on hinges and will stay open using hydraulic shocks. there is room in the back for wires to run down. the stand is 40" high. there will be two pocket doors that open wide.
sorry for the photos all we had was my phone camera, Steve will get better photos later on. A big thanks to spykes for dealing with a hot day and a ton of sawdust. he was a great help :)
more info and pics to come...

0730051834a1fv.jpg

07300518340bq.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I also did not mention that Steve has offered a generous selection of his finest frags, and a sizable cash "donation" :sgrin:
that and his being such a nice guy allowed me to clear some room in my work schedule for him, which is not easy. :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the sides of the stand are going to be covered in birch ply panels, the front is getting a poplar face frame, the doors will be set into that frame.

the bulletin board is going to be the tanks background. steve is going for a new theme with this tank. "Ikea", instead of rock he will be using strange shaped miscellaneous household items to glue his frags to. the lighting will be 12 250 mh se bulbs set into an S curve with different colored glass covers on each one to represent each spectrum of the suns color.

J

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread.... i just woke up and really tired form this weekend.

thanks guys for helping me build the stand. i will try to stay away from the ikea theme, especially since i will have this beatiful center piece in the living room. i will post pics after i paint the stand.

-steve

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
stingnyc said:
sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread.... i just woke up and really tired form this weekend.

did you sleep at all this past weekend?

Jose they are 2 2x4's laminated together, so yes they are 4x4's.
the bottom is a piece of 3/4 ply over a 2x4 frame, and the top is 2 layers of 3/4 ply screwed together with some 2x4 braces underneath.

I don't really like using framing lumber to build stands with, so I tried to hide it as much as I could and I'm allowing for the plywood sides to give lateral support. Once the face frame and panels go on it will look like a high end piece from the outside. you'll have to stick your head inside to see the support legs. I think with it painted the inside will look pretty cool.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
johnathan,

my sleep schedule is all messed up... i have a big meeting tomorrow and can't sleep. i managed to get about 10 hours this weekend.

-steve

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
moving the tank day

hey all, we are going to be trying to finish building Steve's stand on friday.
we can use some help moving it off the stand. if anyone is available to help please let us know. it's in Queens by the way.

thanks.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
cali_reef,

the demensions on the tank are slightly off and they put the overflow in the wrong place.... i'm slightly annoyed and will give gc's a call today. thanks for asking.

-steve

btw if anyone can make it to help move the tank my new place is on 51st street and queens blvd in sunnyside. thanks

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Steve they didn't put the overflow in the wrong place. If the tank is not eurobraced they can't put the overflow in the center.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: