Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
New addition!! :)

2963007700_0267f46672.jpg

2962162329_7fb6a34c23.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I did research and I didn't come across any indications that they would be difficult to get eating prepared foods. :( I knew that they weren't fussy about nori, but most of the websites I looked at spoke positively about they accepting spirulina and flakes.

He was definitely interested in the flakes when I fed them this afternoon, though I'm not sure if he actually ate any of them - he swam into a cave when the other fish started swimming around and eating aggressively.

Right now there is enough filamentous algae on my rocks that he doesn't need to eat prepared food. I scraped my tank before I took that photo but the back looks a little like astroturf. He's already picking at the glass and some of the rocks. If all else fails, I'll see if Dom will come over and work his voodoo fish eating magic.

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Yeah, it is not uncommon for them to pick at everything and never develop an interest in other stuff, and slowly whither and die. Certainly, this is not always the case, but I've seen it happen more than a few times. I'm sure where and how they were caught and how they were handled plays a big role.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I did research and I didn't come across any indications that they would be difficult to get eating prepared foods. :( I knew that they weren't fussy about nori, but most of the websites I looked at spoke positively about they accepting spirulina and flakes.

He was definitely interested in the flakes when I fed them this afternoon, though I'm not sure if he actually ate any of them - he swam into a cave when the other fish started swimming around and eating aggressively.

Right now there is enough filamentous algae on my rocks that he doesn't need to eat prepared food. I scraped my tank before I took that photo but the back looks a little like astroturf. He's already picking at the glass and some of the rocks. If all else fails, I'll see if Dom will come over and work his voodoo fish eating magic.

Hi Lissa ;-)
I had one that took one month to start eating prepared foods. It grazed all day long on the live rock for algae, and was difficult to see as it avoided to be among the active fish, so basically in the beginning all I could see mostly were her/his yellow eyes, so I called her/him "eyes". I progressively gained its trust and got her/him eating prepared foods by moisten and macerate between my fingers, ocean nutrition red algae, which is very well accepted by many fish as I could experience in other situations (possibly because its tasty, has attractive odor?!...). This way the macerated bits of algae were gently taken bit by bit by "eyes" in the tranquility of her/his hideout as most of the other fish didn't pay much attention to that food and even if they did, enough remained available long enough to reach "eyes". Progressively "eyes" became more confident and started to come out more often and eat some of the food left by the other more active fish, then this evolved for it to mingle with all the others a eat like the others. One day I lost her/him due to some disease brought by some new pipe fish that I had brought to my refugium...it was one of two casualties I had...I miss her...so when I saw yours it brought good memories and since you placed it in your calm and beautiful tank, which also has some algae it likes, and know that you also ask at the shop to see if the fish is eating, I didn't mention, so good thing that prattreef brought this aspect, that some times it can prove difficult do adapt, however once adapted it is an excellent fish. I cross fingers for the best. Hope it likes the spirulina flakes.

I'll try to find a picture of "eyes" and this was were she lived

http://www.reefforum.net/anexos/PICT0036.MOV

http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/data/509/AQ_22_Agosto_06_.jpg

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I got three of these yesterday (Gobiodon okinawae - yellow clown goby). I think two of them are a m/f pair as they are very chummy and hang out together. The other stays on the other side of the tank.

2969842277_829ac07bda.jpg

My Kole tang is eating algae like a champ as well as cyclopeez. I think he'll eat other prepared foods in time. :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Always a pleasure, Russ. :)

And PS: the Kole Tang is eating prepared foods (mysis, cylopeez and flakes thus far) as well as cleaning up my rock for me so I feel confident about his long term survival in my tank. He came down with some ich (the first fish in my tank ever to show signs of it) but it has since faded and none of the other fish are showing signs of it. Since tangs are proverbial "ich magnets" I was prepared for it.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Excellent news. Funny you should mention the Kole and ich. I haven't added a new fish to my tank in over two years. A couple of times a year, for maybe one or two days, max, my Kole tang will show a spot or two of ich. Next day it's gone. I never treat it, but for some reason, out of the blue this will happen. Strange, IMO. I also have a Hippo Tang in the same tank. He doesn't ever show signs of ich, nor do any of my other fish. ONLY the Kole and ONLY for a day or two. :scratchch

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: