Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think I have lost my mandarin - and not from starving as he was fat and happy, but from ich. :( I haven't seen him in two days now. In fact, I predict that I am going to lose my tailspot blenny and my royal gramma as well. My lamarcki angel is starting to look better and she keep going to be cleaned by my new cleaner shrimp which will hopefully help.

Yellow clown goby, male and female pylei wrasses, chromis and firefish still have no signs of infection. I think they are safe.

After all signs of infection are gone, if I wait for 6 weeks do you think I'll be able to add more fish again?

Here is my favorite new frag!

3071672531_0338e144b9_o.jpg

3071672535_9a41a8cf8d_o.jpg

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I like the colors on that frag, I can see why it's a favortie; you know the name?

I've never know a Mandarin to get ich, they have a thick slime coat that many feel makes them unlikely to get it; I'd double check the overflow and sump, never knew them as jumpers until I found one of mine there. 6 weeks is long enough if the tank was fishless but as long as you have fish in the tank the ich will never be eliminated.

And from the looks of it you do have the upgrade bug as well, based on your sig the bug will bite come spring.....120G is 4' wide, just a little taller and wider so not much real estate is needed....think of the aquascaping :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
No more upgrades. :) I had the opportunity and I passed it by.

I didn't think mandarins got ich either, but mine definitely has it. White spots and his colors are not as vibrant as they ought to be. perhaps he will pull through - we shall see. I truly believe I am going to lose all of the fish that got ich though.

I think as long as the fish that are in there don't ever show any signs of ich, it should be virtually eliminated. They need a fish to finish its life cycle. If the fish are immune or fight it off, then that should be that - no more ich. I'll probably wait at least a couple of months before I add any new fish after this fiasco though. :(

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm curious what makes a fish immune to ich? I had several fish that never showed signs of ich while some were covered in it. How does the fish prevent a parasite from attaching.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'm curious what makes a fish immune to ich? I had several fish that never showed signs of ich while some were covered in it. How does the fish prevent a parasite from attaching.

Oh I thought there was plenty of research :irked:

Ich is one of the most studied fish diseases out there. It effects the fish farming industry way more than people with fish tanks.

The facts are all out there. You just need to read them and understand them ;)

FTW : the only way to keep ich out of your system for good would require having a DT, a QT and a tank to keep everything but fish to let any free swimming or hitch hiker ich die before getting in your DT. Oh and don't forget a hospital tank. Most people won't do this, so most everyone gets ich in the tank at some point.

google Ichthyophthirius studies and see what comes up, there are more studies than you would want to read.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes there is, I never said I read it all though ;)
thanks for posting my quote so I don't have to :lol2:

but really I know how to prevent and kill ich in the tank, but not how a fish wards off ich.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't think a fish becomes immune to ich, healthy fish just handle it better; perhaps like a cold for us. It would explain why someone can have a healthy tank for months and never show signs but stress a fish and that immunity has lessend giving the parasite the upper hand. How many people have thought they had ich but only lasted a day or two, not enough time to harm the fish but long enough perhps to maintin ichs survival in the tank. Knock on wood since my last battle with it I have yet to have a fish come down with it, but I let the tank run fallow for 2 months and kept all the fish in hypo for 4 weeks to ensure I eliminated it plus all new fish get 45 day QT... so far so good. IMO your tank either has it or not, parasite has to ome from a host.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I was also under the impression that Mandarins did not get ich :scratch: Too confusing for me.

It's rare to see a Mandarins show signs of ich, as they have a thick mucus coating which makes it hard for the ich spores to come through, but they do get ich. The ich is inside the body and usually the spores will show on the eyes and gills, and in some cases on the body. It's very similar to Eels, which can and do get ich.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think it is marine velvet, and not ich.

RIP Lamarcki Angelfish. You are missing and presumed dead as you did not come out after I loaded the tank with food. You were the only real impulse fish buy I've ever made and you were a good fish. You were a pretty blue color and had nice streamers on your tail. I'm sorry I introduced a virulent pathogen into your pretty new reef where you liked to swim back and forth across the tank.

2965335314_48ae60eb4d_m.jpg
2336254086_5ea0bcf04c_m.jpg
1717842884_820f1ed8c2_m.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: