Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks all. :) Eventually, I'll like to add a couple of more SPS pieces, but I need to find the right ones. I think I'm pretty much done stocking coral though. The maze coral in the front has been growing quickly for me - it's grown more since October than it had the entire last year, I think. It's turning into quite the showpiece.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Oh please. You have a tank loaded with cool stuff! :)

My fat little mandarin doesn't come out much anymore - apparently there are enough delicious things to eat in the rockwork that he rarely ventures out into the open. I snapped a few of him the other day when he was out and about, if nothing else for reference. My mandarin is very very healthy - I suspect that he is eating my flatworms and there is almost an inexhaustable supply of those!

Look how fat his little belly is! I almost forgot what mandarins are supposed to look like as most of the ones I see in stores are way too thin. Any vague appearance of a line is because the lower part of his belly is fatter than the upper part.

3247895527_6e9d27db43_o.jpg

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Nice manderin.. I had a green one but now I only have 4 psychedelics.. The green one spotted was the unfortunate victim of a powerhead... Which is not that bad as he was harassing the other 4,,lol... Not funny though... Nice tank also..

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I love wrasses, though in my 40 Br I was limited to my pair of pylei wrasses as the female in particular has a nasty disposition. Well, I few months ago I introduced an enormous male chrysotaenia wrasse to my tank and he seems to have cowed my pylei pair. I added the chrysotaenia wrasse in the hopes that he would eat my flatworms. His little mouth is so perfectly adapted to it and yet ... he prefers to scavenge old flakes off of the sand as opposed to flat worms. So, two days ago I added a small red-tailed tamarin wrasse which I got from another member. She was eating mysis before I put her in my tank and this morning, I watched her rip a flatworm off of the rocks and eat it. I hope she grows big and fat exhausting my near inexhaustable supply of flatworms. Right now she is tiny - the only fish I have smaller than her is my yellow clown goby - all of the other wrasses totally ignore her.

3444609645_acfda2ef6a.jpg

H. chrysotaenia (male)

3444609649_190632a8dc.jpg

C. pylei
(female - vanuatu color morph)

3444609659_3fc31e4307.jpg

A. chrysocephalus (female)

My male pylei was not cooperating today, so here's a slightly older photo for reference:

2227832032_fefbf1bbb9.jpg

C. pylei (male - Sulawesi color morph)

And yes, I should clean my glass.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
IMO, that male H. chrysotaenia is actually an H. leucurus (syn. H. richmondi).

Excerpt from "Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and their relatives" Kuiter 2002: H. leucurus "males are recognised by their grey-looking head when seen in natural light" and "head of males usually grey with blue lines"

Excerpt #2: H. chrysotaenia "males are distinguished from H. melanurus by their spotted caudal fin" which your fish lacks ;)

Still one of the most beautiful Halichoeres I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: